“Nice choice near airport”

TownePlace Suites San Antonio Airport
Ranked #93 of 357 Hotels in San Antonio
Reviewed 9 June 2009

Stayed here for a weekend on Marriott Rewards points, because it used the least points of Marriott properties in the area. We were very surprised on how nice a hotel it was. The property is very new, and the studio room was very good. Excellent temperature control, great kitchen, flat screen TV, well appointed, spacious and good layout. Bed was very comfortable. Although near highway and airport was very quiet. The room was very clean too. The laundry facilities were very good and having a laundry basket in the room a plus. The front desk staff were one of the best I have experienced, and helped with many questions. The hotel shuttle was accommodating - and would taking us to the Quarry - not just the airport. The close proximity to Wal-Mart Supercenter (walkable) was great for groceries. However, the hotel is hard to find, they are a bit short on parking spaces, short on tables in the breakfast area (often had to take breakfast back to room due to lack of available space to sit and eat there), and the complimentary breakfast while above average was constantly running out (not enough staff to replenish in a timely manner) with not enough fresh fruit. This is a very popular place, especially with families on the weekends, so expect it to be crowded (and for good reason). However, despite these minor shortcomings, I would definitely return - even as a paying customer.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 3 January 2009

This was our first stay at a TowneSuites property.

The arrival experience was fine for the property class: no bellman or valet, of course, but there were luggage carts easily available, and a quick check-in at the desk.

"Suite" is a bit of a misnomer when it comes to the studio suite, which is simply a standard hotel room with a tiny kitchenette in the entryway. It was significantly smaller than the typical extended-stay suite, even for the studio size. However, for a 12-hour stay, this was perfectly adequate. The furnishings and amenities were standard and satisfactory; the television was a smaller LCD flat panel.

A note about the location: the property is HARD on a very noisy set of elevated highways. I was quite afraid of intolerable noise given that our room faced the highways. However, sound insulation was complete. (That said, I can't imagine enjoying the outdoor pool, which is directly exposed to that noise.)

We did not use the wired in-room Internet. There was a two-desktop one-printer business center in the main lobby, with (alas, improperly configured) widescreen monitors and fast and functional Internet. We did not use the pool due to cold(er) winter weather, but did use the fitness center. The fitness center was a bit limited for a brand class which Marriott says is designed for particularly lengthy stays -- three cardio machines (one bike, one treadmill, one elliptical) and one rack of hand dumbbells.

We used both the "social hour" light dinner and the breakfast. The light dinner was tasty, although the choice to have alcohol (wine and beer) be free while soft drinks were not free was an odd one -- a Southern thing, perhaps? The breakfast was decent, with hot eggs and sausages and the balance being a typical continental breakfast setup. Actually a positive for us traveling small kids, but you may not feel the same way, was that the baked goods were all unsweetened -- i.e., there were bagels, sliced bread and English muffins, but no regular muffins, donuts or other pastries.

The shuttle to the airport is on-demand, we waited about 2 minutes and were taken by ourselves directly to our terminal -- the best kind of service for that particular offering!

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 14 October 2008

I need a place to stay near the airport and did search here on this site going over the reviews. This seemed like the best review for the price. I agree

I called the hotel to request a shuttle when I got to the airport and they came quickly.

The staff at the desk was one of the friendliest most helpful hotel staff I've dealt with. They were very friendly when checking in, explaining where the thermostat was located and other things to know about the room. I was asked which floor I preferred.

The room was a nice size. King Sized bed - with a small kitchen area with stove, refrigerator, microwave and sink. Flat screen tv was in an odd place to see from the bed - the corner was blocked. Also had a desk with chair and another comfortable chair. Didn't hear any noise.

The person at the front desk was very helpful. When I asked about any local places to get dinner, he said the shuttle would take me to any of the local restaurants and then gave me some menus of restaurants that delivered directly to the hotel.

Also free internet and printer in the lobby. Free breakfast.

• Stayed: October 2008
Reviewed 13 October 2008

So we travel with work and we stay at hotels for months at a time! We stayed at a TownePlace Suites in Arlington, Tx...In not the greatest part of town and had no problems what so ever. The staff was good and there was no "shady" activity! So we get transfered to San Antonio and have only 3 days to move! So I suggested TownePlace Suites, because they were good, We get here and wanted a room on the 1st floor, which I requested when I made the reservation, because, we have a dog and both of us smoke... We get here and they were not able to get us on the 1st floor for 2 days. We had been staying for 2 weeks and both of the weekends we traveled to go see family! Well the 3rd weekend we stayed! This is where it gets good...Or bad for you if you choose to stay here. We get up Saturday and get ready to go get some dinner and notice that someone has BROKEN INTO our Expedition! Great! Stole all personal information, but nothing of value! Call the cops make a report and we were on our way. We get back to the hotel and park the car by the door under a light since the back window was smashed in! Well, we go out to smoke at around 11:00pm and the vehicle was there... There is a "security guard" that comes on at 11... We come back out around 12:30 to come out to...Guess... NO CAR! STOLEN! With the security guard standing right in the parking spot where our car was parked! On their watch our car got STOLEN, JACKED! But guess what... No one saw a thing! Never saw a big green Expedition leave the parking lot and "security" was outside the whole time...so he says! He also had the nerve to ask us if we were sure that we parked there! Uh yeah we know where we parked! And they block off the side entrance so they can "see" what comes in and out of the parking lot! They have no cameras in the parking lots and all we got was Oh Im so sorry for your loss! If you stay here you really are staying and parking your car AT YOUR OWN RISK... but we are out of a $35,000 car! Thanks!

