I'm usually a big fan of the Hyatt chain. This one, not so much.
Yes, it's a fine hotel .... impressive lobby, modern architecture, new furnishings throughout the building, a reasonably fresh feel everywhere. Housekeeping does an excellent job. The rest of the staff is fine, though unexceptional. There is nothing BAD about it.
But flying the flag of "Grand Hyatt" should carry much more than this place delivers on. I've been more impressed by lower-price-point Hyatt Places in the past; simply put, there's just no "Grand" in the service or the facilities.
Rooms are small and blah. I can't tell you the square footage, and maybe it's just a function of the furnishing they've purchased ... but a standard room seems cramped. At a Grand, I'm looking for a little something extra ... here, it's a little something less.
Most of the concern here is about the price and brand; this place positions itself as being the upper side of the 4-star level. This would be a marvelous Radisson, and is a shade nicer than a standard Sheraton - but but where are little extras and nice surprises that you expect from Grand Hyatt? Nowhere to be seen on floor 18, that's for sure.
By comparison, I stayed at the Hyatt Regency in this city previously and loved it. Attentive staff everywhere, fabulous rooftop hot tub and deck, brilliant connection from the riverwalk to the hotel. The Regency's pool is way too small, but the theme and mood of the deck area is awesome.
Meanwhile, the Grand Hyatt comes off as just a vertical slab -- it's a convention hotel, and man does it feel like one. No personality, no lagniappe, no flourishes that make you say "THIS is what I'm paying these rates for. Cool."
The gym is well equipped, modern and ultra clean. The pool area, though, is a major letdown. It seems as if the designers and owners agreed on a "what's the least possible we can do" approach, and built that. The hotel management has done nothing to improve on the original plan.
The pool itself is smallish and uninspired; set in the middle of a hot, charmless concrete plaza on floor 5. No hot tub - that's just inexcusable in a hotel of this size and brand. No steam room. A clean but spartan changing area. There are literally acres of adjoining rooftop space, yet the Grand's pool deck is a small area (for a hotel with this many rooms) and deck chairs are hard to find on any nice day. Inexcusable.
Again, not a BAD hotel. But given a choice between the Marriott, the Hyatt Regency and here, I wouldn't hesitate a moment to choose either of the others.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- With a dramatic design that exemplifies this unique city, the Grand Hyatt is an exciting blend of modernism and the Latin culture. Located on the Riverwalk, its warm hospitality and bold colors create a San Antonio Luxury hotel that is perfect for every guest, whether traveling for business or vacation. This urban retreat has a premier location, adjacent to the convention center and HemisFair Park. Our outstanding amenities and unprecedented services will make your experience extraordinary. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Hyatt Hotels Corporation, Travel Republic (UK), Expedia, TripOnline SA, Ebookers, Evoline ltd, 5viajes2012 S.L., HotelQuickly, Cancelon and getaroom.com so you can book your Grand Hyatt San Antonio reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Grand Hyatt San Antonio Hotel San Antonio
- San Antonio Grand Hyatt
- Hyatt San Antonio
- San Antonio Hyatt
- Grand Hyatt San Antonio Texas