“Wonderful place”

Ranked #6 of 41 San Antonio B&B and Inns
ODESSA
“Wonderful place”
Reviewed 6 May 2014

We had a wonderful stay! My husband had a business meeting and I was the tourist. Room was clean, comfortable and it is in a great neighborhood. It is a quiet, peaceful neighborhood. It is within walking distance of the Riverwalk, Rivercenter Mall, charming homes in King William District, La Villita, Alamo, and Hemisphere Plaza to name a few things. A lot of tours leave from the Alamo Plaza. They give you breakfast at the Mad Hatter which is a great place to eat. We enjoyed our stay and will stay again next time we are in San Antonio. I enjoyed visiting with the owners and staff. They really made me feel welcome!

louise

Room Tip: This is an Inn, not a full service hotel. We had a downstairs front corner room and did not hear an...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed 4 May 2014

My husband and I stayed 2 nights in the Bella suite. The room was beautiful and inviting, very clean and comfortable, with a nice veranda overlooking the street. The house is in a charming neighborhood of period homes, easy walking distance to the Riverwalk. We like to walk and found the location good for getting to restaurants, the Alamo and Fiesta events. Our host was friendly and provided an excellent restaurant recommendation (Rosarios, we went twice!). We did find the air conditioner a bit loud, but we aren't used to it so perhaps this is normal. We would definitely return if travelling to San Antonio again.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Austin, Texas
Reviewed 1 May 2014

When we travel, I put a lot of thought into each hotel decision; I'm always searching for that perfect mix of local charm, proximity to sites, and luxury. The KWM has all that! After spending the day exploring the downtown and the adjacent king William neighborhood, it is great to return to a lovely room with a big comfortable bed. I especially like the upper deck of the guest house, where you can relax and people watch as the evening winds down (with a Tower view and a bottle of wine).

The owners took care to make sure we well satisfied during our stay. They had good recommendations for local restaurants and suggested a couple of sites we might have otherwise missed. Overall, our KWM visit was a fabulous experience that we hope to repeat.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
kwmsa, Owner at King William Manor, responded to this review, 6 May 2014
Thanks for your positive feedback! We hope to see you again real soon!
San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed 22 April 2014

Arrived promptly at 3:00pm for check in. Celebrating my 50th birthday, should have stayed home.
Staff non existent. A young man asked us if we were someone's relatives, didn't ask us if we were guests until I said so.

Room was large, ceiling fan broken (clank clank clank ALL the time). Low ceiling in bathroom. Hit my head on a crossbeam ( I am 6'2"). BIZAAR shower; smaller than a shoe closet with LOW water pressure.

No one checked on us the entire visit. No checkout instructions, had to leave keys next to a laptop computer i saw them use to register us.

BREAKFAST! hmmmm, a coupon for a restaurant down the street. Gratuity and taxes NOT included. For $200.00 a night you would expect more than this!!

I would not recommend this place!! EVER

Room Tip: YOU wish a good room?? stay at the Marriot Riverwalk!!
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank cls78254
kwmsa, Owner at King William Manor, responded to this review, 25 April 2014
I am sorry you did not enjoy your stay at King William Manor. I wish you would have alerted us about the issue with the fan. All of our rooms and bathrooms are different. Some of our rooms have bigger showers and some have bigger bath tubs. I would like for our future guests to know that the breakfast voucher includes an entree and beverage for two and includes all Taxes. It is not a "coupon".
The Marriott is a nice hotel downtown, however I do believe that you miss out on the charm of an independent, locally owned business when staying at chain hotels. We value all of our guests suggestions and take our reviews seriously. It surprises me when we find out this way that someone was dissatisfied. I wish you would have given us the opportunity to address your concerns.
Liberty, WV
Reviewed 8 April 2014 via mobile

We stay in B&B's to avoid the sterile atmosphere of hotels. We like the personal touches in decor, the friendly assistance of hosts, and the home-cooked breakfasts. None of that is readily available at King William Manor. When we arrived 20 minutes early, the doors were locked and no one was at the reception desk. The room was large but nondescript. Breakfast was down the street. The owners were very helpful with arranging a bike trip for us on the Mission Trail. Overall, though, this seems to be an inn rather than a B&B, an inn minus someone always in reception.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 26 March 2014

I spent two nights in the Amelia Room of the KWM for a conference recently. it was such a treat -- from the spacious suite, complete with king-sized bed and fireplace, and jacuzzi tub -- staying at KWM, that I was thrilled I hadn't gone with a hotel. Wireless worked great and made it easy to do my work. KWM doesn't offer a breakfast on site, but they do provide breakfast vouchers for the Madhatter, a charming spot a short block away -- good food! I also liked that my room featured a Keurig coffeemaker. Close to the Riverwalk -- managed a great run one morning. Super experience, highly recommended!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
Glendale, Arizona, United States
Reviewed 11 March 2014

We stayed at KWM 3 nights in the Amelia Room. The staff was very accommodating and we were treated to some rain and a "First Friday" as well. The room was a good size and the bed was comfy with good linens. I've stayed in a few B&Bs in CA and VT and really enjoyed the KWM. I liked the in room coffee and the fact that they supplied pretty good coffee and creamers...not that powered stuff. The lobby is nice and filled with good books; I really would have enjoyed up to date info on the KWM neighborhood local eateries/stores since we didn't want to eat at Riverwalk every night.

A few items to improve on: insulate the windows somehow-I know it's historic and you can't mess with stuff but it did get cold even with all windows shut; provide nicer hangers in the closet; provide a more substantial shelf in the bathroom for guests' personal items-the only shelf was above the toilet and you know what happens when you leave the lid up! Also could have used 2-3 more pillows, luggage rack to open suitcase on, and to know whether or not the damper was open for the gas fireplace. Also, this is not a true B&B as you don't eat breakfast at the Inn...BUT the Madhatter was great! We had 3 meals there and I was wishing I had time to try the high tea they had but maybe next time.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple