“Don't judge a book by its cover”

Crowne Plaza San Antonio Airport
Ranked #223 of 355 Hotels in San Antonio
Jackson, Mississippi
“Don't judge a book by its cover”
Reviewed 11 May 2012

I was pleasantly surprised by this hotel. I am very hard on my ratings, so giving this a 5 star really means something. I will list the positives in bullet form:

1. Excellent customer service. They expedited any request I made and did it with a good attitude.
2. The room was very clean.
3. The AC worked perfectly and kept me cool. It's not a cheap AC, and has a wall control.
4. I got the queen with a kitchenette. Highly recommend, as you can make breakfast each morning and cook at night. The queen was very comfortable with quality sheets.
5. The bathroom was terrific. Very good water pressure, big shower head, granite countertop. Very nice.
6. The room was sound proof. Never heard a neighbor or anyone above me. Planes don't fly after 9 PM, so good there.
7. Excellent weight room. Dumbells, nice bench and shoulder, and pull downs. Several ellipticals. I ran outside behind the hotel for a couple of miles.
8. Three hotel computers with nice printers.
9. Foyer very relaxing with water fall. Can sit there and read.
10. Excellent location. Stayed here to go to Ft. Sam daily. Perfect. Nice Whole Foods store just down the interstate.
11. My maid cleaned my dishes every day.
12. Nice laundry facility.
13. Good quality elevators.

Negatives:

None.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
Mike B, Front Office Manager at Crowne Plaza San Antonio Airport, responded to this review, 16 May 2012
KTM1234,

I would like to thank you for taking the time and reviewing the Crowne Plaza San Antonio Airport. Also, thank you for the great comments! Please know that I will share your review not only with the management staff but the entire hotel staff. I think it’s most important to make sure that the hotel staff knows they took care of our guests. . If you travels bring you back to San Antonio please do not hesitate to contact me personally. Again, thank you for taking the time to let us know how we are doing and thank you for your business.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
Texas
Reviewed 16 April 2012

We stayed for the weekend and found this hotel on Priceline, so we didn't have much of a choice because we got such a bargain on it. The bed was comfortable enough, but not amazing. The room itself was nice and big and the bathrooms larger than some hotels. The lobby of the hotel was also nice. No problems checking in or out. We also liked that the hotel included a fridge and microwave. I'm not sure what these rooms normally go for, but for us, it was perfect!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
Kaiserslautern, Germany
Reviewed 7 April 2012

I was lucky to get a room at the back so it was very quiet. Room was fine, king bed, very confortable, lots of comfy pillows. There was a nice big TV, microwave, refirgerator, coffee maker which is always nice for a 2 week stay. The noise from the planes was not so bad since the flight patterns changed constantly - they did not keep me awake. Breakfast was nothing special but the lady who ran the breakfast area (Marilyn) definitely took care of the customers - she is the type of person every hotel needs to be successful. The barkeeper Mike was awesome and very efficient, he made the best Bloody Mary's from scratch and always had a pleasant word for every customer. The hotel runs a free shuttle service to and from the airport as well as to stores within a few mile radius. The drivers were great and took us to Walmart, Ross, North Star Mall, The Quarry Market etc.- this service in itself is a great reason to stay here. Sure some parts of the hotel are faded but overall I thought it was perfectly adequate.

Room Tip: Second floor 225-228 seemed to be the quietest and it's nice to be able to use the small elevato...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
Mike B, Front Office Manager at Crowne Plaza San Antonio Airport, responded to this review, 10 April 2012
ChristinaHD,

Thank you so much for your feedback regarding your most recent stay at the Crowne Plaza San Antonio Airport. We appreciate as much feedback as possible. The more feedback we receive the better we can train our associates to ensure they are providing the best service possible. We will also ensure that the employees you mentioned are recognized for their efforts. If your travels bring you back to San Antonio I hope that you will consider the Crowne Plaza San Antonio Airport. Again, thank you for feedback and your business. If you need anything at all please do not hesitate to contact me.

