“Excellent staff!! Stayed here to go to Medical Center”

La Quinta Inn & Suites San Antonio Medical Center
Ranked #53 of 356 Hotels in San Antonio
dallas, tx
“Excellent staff!! Stayed here to go to Medical Center”
Reviewed 10 June 2009

What an amazing staff at this hotel! Booked this hotel for me and a family member that was going to the Medical Center! Could not have asked for a better staff! Always asking me if I needed help. Very clean, nice pool area and workout area! Great breakfast, they even have a little bistro at night, so if you have a long day at Medical center and don't want to go out and find food, you can get it at the hotel. Microwaves and mini fridge in the room The lady at the front desk remembered me from when I called and asked about the handicapped rooms! Recommend this for ANYONE going to Medical Center.

• Stayed June 2009

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Boise, Idaho
Reviewed 16 April 2009

Just an FYI, book with a backup plan…
I don’t know what to say about all these positive reviews…
I booked this hotel because of the good rating here on TA and we found almost every positive thing said to be not so with the exception of the staff, very friendly as mentioned. I must say that I am thinking these reviews are either written by the hotel management or individuals who confused this property with another in the area as there is no shortage of La Quinta’s around…
The lists of negatives are endless. Take every positive, reverse it and you might come close to the real facts.
We travel a lot and just don’t experience these issues and rarely complain let alone write a 98% negative review. My few reviews, with the exception of only one are all good, 4-5’s. I tend to write reviews for the good and bad only when needed, this to be my second bad “needed”.
-Rooms are very small, the suite is a more common size for most standard comparable hotel rooms at maybe HIE, Hamptons or equivalent.
-It is not a new property as the hotel staff would wish you to believe. It is a beautiful refurbish but that is it, just cosmetic. It looks great, but the looks are grossly deceiving.
-Noise? We where even warned at check in that it may be noisy, especially when the weekend comes, this was a Wednesday. The staff said “they try to manage it as best as possible but it will still be a problem”. Most of the noise comes from through/under the doors from the hallway and other rooms. The windows let in the traffic on the busy highway out the front, and from the rear pool area. I called the front desk after 11pm and asked if they could have the 4+ people that where having light conversation at the pool area to wrap it up. Again, they were talking lightly but it seeped through the A/C unit on the second floor like they were sitting in our room. Finally at 1:45am they went to bed, front desk had totally blown us off… We had to leave the A/C fan on all night so we couldn’t hear the hallway and exterior noise.
-Rooms are dark, poor lighting (new neon bulbs), no light on the work desk in the rooms.
-Beds are great, the sheets are fitted but do not fit, corners worked their way up all night long.
-One post made note on theft? We did not experience that but in my opinion a hotel that has safes in each room and the TV is security wired??? You make the call!
-Restaurants in the area? Not many choices for a quality meal. A few fast food chains, plenty of independent establishments. They do have a Benihana’s about a block away but that is it…
-If you need wheelchair accessibility forget it! Very small rooms but plenty of them and bath doors that open inward to room and not all the way open which makes it near impossible to get in. poor design. If you are persistent on staying at this location, ask for the one and only accessible suite. Request and demand it to be blocked in advance and in writing.
Again, with the exception of the staff being friendly, and it being a great looking property, every positive on this hotel in my opinion was very inconsistent with our experience. We had booked almost a week stay but checked out the very next day, ASAP! Found a new Holiday Inn Express just down the road a couple of miles, very nice.
Again, I cannot even imagine where all these positive reviews came from, honestly. The staff was great as reviewed but can only do no more than keep telling you they are sorry.
This property has the feel of a hotel that deals with the soccer and softball youth teams which is fine if you are a participant with your kids… This was a Wednesday for our stay, not the weekend.
We did not have their breakfast although it looked like they did a good job.
If you book and stay, bring your ear plugs at your own risk and don’t ever say that you where not warned… It is a VERY noisy, thin skinned hotel in our opinion…

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank flyfinucane
Kansas
Reviewed 3 April 2009

