Fairfield Inn & Suites by Marriott San Antonio SeaWorld/Westover Hills
Ranked #117 of 356 Hotels in San Antonio
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Very Family Friendly”
Reviewed 28 May 2014

If you have lot's of kids you will feel at home here. Shuttle bus to Sea World was a nice plus and the driver was friendly and accommodating. Breakfast was plentiful, the pool was full of kids and there is an ice cream freezer which is very visible from the front desk. The king size room was a little small but it met our needs for the one night. ( No roll-away bed will fit in there). Dining and the mall is within a 3 mile drive. While there is no dining on site - Marriott Courtyard has a full service bar and dining room....which offers room service to the Fairfield Inn.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
aandr628, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites by Marriott San Antonio SeaWorld/Westover Hills, responded to this review, 21 June 2014
Thank you for choosing to stay with the Fairfield Inn & Suites Hotel. We are happy to hear you enjoyed your stay and we hope we can serve you again in the future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Burleson, Texas
Reviewed 21 May 2014

I chose this hotel through priceline for our recent trip to San Antonio. I got a good deal for the two nights and with the way priceline works when you use their express deals you get 'a room' for at least 2 people. On the receipt is says it is the buyer's responsibility to contact the hotel ahead of time to request non-smoking, double room, special requests, etc. Over a month ago, right after a made the reservation through priceline I called the hotel to see what type of room we were getting and to have them switch to a double room if needed. I was told that I would just have to pay the 'upgrade fee' of $99 dollars a night. WHAT?!?!??!!!! Most hotels have 1 price for their basic rooms. In other words, the basic room with 1 king is the same price as a basic room with 2 double (full) beds. Then if you want to upgrade from there then the king suite or double queen suite, jacuzzi suite, etc. are usually more per night. I have never had a hotel tell me that to change my basic 1 king room to a basic 2 bed room would be an EXTRA charge over what I had already paid to priceline. For example this summer I am taking a trip to Colorado where I'll spend 8 nights in 8 different hotels. All but one were booked through priceline. I called them all and asked about which room I was getting. Two of them already had me in a double room because that's what their hotel defaults to. The other hotels said, sure no problem I'll change that for you, and nothing was mentioned about having to pay extra. I wasn't about to pay extra there or here.
Fast forward to this past weekend. We arrived at the hotel around 10pm and when checking in I asked again if I could upgrade to a double room and I was told that there were none available. Thinking this might be the case I made sure to bring my camping cot and sleeping bag along with me on the trip. The wife and the 7 and 4 year old shared the king size bed while I slept for two nights on a cot. In a sleeping bag. In a hotel.
The room we figured out was a handicap accessible room. No one in my party is disabled, but if I had my choice I would have rather had standard room, double bed or not. The handicap accessible room meant that there were lots of tempting 'pull here for emergency' type levers and lanyards strewn around the walls. We told the kids, 'Don't pull these strings!', but it wouldn't have mattered anyway because on closer inspection, the strings weren't actually attached to the switches. It looked like they had been severed long ago and kinda tied back on to make it look like they were in compliance. I hope someone doesn't have a real emergency only to pull on the string and get a face full of emergency switch facia. The other thing about this type of room is that there was no bathtub, only a shower. The shower is a walk in type with a curtain that just brushes the floor and no lip ( I guess this is for wheelchair access). So since we had no tub, the kids didn't get bathed on the trip. Do your 4 year olds take showers? I did take a shower and the showerhead on a string left a bit to be desired. I didn't want to hold it one handed over my head and the only way it would mount and hold when attached to the wall meant that I had to crouch down and almost sit on the floor to stay underneath it.
The toilet seat was loose and would wiggle terribly when you sat down.
The remote for the TV wasn't very responsive I suppose because the batteries were low or maybe it just need to be replaced. The thing had been used so much the numbers except for the 5 had been rubbed off of the key pad. Reception wasn't great either, but with cartoons for the kids they really didn't care.
The decoration in the room was nice and everything was clean.
The breakfast was plentiful and the food was good. The waffles are in the shape of Texas! (this is something I check for, not the case in other states, they usually just have round) One of the ladies in the kitchen area kept getting on to people though because they weren't making the waffles right. If it's such a big deal then make the waffles yourself an and serve them up like you do the eggs, toast, bagels or anything else! Seating was hard to come by in the breakfast area though and you had to clean up after the people in front of you.
There's a gas station right next door with cheap sodas (including a 60oz) and beef jerky.
The real reason I chose this hotel over others is because they offered a free shuttle to Seaworld. This service was great and worked well. We just told the front desk ahead of time when we wanted to go and at that time the van was quick to take us over an drop us right at the entrance! No parking fees and no walking from the parking lot! Then we just called the driver when we were ready to come back and in 10 minutes he was there to carry us back to the hotel.
So overall an okay stay, maybe if we stay here again we'll be more lucky with the room, staff and upgrade fees. To sum up:
Pros: Tasty breakfast, clean well furnished rooms, free seaworld shuttle
Cons: Extra $ for simple room upgrades, handicap room didn't meet our needs, some repairs needed

Room Tip: 136 is handicap accessible whether you need it or not
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
aandr628, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites by Marriott San Antonio SeaWorld/Westover Hills, responded to this review, 24 May 2014
Thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback. I am sorry you were not able to get a double queen room for your stay. We were sold out during that weekend and we did not have any available. We charge an upgrade fee if we can accomodate the request of a different room type. When booking through a Third Party reservations, they have different policies than booking through Marriott directly. Before confirming your reservation through Priceline they list the policy of:

* All rooms will accommodate up to 2 adults. Requests for bed types (King, Queen, 2 Doubles, etc.) or other special needs (including preferences for smoking or non-smoking rooms) should be requested through your confirmed hotel and cannot be guaranteed. *

Our hotel confirms a king bed and any requests cannot be guaranteed if you request a different room type. Priceline gives you an option to select your room type if you choose the hotel yourself. When bidding on a hotel, you do not know which hotel you will get until you confirmed your reservation with a credit card.

