“Best Vegetarian in San Antonio....Maybe Texas”

Green Vegetarian Cuisine
Ranked #34 of 4,694 Restaurants in San Antonio
Price range: US$5 - US$10
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Outdoor Seating
Description: Located in the Full Goods Building of the Historic Pearl Brewery
Reviewed 25 July 2014

This is for the East Grayson Street location.

We enjoyed Green Vegetarian Cuisine so much the first time we came back 2 nights later. It is difficult in San Antonio to find vegetarian much less a vegetarian restaurant and even more so one as good as this. The old brick building from 1896 is quaintly renovated and really is "green" as they have repurposed much of the original equipment and installed energy efficient lighting and roof. There are recycling stations, organic and free trade items, cage free eggs etc.. etc..they walk the walk here and mean it.
Besides sitting inside they havea nice patio also.

Our server was a young man and was really nice and friendly..treated us like friends.

The food was great! and something really needed after days of heavy, rich Mexican food. Most of the items are vegetarian but there are vegan and glutten free as well. We had dinner both times we dined but they offer breakfast and lunch as well.
The first night we had a appetizer of Deluxe Nachos...huge plate and very good..we couldn't stop eating them. For entree I had the Real Deal Enchiladas: Two corn tortillas rolled around vegan taco meat, covered in tomato salsa, and cheese anbd served with coconut cilantro rice and refried beans. Teriffic!!
My partner had the Chik-N Fried Chik-N – Battered and fried tender white gardein Chik-N filet smothered in cream gravy and served with mashed potatoes and kale. So good a carnivore would not have been able to tell it was not real meat.

The second evening we had an appetizer of fried mushrooms..another large helping and very good. For entree I had the Chik-N Fried Chik-N and my partner had the Jalapeno Cheese Green Burger – a homemade chickpea-veggie patty topped with melted cheddar and jalapenos and served with avocado, field greens, tomatoes and chipotle mayo. Savory, spicy, and delicious.

I've had several really good vegetarian meals around the country and a few in Europe and I can honestly say OUR experience with Green's was fabulous both times. Next time I'm in San Antonio I plan on coming back.

1  Thank Atlas1175
There are newer reviews for Green Vegetarian Cuisine

Reviewed 22 July 2014

after being in san antonio for months for training, it was nice to find a place that offered fresh, vegetarian/vegan cuisine. as a self-proclaimed vegetarian about 80% of the time, living in the land of meat has been tricky.

atmosphere:
nice shaded outdoor seating area with fans to keep the air flowing and temperatures down. did not go inside.

service:
waitress was super nice and helpful. answered questions thoroughly when asked and offered her opinion on various dishes.

food:
i had the falafel burrito with the quinoa tabbouleh. the burrito was tasty with a nice, crisped wrap. lots of spinach and good tasting tzatziki. falafels were warm and seemed well seasoned. the tabbouleh was overall good but could have used more lemon juice in it for acidity. my friend got sweet potato fries and those were very, very good. they also offer a plethora of vegan sweets/baked goods.

value:
good value. for my meal it was less than $10.

overall:
good food and willing to go back again to try another item or two.

Reviewed 22 July 2014 via mobile

Very vegan friendly. Even the cupcakes are vegan. I have to admit that the cupcakes are a little bland though. I think they could be sweeter. Tons of options from healthy to piggin out. Very friendly staff. The pecan Caesar dressing was delightful.

Reviewed 22 July 2014

I had the Mediterranean bowl and my companion had the eggplant parmesan -- both were excellent. It is difficult to find vegetarian in San Antonio, so given the lack of much real competition, food service and quality here were excellent. The menu is relatively "standard" (i.e., not a lot of creativity) but offers a lot of choice and generous portions. I wouldn't say this is stellar compared to the significantly greater number of vegetarian choices in some other cities, but I was pleasantly surprised that this restaurant not only exists but appears to be thriving in San Antonio. Desserts looked particularlly yummy (and the brownie I bought was very good). Casual setting and being able to eat outdoors was a nice plus.

Reviewed 14 July 2014

I am not vegetarian, but I eat a lot of vegetarian food. Went here for lunch. Had a very nice meal and the food was solidly good. However, I thought the menu lacked the creativity that is possible for a restaurant like this and they don't seem to be fully utilizing the array of flavors and techniques that would make this a truly excellent vegetarian restaurant.