“Fantastic B&B!”

Brackenridge House Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #4 of 42 San Antonio B&B and Inns
Reviewed 28 May 2014

I highly recommend the Brackenridge House B&B. Knowing that I was traveling alone, Lilly, the B&B's proprietor stayed later than usual to meet me, and upon my arrival, she showed me around the house, gave me maps to local attractions, and made sure I was comfortable before heading out that evening. Since other guests decided to leave before breakfast the next morning, she sat with me during my meal and made terrific conversation--we visited over an hour, even after the food was gone. Speaking of the food, it is great too! Eating on the front balcony surrounded by huge trees and lots of song birds made for a very relaxing morning. Additionally, my room was *very* clean and accurately represented by the photos on the website. The only surprises I experience were pleasant ones, such as: complimentary wine, sodas, popcorn, toiletries, chocolates, and water in the room's private fridge. There were even Band-aids in the bathroom, which came in handy after walking around the conference in uncomfortable footwear. One recommendation, don't lose the earplugs; the birds sing exuberantly in the morning, but for us later risers, the plugs nicely drown out their early morning songs! Overall, my room, the Cardinal Room, was very quiet--I could not hear any of the staff or other guests at all.

I echo the positive comments of other guests, as the location of the B&B is ideal. It's near enough to the tourist traps and convention center to walk and avoid paying for parking downtown (Parking at the B&B is free and convenient.), and it is situated a block or two from many great restaurants. I came for a conference that was held in the Marriott, and I walked to the conference each day in about 15 minutes or less. Rosarios', Feast, and Madhatter's Tea House and Cafe are a few of the excellent neighborhoods restaurants that I tried, and each was less than a two minute walk from Brackenridge.

On the last day of my stay, because I had to give an early morning presentation, I knew I would not make it back in time for breakfast, but Lilly generously offered to serve breakfast a little later for me. It's this commitment to customer service and detail that sets the Brackenridge several notches above other B&Bs.

I look forward eventually to returning to the Brackenrigde!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
BrackenridgeHouse, Owner at Brackenridge House Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 27 July 2014

One of the best features of staying at our B&B is the security that single, female travelers can feel. We will always go out of our way to welcome you and to be aware of your comings and goings to the extent that you desire. Our perk as innkeepers is the chance to visit with our guests in comfort and congeniality.

Thank you for the restaurant suggestions. I love eating at Rosario's too. Good luck to you in your new adventure. Come back for another stay. You don't need a conference as an excuse to visit.

Reviewed 26 May 2014

My husband and I live in Austin and went for a quick 2 night trip. The hotel was so cute and clean. The owner Lily was so nice and helpful regarding all the things to do in the area. The house is in a great location and we were able to walk to the Riverwalk, the Blue Star Arts District and several great restaurants and bars. I highly recommend staying here. The breakfast is excellent and you are far enough away from the concentrated tourist area. I would definitely come back and stay again.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
BrackenridgeHouse, Guest Relations Manager at Brackenridge House Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 31 May 2014

Brackenridge House is happy to welcome visitors from near and far. We love meeting people and making recommendations. Now you know where we are, just down the road from Austin, please do come again.

Reviewed 26 May 2014

This has to be the best b&b we have ever stayed at. Bluebird suite was spacious (and there were 3 of us) and comfortable. We loved the little touches, like stocked frig, cream cherri, chocolates, popcorn (in our room!), all the essential items just in case you forgot something (including shaving cream and all natural oatmeal soap!) Now to the food: unbelievably good. It was like having a 5 course meal. The fresh fruit, pastries, the entrees and desert. Location is to die for. Eat at Rosarios (fish tacos).

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family

Location, location, location! We are pleased that you had a good stay, "best" is certainly high praise. Thanks for recommending Rosario's, it's so hard to choose between so many good eateries in the neighborhood.

Reviewed 22 May 2014

We have a lovely stay in the beautiful Brackenridge house. We stayed for six wonderful nights and we loved it. The Mockingbird suite is delightful, the best nights sleep we have had on our trip. Lily and Roland have thought of every detail. Wonderful service and delicious food. The breakfast every morning was spectacular. We have stayed in many bed and breakfasts over the years and this is by far the best one. We can't wait to come back again!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your very kind words. It is good to know that we succeeded in making your stay "wonderful." We look forward to your return.

Reviewed 22 May 2014

What a wonderful place to stay. The rooms all have the name of a bird. We stayed in the cardinal room. The antiques are wonderful and I loved the clawfoot tub!. We had breakfast out on the balcony. Everything was so green, blooming and beautiful in May, with nice breezes. I loved watching occasional people stroll by. German pancakes were great!. Jennifer was very sweet and helpful. I just wanted to walk around and check out the decor. It is in the King William area and you will want to walk down the sidewalks and check out these beautiful and unique homes. It is in walking distance to el mercado, restraunts, river walk and the river city mall. Be sure to wear comfortable shoes as you will want to do a lot of walking. Roland and Lilly are the sweetest people you will ever want to meet. They have a wealth of knowledge of the city between them. It was an incredibly romantic place to stay with my boyfriend but I could see myself staying there on my own as well. Prices were very reasonable. I highly recommend this place and will definitely stay here again on future trips to San Antonio.

