“Excellent Location for a Convention”

Grand Hyatt San Antonio
Ranked #22 of 358 Hotels in San Antonio
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 31 October 2013

Check-in was smooth and quick. The elevators are easy to find and easy to use. This hotel is only five years old, yet it has a retro 60's feel and appearance in my opinion. The room was of standard size and perfectly clean. The beds are extremely comfortable. We had plenty of hot water, though it felt like the water softener was was not set correctly. The AC barely kept up and could not be set cooler. This location is perfect for accessing the convention center and River Walk. My wife really liked the Perks coffee shop. Overall, we were pleased and enjoyed our stay.

Room Tip: Upper floors have dedicated elevators. Not a problem getting an elevator even after a conference.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
Stephanie C, Manager at Grand Hyatt San Antonio, responded to this reviewResponded 1 November 2013

Thank you for your feedback. We are happy to hear you enjoyed our hotel's comfort and our Perks Coffe Shop. We appreciate your comments and suggestions and look forward to seeing you soon!

Write a ReviewReviews (3,631)

Reviewed 29 October 2013 via mobile

Stayed here last weekend w/ my Hubs, his parents, & Grandmother. Staff was very friendly and we enjoyed Bar Rojo being on-site. Valet was quick each time we needed the car. We did not care for the beds or pillows (too hard & too small), but that is just our preference. As others have stated, the hotel is HUGE! Our room was 3 hallways from the elevator, literally a 4-5 minute walk. There were 2 large conference/ meeting rooms between the elevators & our room. Really strange design, IMHO. The rooms were very clean, so we were pleased with that. Wi-Fi never worked in our room, although we had the login info.

There were many large groups staying here, which should be expected at a hotel that is connected to a convention center. We had heard good things from some friends who had stayed here in the past, so that is why we gave them a shot. Overall, for a large group, a great place. For couples or smaller groups, I'd look elsewhere. We probably will not return unless with a larger group. Nothing against the hotel, but if you're coming to SA to relax & soak up the SA vibe, this is not a place that I would recommend...

They do take dogs, but beware- it will be difficult to get them outside & to the grass across the street to do their "business"... But their pet fees & policy are fair, if that is something that you are concerned with... As I said in my Title- Not the Best, but certainly Not the Worst!

Stayed: October 2013
Stephanie C, Manager at Grand Hyatt San Antonio, responded to this reviewResponded 30 October 2013

We enjoyed reading your feedback and are happy to hear you, your family and your dog enjoyed your stay with us! We look forward to your next trip to San Antonio.

Reviewed 29 October 2013 via mobile

This wonderful hotel is impeccable. Upon arrival, my reservation changed. What I requested through their online was to have a King Club room on the 23rd floor. They had sold out those rooms which put me somewhere else. I was totally disappointed and quite upset. I asked how does that happen. Front clerk, Gabriella was a gem. She was able to give us the 22nd floor and still have access to the amenities of the Club floor. Which includes free foods both evening and the next morning. Gabriella was so kind to give us a $50 credit towards our stay. The room, the club floor, the cocktail bar, and the service was top notch. I could not believe the work out facilities. Unbelievable. We will definitely return when we are in San Antonio again.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for this kind review. We are happy to hear you enjoyed our property and the great service provided during your trip to San Antonio. We appreciate your feedback and look forward to seeing you again soon!

Reviewed 28 October 2013

I was fortunate enough to be able to stay at this beautiful hotel when another downtown hotel had overbooked and walked me to this location. Attending a conference at the convention center made this hotel an ideal location. Each day I was only minutes from where I needed to be which allowed me a few extra minutes of sleep in their comfortable beds. Front desk agent (last name Garcia) that checked me in couldn't have been more polite. He was very easy to talk to and provided me with information on the hotel while processing my check in. My housekeeper was thoughtful enough to realize I was almost out of toothpaste and she left me a brand new tube on the bathroom counter. Talk about anticipating a guest's needs. The hotel is also in a great spot along the Riverwalk!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us. We are glad to hear you enjoyed our location and friendly staff. We look forward to seeing again soon!

Reviewed 27 October 2013

Great beds! Loved the bar! You have different options for dinner, from the cafe to the steak house. Right next to the river walk in a nice location, a little bit far from the action, but very close to the mall and not noisy at nights like if it was closer to the clubs and restaurants.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends

Thank you for your feedback. We are glad to hear you enjoyed the location of our property. We hope to see you again in the future.

Reviewed 27 October 2013

Stayed at this location for a conference - 3 nights. Rate was excellent (106.00 for a king room.) Opted for valet parking just because self parking was so hard to find...signage could be much better. The valet was very friendly however, and offered to take my bags to the concierge since I arrived too early for check-in.
Check-in at 2 went quickly, desk staff was super friendly and the room was exactly what I requested.
King room on the 21st floor had a great view. Room was clean, furnishings are modern and seem new.

I am impressed beyond belief with the food service staff - if I could give them 5 stars on their service alone, I would do so. During a plated luncheon yesterday, I asked the floor manager if they had an alternate dessert, since if have celiac disease, and I couldn't have the cake that was being served. Within 10 minutes he brought me a bowl (really too large, but that's not his fault) of fresh fruit, beautifully presented. This morning, I ordered a room service breakfast, and I noted the gluten allergy on the card - the chef CALLED from the kitchen to apologize that he didn't have gluten free oatmeal, and to offer alternatives. Sent up a tray with several offerings. Then, when I walked into my morning meeting, they were serving breakfast, and the food manager (from yesterday) immediately walked over and asked if I would like a gluten free pastry brought out (of course, I'd already eaten, so it wasn't necessary, but I couldn't believe he remembered!)

All of my dealings with the valet were pleasant, but on one trip out I discovered my passenger mirror had been folded in, and they neglected to fold it put before returning the car to me. Bad enough in the parking garage down the street, if I'd been on the freeway it could have been quite dangerous.

In the end, I gave this location 5 stars - service was excellent for the duration of my stay, and I would happily stay here again, and recommend the hotel to anyone.

Room Tip: High floors have good views -- ask for "river" side, or toward downtown
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business

We enjoyed reading your feedback and are happy to hear our banquet staff went above and beyond for you and that you enjoyed your stay with us! We look forward to your next trip to San Antonio.

Reviewed 27 October 2013 via mobile

I believe the staff and management must be complacent in providing their best because of the draw of the convention center. $35 per day valet parking - I should have had my car door opened for me and my bags unloaded. No microwaves, mediocre rooms and free wi-fi EXCEPT in your room. So I'm paying for my room, but must sit in the lobby of an upscale hotel for wi-fi. Like I said complacent due to the volume the convention center brings. I would not choose this hotel for a vacation.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business

Thank you for taking the opportunity to review your recent stay with us. We apologize for your less than pleasurable experience. We would love to have another opportunity in the future to provide you with the standard of service both you and we expect.