“Choose this over a downtown hotel”

Brackenridge House Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #4 of 41 San Antonio B&B and Inns
san antonio
“Choose this over a downtown hotel”
Reviewed 7 July 2014 via mobile

You gotta check this place out ! My wife and I stayed here on our "staycation" . We are from San Antonio and always wanted to be tourists in our own town . This is a very nice, quiet clean place with a unique charm and a lot of history . We hung out on the front porch swing at night and had morning coffee on the upstairs veranda. Quite a deal and a refreshing change when compared to the overpriced downtown large hotels . Lily the innkeeper is very inviting and is quite the cook as you will discover during your breakfast here . Staying here , you will be in the heart of "southtown" ... a happenning area ... lots of historic homes in King William area, local art , great restaurants in walking distance , walking tours I recommend this for anyone who wants to be close to the action of downtown but also appreciates the quieter , more relaxed atmosphere . A must do for couples . The house is awesome ... I'll be back .

• Stayed July 2014
1 Thank martin c
BrackenridgeHouse, Owner at Brackenridge House Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, 27 July 2014
We love it when locals come to stay and see the city from a different point of view. It was so nice to meet you. We hope to see you during Fiesta next April and you can enjoy being in the midst of the King William Fair.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
Dothan, Alabama
Reviewed 16 June 2014

My husband and I spent a week in San Antonio at the Brackenridge House. The house is beautiful, our room was quiet and comfortable and the meals that our hostess Lily prepared for us were fantastic. Pretty much everything was within a reasonable walking distance and Lily provided us with a list of local restaurants and shopping venues complete with directions. We found several wonderful restaurants within a couple blocks and enjoyed a variety of different types of cuisine. We normally stay at Hilton properties but have started to find that we enjoy the personal touches that staying at a B&B provides. By far this has been the best B&B experience we have had. I highly recommend anyone even staying one night to forgo the usual high end hotel chain and stay here. You will not regret it.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Hummingbird Room. It is at the back of the house and was very roomy and quiet.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you so much for the high praise. Your enjoyment is the best reward for our efforts. We know how lucky we are to be surrounded by so many great restaurants in walking distance. Do come back again.
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 June 2014

In quite a quirky and beautiful part of San Antonio. About 20 minutes walk along the river to downtown. A fine old house in a quiet street; parking no problem. A selection of cafes and restaurants, as well as a Texan beer garden called, I think, "The Friendly Spot" are within easy walking distance.
The room was Victorian-ish in style. It had a separate kitchen area, which we never used. I felt very at home in it. Only quibbles were (a) a smallish shower room, though we coped ok and (b) ceiling fans, which were fine for April but which might not be so effective in summer.
Breakfasts were freshly prepared each morning and served on the balcony, and were tasty and imaginative. Lily, the proprietor, was very pleasant and welcoming. It was nice to sit and chat to other guests while having breakfast.
I was quite surprised, when we arrived in the evening, to be greeted by a Liverpool accent from the balcony saying "Eh, are you the people from Bristol?" The voice turned out to be one of another Brit couple, with whom we had a good evening in the King William area. Wasn't at my sparkling best next morning, though.
San Antonio was the highlight of our little Texas tour. Brackenridge House definitely contributed to our enjoyment; it was a brilliant base.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank FreakwentFlyer69
Such a nice happenstance to meet folk from your own home town at Brackenridge House B&B. Adventures in a country other than one's own are awesome, but it is always nice to hear a familiar accent. Let us know if you meet up back in England. And we'd love to see you again.
Plano, Texas
Reviewed 1 June 2014

We stayed here for our 25th anniversary. Host was lovely and gracious. Each of the three breakfasts we had there far exceeded our expectations. It was also within easy walking distance to many of San Antonio's familiar tourist destinations. My husband and I would highly recommend this B&B and want to come back.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Wow, it is wonderful to be in business long enough for you to celebrate your 25th at the same inn where you had your Honeymoon. In 2016, Brackenridge House will celebrate its 30th Anniversary. We again wish you both a Happy Anniversary. Don't wait another 25 years to come back for another stay.
Reviewed 28 May 2014

I highly recommend the Brackenridge House B&B. Knowing that I was traveling alone, Lilly, the B&B's proprietor stayed later than usual to meet me, and upon my arrival, she showed me around the house, gave me maps to local attractions, and made sure I was comfortable before heading out that evening. Since other guests decided to leave before breakfast the next morning, she sat with me during my meal and made terrific conversation--we visited over an hour, even after the food was gone. Speaking of the food, it is great too! Eating on the front balcony surrounded by huge trees and lots of song birds made for a very relaxing morning. Additionally, my room was *very* clean and accurately represented by the photos on the website. The only surprises I experience were pleasant ones, such as: complimentary wine, sodas, popcorn, toiletries, chocolates, and water in the room's private fridge. There were even Band-aids in the bathroom, which came in handy after walking around the conference in uncomfortable footwear. One recommendation, don't lose the earplugs; the birds sing exuberantly in the morning, but for us later risers, the plugs nicely drown out their early morning songs! Overall, my room, the Cardinal Room, was very quiet--I could not hear any of the staff or other guests at all.

I echo the positive comments of other guests, as the location of the B&B is ideal. It's near enough to the tourist traps and convention center to walk and avoid paying for parking downtown (Parking at the B&B is free and convenient.), and it is situated a block or two from many great restaurants. I came for a conference that was held in the Marriott, and I walked to the conference each day in about 15 minutes or less. Rosarios', Feast, and Madhatter's Tea House and Cafe are a few of the excellent neighborhoods restaurants that I tried, and each was less than a two minute walk from Brackenridge.

On the last day of my stay, because I had to give an early morning presentation, I knew I would not make it back in time for breakfast, but Lilly generously offered to serve breakfast a little later for me. It's this commitment to customer service and detail that sets the Brackenridge several notches above other B&Bs.

I look forward eventually to returning to the Brackenrigde!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
One of the best features of staying at our B&B is the security that single, female travelers can feel. We will always go out of our way to welcome you and to be aware of your comings and goings to the extent that you desire. Our perk as innkeepers is the chance to visit with our guests in comfort and congeniality.

Thank you for the restaurant suggestions. I love eating at Rosario's too. Good luck to you in your new adventure. Come back for another stay. You don't need a conference as an excuse to visit.
Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed 26 May 2014

My husband and I live in Austin and went for a quick 2 night trip. The hotel was so cute and clean. The owner Lily was so nice and helpful regarding all the things to do in the area. The house is in a great location and we were able to walk to the Riverwalk, the Blue Star Arts District and several great restaurants and bars. I highly recommend staying here. The breakfast is excellent and you are far enough away from the concentrated tourist area. I would definitely come back and stay again.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
BrackenridgeHouse, Guest Relations Manager at Brackenridge House Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, 31 May 2014
Brackenridge House is happy to welcome visitors from near and far. We love meeting people and making recommendations. Now you know where we are, just down the road from Austin, please do come again.
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 26 May 2014

This has to be the best b&b we have ever stayed at. Bluebird suite was spacious (and there were 3 of us) and comfortable. We loved the little touches, like stocked frig, cream cherri, chocolates, popcorn (in our room!), all the essential items just in case you forgot something (including shaving cream and all natural oatmeal soap!) Now to the food: unbelievably good. It was like having a 5 course meal. The fresh fruit, pastries, the entrees and desert. Location is to die for. Eat at Rosarios (fish tacos).

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Location, location, location! We are pleased that you had a good stay, "best" is certainly high praise. Thanks for recommending Rosario's, it's so hard to choose between so many good eateries in the neighborhood.