The check-in lady was very pleasant & accomodating. Upon booking the reservation online I had (almost jokingly) wrote under 'requests' that I wanted the cleanest, quietest room. The young lady more than accomodated. She actually READ that on my reservation and gave us a room on the top floor in the corner. It was so quiet & private, I really don't think anyone else was up there. That was great! In addition, we made mention that we'd like to keep an eye on our car in the parking lot, and from our room we had a clear shot of it. The parking lot was nice sized & not packed full, so we weren't crammed in like sardines, didn't have to stress about getting our new car door dinged.
The room was very nicely laid out & everything was very clean & pristine looking, (except the carpet), the bathroom was clean & nice, a beautiful long countertop, I loved that. The only complaint about the bathroom, there wasn't very good water pressure. I have got to have a shower & a sink that practically pummels me to a pulp in order to feel clean & feel like the suds in my long hair are rinsed out. My husband mentioned the lack of water pressure too,- usually he's pretty laid-back. Also, the room carpet was filthy, it had huge stains, like plate-size stains,. made me feel icky. I laid down newspapers so I wouldn't have to walk on it. I've read the usual horror stories about filthy nasty carpets & bedspreads ect...in hotels, so i'm squeemish about those things. I always pack along my own bedding & towels too, but that's my own neurotic issues lol. Anyway, the only reasons I didn't give this hotel 5 stars, is the dirty carpet, and the bathroom had no fan, and low water pressure. I have got to have fans in the bathroom for the noise, and also for air circulation. Evidently it's a La Quinta thing because we stayed at another one the very next night and they didn't have a fan either, (and it wasn't nearly as nice overall), I think we must have got lucky with the first one, we had never stayed in one before but wanted to give it a shot. We did. As in our case, sometimes it's just best to stay in the hotels or hotel chains that you know you like, and that have the accomodations you need.
As I mentioned, we stayed in another La Quinta the next night in the Dallas area, and the hotel & lobby looked so immaculate I thought for sure i'd be thrilled. But there again, in the room, no bathroom fan, low water pressure, and the desk clerk not only didn't accomodate the 'quiet' request, he put us in a room with next door neighbors that had the TV blaring all night long. It didn't matter tho because I certainly couldn't sleep anyways, for when we went to take off their bedding to put my own on, there was a little LIVE spider in the bed. That pretty much did me in.
Overall, I would not hesitate to recommend this La quinta/ San Antonio Medical Center to anyone, given the issues I had are probably only issues for me. This hotel is friendly, cleaner than a lot i've stayed in, and very nicely laid out & welcoming.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple
Bristow, Virginia
Reviewed 14 March 2009

Got this hotel on same crazy deal from hotels.com, $62.50 per night. The normal hotel rate is about $110/night. Even if I paid the higher rate, I would have given this hotel a great rating. The service staff was very helpful, polite, and nice! The room was very comfortable, the bed was amazing, and the whole room was very clean. The breakfast changed a bit every morning and was always delicious! The lady who made sure it was always stocked was always coming out asking people if they needed anything. Great location to Six Flags, Seaworld, and I10. Great hotel, I would definetly stay here again!!

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 16 February 2009

We stayed at this LQ for one night, for Valentine's Day. The lobby and lower area is very new, but the upper floors do show some slight wear...still, it was Very clean, quiet and comfortable! The location is good, as we don't head for the Riverwalk area, but choose to go to local places for nightlife.(RW is only 15 minutes away, so very doable, too!) Easy access from the highway. NO noise at all from the road, and the larger (mini suite) rooms are so deep, that our being right by the ice machine and elevator (usually reasons I ask to Change rooms in a hotel!), were also no problem; we never heard a peep from either, nor doors slamming, people talking in the halls, etc.

The bed is wonderful,amenities in room very nice,too. The entire staff very friendly and welcoming; the front desk even called up, right after we got in our room, to see if everything was satisfactory! :) They have a very nice pool and outdoor patio area,and 2 computers at access for guests, at all times, with a printer etc. Great place for families with children, or adults looking for a break and relaxation!

Wil stay again, and definitely recommend to others!

West Texas
Reviewed 9 February 2009

Just returned from a one night stay at this hotel. Had an appointment at the Medical Center which was 1.5 miles away. Easy access off I-10 with plenty of restaurants near by. The hotel itself is nice and new. Rooms are quiet and beds comfortable. Small fridge and microwave in room. Breakfast is included; cereal, waffles, hard boiled eggs, etc. I will be back! Oh, by the way - we had our boat with us and there is a huge parking lot! We had no problems parking it.

• Check-in / front desk
Laredo, Texas
Reviewed 2 February 2009

This is a great place to stay. It's a newer hotel that -- in my opinion -- is as nice as many higher-rated hotels (i.e., Marriott). Complimentary breakfast is standard, of course, with many hot items. There is also a "bistro" in the evenings, which we didn't try, but it's good to know it's available. Marble vanities in the bathrooms and refrigerator/microwave in all rooms are a nice touch. We'll definitely stay here again.

• Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)