“It wasn't terrible.....”

Grand Hyatt San Antonio
Ranked #19 of 358 Hotels in San Antonio
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 10 December 2008

As many reviewers have noted this is a standard convention hotel that charges too much for the room and way too much for everything else ($12.95 a day for internet service--warning: wireless service is quite spotty and they cannot or will not do anything about this...including deduct the fee from your bill!). The rooms are fine and the beds are comfortable.

Was guaranteed a king-size bed, but when I got there it was not to be had. A nice girl at the desk took care of this and had me moved to the room I requested on my second day.

I guess it is still new and things are certainly glitchy. The showers have zero pressure, water so soft that you will feel soapy the entire time, and...this was my favorite....the water gets warm...never hot! There is a sign that says you may need to run the water for some time to get the right temperature, but if it gets anything warmer than warm it must take longer than ten minutes! (By the way, they place this sign next to another sign that says they won't clean towels unless you ask them to because they want to save water!)

The bar is fine with overpriced, but good drinks--the decor a modernism that reminds me of the UN Headquarters or mid-century Soviet. The gym is large and new, the lap pool looks great, but there is no sauna or hot tub.

I don't know--it is fine, not great...certainly not grand. Maybe in a year or so the place will be running smoother and the details will be worked out, but until then you might want to look elsewhere.

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled on business
2  Thank HolaGatitos

Reviewed 27 November 2008

San Antonio's Grand Hyatt meets the criteria of a standard or typical convention hotel, it's relatively expensive, the guest pays for virtually all the amenities, and the facilities are certainly adequate for the convention participant.

During our four day, three night stay we experienced comfortable lodging. The staff of the hotel with whom we dealt were competent and friendly. On the other hand, my continuing disappointment with hotels like the San Antonio Grand Hyatt is the necessity to pay for internet connection. My specific disappointment with the San Antonio Grand Hyatt was an absence of towel racks in the bathroom. That may seem a minor disappointment until one is trying to reach for a towel from the shower.

We did appreciate a wealth of electrical outlets in the room, and we also appreciated the Grand Hyatt's nearness to San Antonio's convention center and famous River Walk. The restaurants along the river were interesting, and they represent a variety of menus, although the heavy emphasis is, as might be expected, Mexican or Tex-Mex.

For what the Grand Hyatt is--a convention hotel--it meets well its purpose. However, if I were visiting San Antonio for personal reasons, I'd probably select one of the nearby hotels that offer a less expensive experience, for example, an experience that might include complimentary breakfast and wireless internet. That's not meant to be a criticism of the Grand Hyatt, it's a mere statement of opinion about value. I suppose a convention hotel is geared more to economics of business travel and expense accounts, But, in these increasingly difficult economic times, justifying the differences in costs, even if the differences are picked up by one's employer, is difficult.

1  Thank K R
Reviewed 24 November 2008

I stayed at this hotel for the National Council of Teachers of English fall convention (I received a discounted rate of $180/night).

The hotel has a very modern minimalist decor that is clean and inviting. My room had two double beds, and it was fairly spacious, in terms of the typical city center hotel. Concierge service was friendly and inviting, and when I needed help I was offered assistance.

I truly enjoyed the hotel's restaurant ACHIOTE for lunch. A fajita bar is offered for $15, and along with freshly made tortilla chips (accompanied by guacamole and a variety of salsas), guests can choose from chicken/beef fajitas, salads, beans, rice, etc. Fresh fruit cups containing watermelon, cantaloupe, pineapple and honeydew are offered, along with a nice selection of rich desserts.

In terms of my room (I stayed four nights), I was not overwhelmingly impressed. When I first checked in, I noticed that my television would not turn on. I called for assistance, and I was told that "engineering" would come to my room to repair it. I was told that this is a "regular" problem, since housekeeping apparently bumps into the wires in the flatscreens. After waiting for 35 minutes, the tech arrived--only to push a cord into the back of the TV. I was dumbfounded as to why the hotel would not check guest rooms for this before guest arrivals, or why concierge would not just walk guests through the process of checking the cord. Ultimately, I was inconvenienced because I had to stay up until midnight waiting for a cord to be pushed into a television.

While preparing to take a shower, I didn't know what to think when I went to turn on the water and found the control knob in my hand (and off of the mounted fixture). Housekeeping did nothing to repair this loose handle during the four days that I was there.

In terms of housekeeping, the service is thorough, but it can run very late. On average, I had to wait until 4:40-5:00 p.m. for my room to be serviced (I didn’t request special service to have it cleaned earlier).