Room Tip: The cardinal room was nice and quiet. There is a hot tub out in back.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Excellent advice on the walking shoes! Isn't it great to stay in a location where you can see so much and yet have a cozy and comfortable B&B nearby to relax in. You inspire us to continue to share our knowledge of the city with our guests while providing a beautiful respite. Thank you for staying with us.

Reviewed 21 May 2014

The best thing about Brackenridge House was its location in the King William historic district. There are good restaurants (Feast, Hot Joy, Rosarios), cafe (Madhatters) and ice house right around the corner; it's also 10 - 15 minutes by foot to the River Walk.

The property has nice porches in front and rear deck. Breakfast was fine. Wifi was functional.

On the down side:
- Lots of noise -- train whistles at all hours, and seemingly every few minutes in the early morning; the inn does provide earplugs, and we needed them. Also, from the Mocking Bird suite we heard the morning breakfast being prepared just on the other side of our door. From the Wren, we didn't hear any kitchen noise.
- Amenities / touches were modest. The soap for the shower was a large bottle of Suave body wash. The shampoo was a small bottle printed with Brackenridge house logo many years ago (print wearing off) and refilled with who knows what. Coffee on the coffee / tea bar and in the room was freeze-dried Folgers.
- I didn't meet the owners / "hosts." until the last day of our 4 day stay. The cook / server in the morning (Jennifer) was very nice, but not involved with the business. When I did finally meet innkeeper Lilly, she was pleasant in person. However ...

Very disappointing: inflexible policies that "trapped" us. I booked on Thursday for a pop-up trip, and reserved Fri - Tues. When we got there and decided we'd prefer something else for the last 2 days of our time in San Antonio, we were informed that even with a day's notice of early departure, we would be charged for the entire stay if they couldn't rebook. The rooms had not been booked as of Thurs for the following Sun / Mon, it was very unlikely they would have been rebooked. They offered a voucher: "good for six months from the time of your original reservation, minimum 2 night stay, and on Sunday through Thursday only, no holidays or Fiesta." I would venture a guess these vouchers rarely get used.

It's not so much that I wouldn't stay stay at Brackenridge House again, it's just that I would look elsewhere first. (There are several other BnBs on the same block.) If your plans have any chance of change, I suggest you search for other more flexible options.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

We appreciate it when our guests take the time to share their experience at Brackenridge House B&B. Thank you for your feedback. Our goal is to do whatever we can to provide a space where visitors to San Antonio can have a wonderful time in our city and in our Historic King William District.

There are things which we can control and those we cannot. We are fortunate in our ideal location, but not so fortunate with the surrounding train traffic. We do all we can to mitigate the noise and are aware some guests are more sensitive than others to any disturbance.

Our staff provides many in-room amenities and are attentive without being intrusive. We hope that guests will check out all that is available to them in their rooms.

The Mockingbird Suite is a guest favorite. We are very careful when preparing breakfast to mitigate any noise. The suite has a door separating the bedroom from the sitting room, which is next to the kitchen, to help reduce any noise.

As for our policies, you give me an opportunity to restate the policies included on our website, and to help future guests understand the purpose behind them. Every effort is made to make them fair to both parties. Brackenridge House B&B has been in business for 28 years, a testament to a well run and fiscally sound establishment.

When you book a room, we guarantee that it will be held for you and we never overbook. Cancellations at the last minute are difficult to re-book. We understand that some emergencies come up and will respond accordingly. Our policy clearly states that guests will be charged for cancelled rooms.

Our goal is not to keep your money without giving service for it. That is the reason for the gift certificate for future use. We hope that you will ask any questions you have, or tell us of needs not met during your stay as soon as possible so that we can respond quickly.

We are grateful for the many guests we have who wish they could extend their stay and come back to stay again. We love what we do in Brackenridge House and hope to continue to be a flourishing business for many years to come.

Reviewed 14 May 2014

We were here a whole week visiting our son. This was our second visit to SanAntonio. We were happy with the accommadations at the Brackenridge House.We stayed somewhere else the first time in Texas. My husband and I were even more happier this time because of the hospiality of the inkeeper Lily, we felt right at home.The location si perfect to get to the Riverwalk but a big plus with the Brackenridge is it si VERY QUIET and tranquil. THANK YOU Lily for everything we really enjoyed our stay!!!!! We almost went back and stayed at the same place the firt time we came to SanAntonio but I am sooo... happy we stayed at the Brackenridge House. We loved every minute of our stay. We will be back!!!!

Room Tip: We stayed in the Mockingbird Suite
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

The staff at Brackenridge House will be delighted to welcome you back any time. It is great to know you enjoyed your stay. How wonderful that you could relax and have visits with your son on the verandah. This makes your stay more like a "home away from home."