Lake Jackson, Texas
Reviewed 19 February 2012

We got there a little early and had to wait for our room to be ready which was okay because it was 2 and check in was 3. By the time 3 comes around we ask for our room and its still not ready. We drove for hours to get there so we were tired but we didnt let it get to us....at first. We waited in the lobby and by the time it was 3:30 we still didnt here any news on our room so we started to complain. I guess if your not a member or something they say your're not a "priority". We finally got into our room at 4:30, an hour and a half later to a room that was scorching hot and smelled like butt. In a nutshell EVERYONE WAS VERY RUDE AND UNHELPFUL, SERVICE WAS SLOW. DO NOT STAY HERE WE NEVER WILL AGAIN.

Room Tip: If you want a smoking room go to another hotel. Its outside of the main building and is practically...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Alia C
Mike B, Front Office Manager at Crowne Plaza San Antonio Airport, responded to this review, 21 February 2012
First, I would like to thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay with the Crowne Plaza San Antonio Airport. I apologize that our staff did not ensure that your stay was any less than perfect. I would love to speak with you if you have the time. Please be assured that your feedback will be shared with the entire management staff. I hope that if your travels bring you back to San Antonio that you allow the Crowne Plaza San Antonio a second chance. Thank you for your business and I look forward to hearing from you.

210-828-9031
Heidelberg
Reviewed 9 February 2012

Please note if you find my review(s) helpful, thanks!

This was probably the seventh hotel that I've tried out on my trips to San Antonio, and I'm going to put it on my list of favorites. There were minor issues, but I left with a good feeling even after spending almost two weeks there.

I had a Club Level room, which in this case was a prerequisite, because a free breakfast isn't offered with all rates and I wanted breakfast in the morning. Likewise, a manager's reception with snacks in the evening is only offered in the club lounge. It still surprises me that their are hotels that don't offer breakfast with all rates, but (if the managers are reading this) it is a decision factor on where to stay. Evening receptions are also a good draw.

All rooms offer a microwave, coffee maker and a refrigerator (with a small freezer space). All three included items, at no additional cost, were another decision factor on where to stay. Point to Crowne Plaza.

My bed was very comfortable, with lot of pillows and a comforter with duvet (no icky unwashed bed cover). Linens were changed every couple of days (unless a daily change is requested). Overall, very comfortable and restful nights. Housekeeping was pretty standard. No major issues, although they did miss replacing a washcloth every other day.

Two large flat screen TVs. One on the wall directly in front of the bed, at a good viewing distance. The other TV was in the living room area across from the couch. Premium video was offered (which I did not explore) as well as a basic selection of TV shows, almost half of which were news channels. Internet access was easy to setup, was stable, fast and free. Often free Internet comes at a cost, speed and stability. The service did go completely down one night, but was back up the next day. Free printing (via web page and code) is offered. Oddly, the printer in lounge was not accessible, so I had to print to the business office on the ground floor.

Noise levels overall were very quiet. If you are very sensitive to noise, I'd choose the side away from the highway just to be sure. There was the occasional airplane, which could be loud, but only for a few seconds at most. Traffic patterns changed daily so airplanes didn't fly overheard every day. Even on the days where traffic flew by, it ended no later than 11p.m.

Drinks in the Club Lounge were well stocked (water, soda, milk, juice) for anytime enjoyment, to include the weekends. Wine/beer was available on request, and only offered Mon-Thur. The evening snacks were not offered on Friday, Sat or Sunday nights, which I found annoying as not all business people fly out on Friday or arrive on Monday. However, during my last week it looked like hours were going to be expanded. Breakfast offered a few hot choices which varied during the week (bacon, pancakes, eggs, etc), weak coffee, cereal and fruit. Basic breakfast.

A laundry room is located next to the pool. It had the older style washer and dryers, and were priced at $1 per load. It was nice to have it priced at an even number. The room was clean, had a TV, chairs and a bathroom. It was also secured with your room key.

Pros:
Quiet
Two large flat screen TV's
Friendly Staff
Very Clean Laundry Room
Easy access to Ft. Sam, Airport and North Star Mall
Fast Elevators
Complimentary selection of toiletries, to include toothpaste
Balcony Door opens...fresh air!
View of Airport

Neutral:
Some road noise
Occasional Airplane traffic flyovers (no later than 11p.m.)
Nothing of note nearby, had to drive almost everywhere. Although a Luby's is next door.
No To-Go Coffee cups stocked in room
No selection of tea
Only Small packets of powdered creamer
Old, thin Windows...must leak energy year-round!

