“Great place to stay by the Riverwalk with nice rooms!”

Grand Hyatt San Antonio
Ranked #20 of 354 Hotels in San Antonio
GreenLeadersSilver level
Austin, Texas
“Great place to stay by the Riverwalk with nice rooms!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2009

I was pleased with this hotel. My boyfriend and I are from Austin, we day trip frequently and this is a great place to stay. It's a small walk from the strip of restaurants on the River Walk, and there are restaurants within the hotel. When we arrived, check out was fast and we used overnight valet to simplify things. (We stayed during Fiesta and did not want to drive!) Once checked in, we arrived at our room on the 11th floor. The view was of the city, very nice room. Bed was pretty comfortable, there is a lounge chair to enjoy, nice TV (flat screen). We regret not bringing our DVD player! The actual room was clean, bathroom was clean, amenities were overall nice. We did not use room service, but the bell boys and valet were quick and very nice. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank NicolesDayDreamin

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (480)
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Austin, TX
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 April 2009

Beautiful hotel in San Antonio, quite possibly the best in the city.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank Sritter
Des Moines, Iowa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 March 2009

I wasn't sure what to expect from this hotel based on the reviews, but chose it because we got a great deal. This hotel was absolutely great. It's close to everything but on a quiet part of the Riverwalk, so you get the best of both worlds. We were visiting during Spring Break, so it was nice to be in a "quiet" area of the Riverwalk. One thing I noticed immediately was the artwork. The lobby is just beautiful and they have added some very unique touches with the art and tiles they have used. We actually asked someone about the artwork and learned that they hired local artists for the job. Finally - the restaurant is great (so is the bar). We were starving when we arrived and lucky for us, they were having a fajita buffet when we arrived. The price was reasonable and the food (and margaritas) were excellent.
The workout facility is beautiful - this was the first time I left my running shoes at home and I was bummed that I did. I only wish there were more chairs around the pool and that the pool was warmer during cold weather. It was only about 45 degrees when we were there, which was way too cold to swim. I wished they had a hot tub, because there is an excellent view of the Tower of the Americas from the pool area - but there's no reason to go out there if it's chilly. On the last day it was really warm, but the pool area was pretty crowded. I easily found a seat but wished it were a slightly bigger area. Still - the pool is beautiful, as is the whole hotel. OH- and the rooms are great, and the staff was very friendly. I realize this is a long review, but I didn't realize I would like this hotel so much based on the reviews and feel it should have some better reviews.

Fort Worth, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 March 2009

Stayed at the Grand Hyatt San Antonio in March '09 and had no problems. The small size of the rooms was somewhat a disappointment, but nothing to spoil the trip. Noise inside the hotel was never an issue and staff was friendly. Dining and food area were good, but the walk is not too far to better Riverwalk dining locations. We will most likely stay at the Hyatt Regency Riverwalk next time due to the fact it has a much better location to the Riverwalk attractions. Grand is somewhat at the end of the Riverwalk and away from everything.

Houston
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 March 2009

We stayed at the Grand Hyatt this past weekend. Overall our stay was just fine--the hotel is new and very large, as it appears to cater to the conventions happening right next door to the hotel. The rooms are a little on the small side, but have nice modern furnishings including a comfortable bed with nice down pillows. The staff was also helpful. The one drawback was that the walls in the rooms were very thin, as we could clearly hear our neighbors who had two small children. Additionally, the room doors are very heavy and can be heard slamming throughout the night. I'm not sure why they don't install something to slow the speed of the heavy door down. Bring ear plugs if you want a quiet night's rest. Also be prepared to pay $23 to self park your car.

Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple
houston
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 March 2009

Where to start?... first they closed their restaurant an hour early, citing staffing problems. Then they took an hour and half to do the room service thing, again, saying they were short staffed. Coffee in the morning took a half hour of standing in line, again, short staffed. Then, the next night, we got to the restaurant an hour and a half before it was supposed to close, the waitress told us we should get the buffet, as she was running behind, since they were short staffed. The "buffet", consisted of fajitas, rice and beans. Sorry, out of everything else they said. They were short staffed. Lastly, the idiot valets, took an hour and a half to get our car. It took me literally screaming at them to get them off their rears to get my car. Actually, I found it before they did. Which makes sense since they never looked for it. That's not a misprint. 90 minutes for my whole family to sit there while these morons lied repeatedly telling me they were "going to get it right now". Oddly, the valet station was not short staffed, they just have incompetent supervisors. Hey Hyatt, you stink and you're getting worse. My daughter would like to add...."No joke but the whataburger was better than this hotel and I would know I'm only 9 yrs. old." So there you go, that's our review.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank travelingtills
Raleigh
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 March 2009

I have stayed at many Hyatt Hotels and have always been impressed by the quality. This hotel was no different. Staff went out of their way to make sure we were happy. I had made a complaint one night about some noise outside our room and it was taken care of in no time. I would highly recommend this for all and especially those who love to workout, best gym so far in any hotel I stayed at. Very clean.....Great location on the riverwalk across the street from the Rivercenter Mall.