If you are a traveler who likes a quiet setting, you might also ask for a room that doesn't overlook the River Walk area. Apparently, a band was playing one evening, and the walls were rattling with rumbling base. When I called the concierge, I was told that other guests had also been complaining. During another evening, two guests checked into the room next door, and I could overhear their entire conversation. It seems as if the walls are not that insulated!

The location of this hotel is quite convenient for convention goers or travelers who want to explore the River Walk. Though my experience was satisfactory overall, I would more than likely select a different hotel during my next visit to San Antonio. For the price, the atmosphere is not overwhelmingly luxurious; even my bed was not as comfortable as beds I’ve had at other brand name hotels.

Other travel tips: Make sure to take the trolley (for $1 each way) to the Mexican market (Mercado) where you will find Mi Tierra café and bakery. I had a terrific lunch there, and the atmosphere is festive and fun! If you are approached by the singers, be prepared—if they sing you a song, they will ask for $6 when they are finished. If you do not want to be serenaded, the singers will politely move along. I had a GREAT meal here and the menu is fairly priced. Don't miss it!

2  Thank ColleenCanfield
Reviewed 23 November 2008

Very Kool Hotel. Awesome lap pool and excersize room. My room was on 14th floor and had a really nice view of the city. The front desk clerk diamantina was very sweet and even sent up some chips n salsa during the stay (a nice suprise). The maids offered turn down service nightly and overall it was a great experiance. A little pricey for a room but I quess supply and demand dictate the rates. (we found a great AAA weekend rate on the Hyatt website that included breakfast.) The riverwalk is right outside the doors, a really nice mall is just a short walk across the street. An easy 10 min drive from the airport. Thanks Hyatt for a great weekend in San Antonio!!

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 November 2008

I tagged along with my boyfriend on his business trip, so didn't have much say in our accommodations.
The rooms at the Adequate Hyatt are nice upon first glance--soothing neutrals, panoramic windows, chaise lounge, comfy bed and duvet, and a large flat screen television. When we got to the room, I searched high and low for the minibar. Where the heck was it? Answer: there was none.
On to the bath, which left much to be desired. Smallish, with one sink (sloppily grouted), standard shower/tub combination, and no fan. Sorely lacking in terms of amenities... no cotton,
q-tips, sewing kit or shower cap. These things are simply unacceptable in a hotel which confers 'Grand' upon its name. I was also put off by no turn down service or daily newspaper.
I will say that the fitness center was terrific--bright, airy, wich sparkling wooden floors. Two rooms--one filled with new weightlifting machines and free weights, the other with chilled towels, headsets, and state of the art aerobic machines boasting built- in televisions. The outdoor, heated salt water lap pool was a wonderful refresher. But alas, here again, there were issues that took away a bit of the luster. No steam room or showers to finish off a nice workout. The water cooler was not filtered, but rather filled with poor-tasting tap. The roof top lap pool was surrounded by lounge chairs, but lacked umbrellas to shield you from the sun. No poolside service; instead, to order drinks or lunch, you had to walk into the elevator vestibule and use a courtesy phone with a menu propped up against it! Most disappointing of all, there was no spa.
The hotel occupies a slightly remote position on one end the riverwalk, but it is nonetheless convenient to the conference center, which is why we were there, after all. If you are visiting San Antonio on business, I suppose the Grand Hyatt would be, er, adequate. However, we dined at Las Canarias in the Omni La Mansion, a gorgeous, romantic, Spanish colonial hotel in the center of the riverwalk, and had drinks at the chic, lovely Watermark across the way. If I ever return to San Antonio, I'd stay at one of those hotels. For that matter, so should you.

2  Thank MaisieNewYork
Reviewed 4 November 2008

Spent 5 days at the new Grand Hyatt in San Antonio, TX. Elegant modern hotel with cleanly designed rooms.

Excellent service, good strong coffee available from room service delivered by great staff.

No complaints about my room or the service while here.

This hotel is physically connected to the Convention Center although you do have to go outside of the Grand Hyatt and into the CC. This makes the Grand Hyatt a very convenient hotel for meeting attendees.

Reviewed 11 October 2008

Stayed here for a conference - room was on the 14th floor - nice and quiet with everything you would expect from a brand new Grand Hyatt. Staff were all very helpful. Would certainy stay here again. It's about a 5 minute walk along the riverwalk to the main stretch of restaurants.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled on business