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled on business
5  Thank macfan86
Reviewed 8 September 2008

I'll start off by saying I'm a Platinum Marriott Rewards member for the last 10 years or so. So, I'm well acquainted with the chain.

The Towneplace Suites by the SA Airport is a gem. It's a little hard to find. Granted. But for my families needs, it's perfect. My son just began playing football at nearby Trinity university and this hotel is literally 5 minutes drive away. It's new and clean.

The staff is absolutely the friendliest of any Marriott staff anywhere I've ever been. I guess this starts from the top and works its way down. While I was in the lobby working on my laptop one day, I saw several folks coming in to interface with the manager (non-guests). I was impressed with the way she handled the folks coming in to see her. Her friendliness was quite evident. The staff is incredibly accommodating.

The rooms are quiet and comfortable. Very nice layouts. Granted, there are a few windows in one area that only open to a wall six feet away, it's not that bad really. If you 're a late sleeper, there's not a lot of sun trying to sneak into your window. Find your pleasures where you can, right? The little kitchnettes are slick. Cook top, microwave, mini-dishwasher and very large fridge and sink area. It's small, but my wife managed to whip up a home-cooked meal for our semi-homesick freshman college student. Nothing like Mama's cooking! And, all the utensils, dishes and such were there in the room waiting on us.

The location is a bit of a pain due to the massive construction going on near 410 and 281. But, if coming from downtown on 281 north, just take the Jones-Maltsburger exit (next to the Alamo Quarry Mall) and go left under the freeway, following J-M north until you get to the 410 feeder road. Turn right and you're there. Easy once you've done it once.

There are two malls nearby and the staff was gracious enough to give my wife a ride to either at any time. My wallet says thank you very little!

The breakfast is better on the weekdays than the weekends, but it's free and hot regardless and a nice touch. The free "snacks" they put out in the evening M-Th are also nice. This past Thursday night was spaghetti and meatballs and caesar salad, beer, wine and iced tea. And, it was good.

We sat in the lobby/breakfast area after the game saturday night, enjoying pizza we ordered, celebrating the night's victory. When we asked for a few cups so folks could drink some water, cups arrived as well as pitchers of iced water.

The hotel rates are rather inexpensive for a new hotel in San Antonio. I can really find no real faults with this place. I have already booked many more home game weekends and am eagerly looking forward to saying hello to the staff again next weekend. I've stayed there two or three times now in the last month or two. Top notch place. Great bang for the buck.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled with family
1  Thank Scott_FItzpatrick
Reviewed 31 July 2008

My wife, son, and I stayed one night at this Towneplace on a weekend getaway. It is new and in very good condition. The people at the front desk were friendly and helpful. The pool is small but nice. Breakfast was fine - on par with what one would expect for this type of hotel.

The location is very good for the airport and Quarry Market. Highway construction made getting in a bit tricky, until we figured out the right way to get in and out. There are a some good restaurants close by. The highway runs right past the hotel, but we did not notice any traffic noise.

The hotel is about 15 minutes from Fiesta Texas (on Sunday morning and evening). This would not be the most convenient place for spending time at the Riverwalk or at SeaWorld.

Rooms come only with King bed and pull out sofa (no double bed rooms). This was fine for us, with only 3 people, but the pullout sofa would not be comfortable with two people teenaged or older.

Price of $159 seems a bit high for a Towneplace.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled with family
Reviewed 28 July 2008

Just returned from a night at this hotel and it is a nice property. Everything looks new and clean. Rooms are nicely decorated with a gold accent wall, flat screen TV, and a small kitchenette that has a fridge, cooktop, microwave and dishwasher. And there's a nice little swimming pool. As new and clean as it is, I will say it was difficult for us to find. Not impossible. But with Mapquest directions printed out, we still ended up doubling back and looking really hard for it. Once we spotted it, we almost passed the entrance, which is just past the hotel. It is located near the airport at the intersection of several highways, and is almost directly underneath one of the flyovers from one of the highways. That being said I would stay here again for certain things. We were visiting relatives so we weren't looking for a place to vacation. If that's what you're after, I wouldn't choose this hotel. The view out of our window was a wall from another part of the hotel. I didn't mind too much on this trip, but it's not what I want to see if I'm staying for several days. And at 5 a.m., the place is like Grand Central Station. I thought the entire hotel must have been leaving between 5 and 7 a.m. (Such is the plight of an airport hotel) But for our purposes it was fine. Last year we stayed at the Residence Inn Marriott/Stone Oak up on the 1604 Loop, which is a less congested, quieter, prettier area of San Antonio (albeit farther away from the Riverwalk and not in an area where there seems to be much to do). But that hotel wasn't as nice as this one, so I think we made the right choice in moving to the TownePlace Suites this time. The breakfast is also pretty good, with eggs, sausage, toast, yogurt, Oatmeal, and cereals.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled with family