“Don't waste your time and money”

Inn on the Riverwalk
Ranked #1 of 41 San Antonio B&B and Inns
Mineral Bluff, Georgia
“Don't waste your time and money”
Reviewed 13 January 2014

We were unfortunate enough to stay at the Inn on the Riverwalk (on Woodward St. depending on the website, it may be called Inn on the River, not to be confused with the Inn on the Riverwalk on Washington St.)for five nights 27Dec-31Dec. The once beautiful old Victorian home has been the victim of additions, carefully avoided in web pictures of the house, which are architectural nightmares. The cheaply built deck is trashy and also an insult to the grand old home. There was trash and discards everywhere and the porch and sidewalks were littered with leaves and twigs—obviously unswept for some time. The grounds are poorly maintained, full of weeds and half-dead plants. If the deck was torn off and a stone patio installed, one could actually see the river instead of a hedge of overgrown shrubs.
The diningroom is reminiscent of high school cafeterias—no historical ambience at all. There is no sitting room or livingroom in which to read or socialize. This has been very prominent in B&Bs where we have stayed. The original livingroom has become two bedrooms.
The smoke detectors in our room were inoperable (no mechanism or batteries) as was the case in the diningroom. One of our lamps had the switch control missing. There is no overhead lighting so that, coming home after dark, we had to stumble around the bed searching for the one working lamp. When we mentioned that 4 of the 6 lightbulbs over the bathroom sink were burned out, they were promptly replaced, the only good and attentive part of our stay. When one sat on the toilet, one’s knees hit the door. When we tried to rinse after toothbrushing, leaning over the sink meant that the person’s bottom hit the wall. The bathroom is hardly 3 ft wide. There was no shampoo/conditioner, lotion, pencil/notepad but copious bars of soap. My husband was not able to even bend over in the shower to wash his feet.
We are native San Antonians proud of the beautiful river and its many lovely old homes. This may have been one of them before it was bastardized historically and architecturally by additions to encompass more paying guests. How very sad.
Do not believe the pictures on the web. They are chosen to display uncharacteristic facets of the house

Room Tip: Find another Bed and Breakfast or try Embassy Suites
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Gail D

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
Enders, NE
Reviewed 9 January 2014

We had two criteria for lodging when we were planning our San Antonio vacation: Good price and free parking. We were a bit appalled at the parking prices for the downtown Riverwalk hotels. I guess we don't get out that much.

We enjoyed our stay here very much. It's just a short walk from the main Riverwalk area, and just a short walk from the King William historic district. The location is right on the river at the end of a short street. No car traffic going by. We enjoy walking and could reach most things we wanted to do by foot.

Our main suggestion would be to at least have a cold breakfast available for those of us who like to get out and do the sights. We left early to take a Hill Country drive and had to miss breakfast. The last morning we had to leave early to catch our flight. 8:30 is just too late. Rolls and cereal out when the cook is there fixing the hot breakfast would be great. We were able to eat two breakfasts out of the four days we were there. The food was fantastic, though, and the coffee good. Coffee was available all the time.

The rooms, staircases and floors are all creaky but have lots of character. Bathrooms are small. But, I'm sure that by and by they will have everything updated that needs it.

We would stay here again. This was our first trip to San Antonio and we loved every minute of our stay. Unfortunately, our stay was right during the recent Polar Vortex deep freeze and we wore winter coats the whole time. Oh, well.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 6 January 2014

We just stayed here with a deal from groupon. I don't think I would pay the regular price but with the groupon price it was a good deal. My husband and I have been married for over 10 years and have almost never been away from the kids so this was a real treat for us. The inn was cute and charming and I loved the lavendar/purple color scheme in our room and the balcony was great. We had breakfast in bed which was delicious and a treat. The staff at the front desk and the cleaning staff were super nice and friendly. Additionally it was on the riverwalk but towards the end so away from noise, etc. which was nice. It was about a 15 minute walk to the restaurant on the Riverwalk that we wanted to go to which was a lovely walk. It is also about a 15 mintue walk to the market square so we didn't have to drive at all while we were there. Hippo's deli and market is right around the corner too if you need to stock up on anything. I have several recommendations and one concern. My recommendations are that I would replace the old dirty looking wicker tables in the room, put in a couple of small shelves in the bathroom since there is little sink space, install a fan in the bathroom, put newer better quality pillows in the rooms (the ones we had were flat), and fix the hot water in the sink (the bath/shower had hot water but not the sink). My only issue is that we requested a spa room so that we could use the jacuzzi tub and if you looked closely the jets did not look clean so I was concerned if it was sanitary or not.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Kimberley Z
Grand Prairie, Texas
Reviewed 30 December 2013

This was my fourth stay at this property. I always feel so welcome, like I'm staying at my grandmother's home. The location is perfect...quiet and relaxing. The breakfast is a meal, not just a pastries! I will be back!