We assure you that your complaint and feedback will give the opportunity to remedy any problem that may exist and help to improve our service further. Once again, please accept our sincere apologies and we look forward to serving you again in the future.
Houston, TX
Reviewed 2 May 2014

My family took a last minute weekend trip to S.A. Many of the initial hotel options we were looking at didn't have any vacancies so we ended up booking this one for the great value; and we were very pleased with it. The hotel overall was pretty standard, but the rooms were clean, quiet (even with a room near the elevator!) and we appreciated the complementary hot breakfast.

The only con was that most channels on the TV didn't come in very clearly, but we were so tired from our busy day that we didn't watch TV anyway.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Phoenix
Reviewed 27 April 2014

I try to be selective with giving 5 stars, but this hotel was a great value. The breakfast had quite a few selections and was self serve, i.e. immediately available without a 10-15 minute server wait. That was ideal for a quick morning schedule. The hotel was very clean and the room was surprisingly large for the rate, having a living nook off to the side from the bed with a sofa and chair facing the TV. The trim was contemporary, perhaps Scandinavian. The area looked like a nice neighborhood. I know there are hotels with bigger gyms or pools, but this was a great value and served the purpose of this trip well. Note the high restaurant rating below refers to the breakfast, as it doesn't have a full time restaurant.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Curious88
Abbeville, Louisiana
Reviewed 1 April 2014 via mobile

Very clean! Very accommodating employees! Good location near 1406 loop! Would stay here anytime. Good breakfast! Friendly place! Nice pool area. Plenty of parking. Wifi is excellent also.

Stayed March 2014
1 Thank tauntetootie
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 24 March 2014

My family of four stayed two nights in March 2014. The room was clean, and nicely decorated. It was the week of spring break, and though I reserved the room weeks in advance, they did not reserve a spot for our family on the SeaWorld shuttle. This shuttle can only be reserved AFTER you check into the hotel, even if you request they bill you in advance of your arrival, though they did not tell me this when I booked the trip. As we arrived late at night, they had given our spot away to others who arrived before us. They said they could put us on the second day's shuttle, but that day was our checkout day. Although we did go to the park the second day, we didn't feel we should leave our vehicle at the hotel after checkout. Parking at SeaWorld is $17 a day! So we had a fee because of an unstated hotel policy we were unaware of, which was a disappointment.
The room was clean, but the fold out couch was broken, and the staff said they could not fix it until the second day. The sheets on the fold out bed were marked with pen, scribbled on along one side, which gave me pause. A request for two extra pillows were denied. They told us they only had enough for each room, and the hotel was fully booked. This made me wonder if they usually grab pillows from a vacant room when requests are made.
That being said, I must commend the breakfast staff on their wonderful service and attitude. Kevin Espitia, Assistant General Manager, made us feel as if we were receiving every possible nicety. He circulated constantly, managing his staff and attending to an overcrowded room of customers with such efficiency that none were left wanting. He and his staff provided a complimentary breakfast that had the cleanliness, attention, and service of a four-star restaurant. I would consider returning to the hotel in a less crowded circumstance, if only to linger in the breakfast room and allow the staff to provide a enjoyable, lazy morning of comfort food and rest.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Raven2015
Kevin_E4026, Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites by Marriott San Antonio SeaWorld/Westover Hills, responded to this review, 25 March 2014
I am pleased you enjoyed the level service provided to you by our breakfast staff and myself. It is unfortunate that there was not enough space on the shuttle when you arrived, but our hotel has numerous reservations coming for either business or leisure. We have limited seating on the shuttle and have multiple guests wanting to use the shuttle to local business/ attractions. We do not pre-assign shuttle times based off of arriving reservations, pre-assigning could cause problems with personal schedules and guest not actually showing up at the hotel. For these reasons, we provide our shuttle based on open availability and on a first come first serve basis. We have had experiences where guests have called to reserve a shuttle times and not arrive for their scheduled time or arrive to check in to their room. This is especially so with late arriving reservations and the many circumstances that can occur when traveling. With that being stated, please call the hotel directly so I can discuss future options, the other situations that occurred during your stay and have an opportunity make it to right to you.

Kevin Espitia
Assitant General Manager
(210)682-6800 EXT 418
Reviewed 2 March 2014 via mobile

Family trip to San Antonio. Truly enjoyed our stay at Fairfield Inn. Clean hotel, friendly staff, and good breakfast. Would stay here again & would definitely recommend to friends & family. Short drive to Sea World, downtown, & great restaurants near by.

Stayed March 2014