Cons:
Only the most basic of TV channels
Water Pressure
Club Breakfast not as good as it could be
Club Lounge not open Fri-Sunday
Complementary USA Today vs Wall Street Journal
Large open gap between door and threshold (potential privacy issue)
Non-lockable Balcony Door (hazard to young kids)

• Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
Thank you so much for your feedback regarding your stay with the Crowne Plaza San Antonio Airport. I am grateful that you enjoyed your stay with us. Your comments will be forwarded to the rest of the staff in the hotel. If you should need anything please do not hesitate to contact me. If your travels bring you back to San Antonio I hope that you choose to stay with the Crowne Plaza San Antonio Airport. Thank you for your buisness.

210-828-9031 ext 2153
Edgewood, New Mexico
Reviewed 2 February 2012

I will preface this review with the fact that I used to be a frequent guest in this hotel. I travel weekly for my job (Platinum Priority Club and IC Royal Ambassador), and use IHG properties almost exclusively. I used to stay in the hotel 5 or 6 times a year and did so for 3 years. I was always pleased with the customer service, enjoyed the club lounge, felt safe, and slept well.

In fact, up until this August 2011 this hotel used to be on my “favorites list.” Then something happened. I don’t know if the property changed management or what, but about that time I had started noticing difficulties. On several visits I had something go wrong – the room wasn’t ready, the keys didn’t work, the safety lock on the door was not working. But I kept going back because of my previous positive experiences, and because every property occasionally has a bad day. When you travel a lot you accept that even the best properties occasionally have a glitch.

I am also very well aware of the fact that Platinum Priority Club members are offered upgrades on space available basis. This hotel almost always had upgrades for loyal clientele. The few times I wasn’t upgraded, I was still given a room on a high floor in the main building and given access to the club lounge.

This last time though, (November 2011) as soon as I saw the room I was given I left the property and haven’t gone back. I think all the inconsistencies finally pushed me over the edge. I made my reservation for this hotel over a month out, but when I arrived I was told that the hotel was full. They did not have any rooms in the main building, but the young lady at the desk said they had “upgraded” me to a room in the back section. The room turned out to be right over the parking garage - smaller than any room I’ve had at any IHG property - low ceiling, dark, and stuffy. I was appalled that the desk clerk called it an “upgrade.” In my opinion, if that accommodation was an upgrade for a loyal guest, the hotel management needs to be retrained. When I went back to the desk to express my dissatisfaction, I was not even offered an apology... just a comment that I would not be charged for the room.

I left and went to another IHG property in San Antonio, which is where I now take my business dollars. It is also the IHG property I recommend to my colleagues. Since I have the privilege of booking all my own hotels for travel, I will choose to stay in properties that recognize loyalty. This hotel is not one of them.

Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
4 Thank AnotherNiteOnTheRoad
San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed 23 January 2012

First, I was staying for just one night upon my return to the states and didn't get in until 11:30 or so, so they really didn't have much of a chance to correct / improve. That being said......

As a platinum member I was "upgraded" to the club floor. This is all well and good but I had reserved and paid for an "oversized room". I am pretty sure that my upgrade was to a regular size room. The Ambassador "club" was a nice enough room with a refrigirator well stocked with drinks but, at 9:00 Saturday morning I would expect, at least, some coffee. I could have stayed at the Holiday Inn Express (5 minutes down the road) and had coffee and pastries in the morning, and the same size room for about $30 less a night.

The fan in the bathroom made so much noise that I thought it would wake the neighbors if I left it on.

Room Tip: It is next to the highway and the room facing the highway can hear the noise from the road so its be...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank LJRoadWarrior
Mike B, Front Office Manager at Crowne Plaza San Antonio Airport, responded to this review, 2 February 2012
I would like to first thank you for your feedback regarding you most recent stay with the Crowne Plaza San Antonio Airport. I would also like to apologize that you stay was less than perfect. We know when it comes to choosing a place to stay you have many options. I hope that if your travels bring you back to San Antonio you will give us a second chance to take care of you. Rest assured that your feedback will be shared with the entire team. Please contact me at the number below the next time you are in San Antonio. I will personally ensure that you are taken care of and treated the correct way. We value all of our guests, but especially our Platinum Priority Club Members. Please contact me if you should need anything. Once again, thank you for your business and feedback.

210-828-9031 ext. 2153