Room Tip: I've stayed in 11, 13, and 15. 11 and 13 are perfect for families and 13 is perfect for just th...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 22 December 2013

Pros: position (on the river, a couple minutes of walking from downtown, in a quiet area), atmosphere (it's a nice old house, very charateristic), clean.
Cons: it's very old, the rooms needs to be renovated. There were cracks on the walls and ceiling and they both need to be painted, the bathroom is so small that you barely can go inside it, even the bed linen was so old that had "bobbles", the small fridge in the bedroom has been very noisy all night long.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Worcester, Massachusetts
Reviewed 4 November 2013

This is basically an old house that is now being used as an inn. If you like a place with 'character' this is the place for you. The rooms are small but clean. We arrived late so we picked up the keys from the porch as planned. Everything went smoothly during our stay. B'fast was good and included in the price. The walk to the main part of the river walk is pleasant. Will go again if I find the time!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank dcachia
Arlington, Texas
Reviewed 19 October 2013

We were there on a weekend, Friday and Saturday nights. I had informed her that I am a smoker, so she gave us a 2nd-floor room called a cottage with a balcony where I could smoke. I had to use a coke can as an ashtray; be aware that even though guests have permission to smoke outside, they must provide their own ashtrays.
The view is very pleasant; large trees provide shade while you enjoy the peacefulness of birds in the trees and otherwise, silence. There is an empty green space between this Inn and another B&B, which looks like (to me) a large French farmhouse. You enjoy all the green around you, watch the occasional people on the Riverwalk, bask in the feeling of being in the country.
You are about a half mile from the beginning of the commercial part of the Riverwalk, then about another half mile to the restaurants. If you are used to walking, it is no big deal. If you are NOT used to walking, you can catch a ride with one of the bicycle-drawn rickshas or a horse-drawn carriage for the return to the Inn.
The décor of our room was charming and very well done. You almost feel as if you are stepping into a home décor magazine: The very comfortable king-size bed is lovely, with luxurious bedclothes- sumptuous cover and matching pillows, etc. Excellent! It is under a gabled/sloped ceiling that could feel claustrophobic if it were not so well decorated: the effect is that of being in a gazebo in a garden. There is an antique writing table with wifi-access for your laptop, but you need to move the chair to it from a few feet away. The dresser in the corner facing the bed and chair has the tv on it. There are baker's racks with knick-knacks...the overall effect of the room is quite charming; in practice it is not quite user-friendly, in a variety of ways.
There is a daybed for a third person. I used it for my suitcase. My companion used the dresser and stowed the empty suitcase under the bed, with the dog-carrier and bed.
The room is spacious, but there is no table, counter or vanity anywhere near the sink, which shares a nook with the armoire, for placement of make-up or other items needed for preparation for the day. Take one item to the mirror, return it to wherever you are keeping it, bring another item to the mirror, etc. There is no such thing as having everything at hand for easy access. I keep all my things in a make-up case, but there no place (except the floor) to put it while getting ready to leave. There is a small and decorative shelf, under the mirror over the sink, but it is, as I said, small, and if you have too many things on it, it can block your reflection if you are as short as I am. Anyone over about 5'3 would probably be fine, but I am only 4'10'.
There is, as I mentioned, a small armoire instead of a closet, which looks lovely but is inconvenient to use. The clothes hang front to back, instead of side to side. There are small shelves on the inner walls, which will hold a pair of shoes or something that size.
She does supply a hair dryer, found in the armoire, and two kinds of shampoo, found in the shower, which has great water pressure. You do need to be certain the shower curtain is totally inside the enclosure or you will end up with a wet floor.
There is a coffee maker and small fridge, but the coffee packs were not replenished on Saturday, so we had none on Sunday.
Also, be aware, if one of you wants to sleep in, your companion will NOT be allowed to bring any breakfast items (not even a muffin) back to the room for you. He thought he was being nice when he let me sleep instead of waking me for breakfast on Saturday morning. I was brought a banana, all that he was allowed to take with him. Breakfast is advertised as being served from 8:30-9:30, but it was shut down at 9:20 on Sunday morning. So we had neither breakfast nor coffee on Sunday and I had breakfast NEITHER morning. (this IS billed as a "bed and breakfast" Inn, so it did not exactly live up to its name)
My friend also spent about 45 minutes on Saturday programming the remote for the television, which has a perfect picture and a good selection of channels.
All in all, I will probably return here, making certain that I have coffee for the pot, an ashtray, cinnamon rolls and kolaches from one of the bakeries in West with me!
The place is pet-friendly, charging a minimal "deposit" for each animal. I do warn you, in case you think a deposit is refundable: it is not. Basically, it amounts to an extra charge for bringing your pet. But the charge is less than a boarding fee, and your baby gets to be with you instead of with strangers. My Chihuahua LOVED his walks by the river and would probably be walking still, if I let him.
If this sounds like a mixed review, you are reading it correctly. The room and the setting are delightful. The bed was comfortable, I could have my dog with me and I could smoke. These are all plusses! On the negative side, the customer care was lacking (no coffee replenishment in the room, no sleeping in and having a muffin in the room, and closing the dining room early) and the room is arranged inconveniently. Nothing you can't live with, just inconvenient. It was about the same as a hotel, but with a much better setting....but there would have been a counter with the sink.

Room Tip: If you are a smoker, be certain to say so when making your reservation. I highly recommend Cottage...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends