“The experience was surprising”

Crowne Plaza San Antonio Airport
Ranked #224 of 355 Hotels in San Antonio
Orlando, Florida
“The experience was surprising”
Reviewed 31 March 2014

We arrive at the hotel at around 3:20pm (check in time is 3:00pm) only to find out that my room was not ready. I am given the excuse, "it is spring break week and it has been really busy, we apologize for the inconvenience". I then over hear that another couple has been waiting for over 30 minutes for their room and they had to comp them a full breakfast for their wait. It is now 4:00pm and I am still waiting for my room. Finally, a little after 4:00pm they tell me the room is ready and try to comp me for a full breakfast. I go upstairs to my room 405 and the room was not ready. It looked like the hotel guests just left the room, sheets were on the floor, the covers were thrown across the bed. I am slightly irritated at this time and I go back down stairs to let the front desk know that the room is still not ready. I now have to wait longer to have the room prepared for me and my mother. We are given another room, not the room that we originally started with, but it is after 5 o'clock when we finally get into the room. Friday morning we wake up and my mother realizes that her pants are missing that she prepared the day before and placed on a hanger underneath her shirt that she was going to wear to the Military graduation. We pulled everything out of the closet, opened up bags again, bathroom and checked the beds, everywhere and nothing. I am not sure why someone would take one pair of pants, it does not make since. There were plenty of other things that you can take as well. I then call the front desk to report. She asked me was I sure that it did not go into the laundry with the sheets and covers. Seriously, it really made me feel like she was trying to say I was losing my mind. Why on earth would I being calling to say the pants were stolen. If I thought that the pants would have been mixed up with the laundry. I would have said something like this "My mom thinks that her pants may have been mixed in with the covers and sheets that were picked up with the laundry. If house-keeping comes across some pants can you please send them to room 208." So now I am extremely irritated and I am explaining my experience with "Crowne Plaza". She then proceeds to apologize and said that she will reimburse me for one night stay. I explained to her that I will take care of this when we return back to the hotel we had a graduation to get to. My mom and I pack up our stuff and take it to the car because now we do not feel safe in leaving our stuff in the room. It was very inconvenient and we should not have had to keep taking our stuff back to the car. We come back, they then try to say again that it was explained the pants may have been mixed in with the laundry and I am done explaining. She will have the housekeeping supervisor call me in the morning. I am still waiting on that call. Saturday morning I am having breakfast and I am waiting on my food. I then hear another couple speaking about their mother or mother in laws personal belongings are missing from her suitcase, it was a purse or wallet. I spoke with them about my experience and to just be careful and I hope that they are able to get the purse or wallet they were looking for at the time. They were thankful and I went to check out. I let the guest services manager know about my experience again and he stated and signed the paper letting me know that he would refund me for 2 night stay. He apologized for my time and let me know that I would receive my refund within 7 business days because I purchased through a 3rd party. It has been over 7 business days and I do not have my money back in my account as of today. I am really just getting tired of being nice about this and I will need all of my money back and then some. I did not feel like royalty at this hotel at all, nor did I feel safe or like I was being heard. I felt like I was being shut up by providing me with the comps for drinks and breakfast. To hear that there were others that were having some of the same experiences as I did. I will not be staying at this hotel again. I will make sure that no one I know does either. All I wanted was a great experience and I expected better from a hotel that is called "Crowne Plaza" I have never complained about any hotel other than best western, but that was word of mouth. This was by far the worst experience I had. I wish I was able to find another hotel. I would have left.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank TeeWilliams
CrownePlazaS-Antonio, General Manager at Crowne Plaza San Antonio Airport, responded to this review, 8 April 2014
It is extremely disheartening to read comments like yours. We sincerely regret any inconvenience you may have experienced while here. There are times when rooms may not be available immediately due to volume. We do the best to provide accommodations in a timely manner and we thank you for your feedback. Again, we regret any difficulties you experienced with retrieving the clothing in your room. Although we may credit your account in the appropriate time frame, there are times when the issuing financial institution may take longer than anticipated to process. Should you still be waiting for this refund, we suggest you contact your credit card company to determine their policy on refund processing. Again we regret we did not meet your expectations and will use this as a learning experience to improve upon our guest services. Thank you.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
Lafayette, Louisiana
Reviewed 27 March 2014

Located closed to the airport, the traffic is a little bit bad but the cost benefit to stay there worth.
The construction is old but the rooms are very cleaned.
Good place if you are planning share your time in between theme parks and riverwalk.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
CrownePlazaS-Antonio, General Manager at Crowne Plaza San Antonio Airport, responded to this review, 3 April 2014
We are thrilled that you found the location of the Crowne Plaza San Antonio Airport worked well for your stay. We are just a short drive from many area theme parks and attractions, making it easy for our guests to explore the area. Thank you for your great feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back the next time you are in San Antonio.
Chapel Hill, North Carolina
Reviewed 24 March 2014

Find someplace else to stay. This place was decent 25 years ago, and nothing has changed I would assume.

Poor housekeeping, elevator failed this morning at 5am when I tried to leave from 8th floor, terrible food and beer selection in bar, old everything.

The only thing nice I can say is EVERYONE who helped me there was very nice. Bar service stunk though, but he was at least nice about it.

Check out my room phone for cleanliness factor.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Todd M
It is disheartening to read comments like yours. This is not the experience we expect to deliver to any of our guests. Although our team was able to assist you during your stay, we regret we did not meet your expectations on every level. I will review your feedback with the housekeeping team as we continually refresh our commitment to our guests. It is our hope to welcome you back so we may restore your trust. Thank you.
Knoxville, Tennessee
Reviewed 22 March 2014

Crowne Plaza's are not usually my favorite place to stay. They are usually outdated and not that nice. This Crowne Plaza was no exception to my thinking. The hotel was a mad house on a busy highway and rather hard to get to. The hotel appears as a high rise, 10 floors or so but there is this very interesting old, exterior entrances to rooms section behind the high rise. Sort of makes those relegated to those rooms feel a little inferior. The room was fine, air conditioner cooled and heated the room properly, the bed was comfortable, the television worked, the internet was fine so all in all I guess this hotel was alright.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
CrownePlazaS-Antonio, General Manager at Crowne Plaza San Antonio Airport, responded to this review, 26 March 2014
It is great that you were able to enjoy your accommodations and I thank you for sharing your experiences. We do offer a range of room types for our guests and our website is the best resource when determining which accommodations best meet your needs. We regret we did not meet your expectations on every level and we hope to have the chance to welcome you back the next time you are in San Antonio.
Washington
Reviewed 7 March 2014

Here's the thing, this is not a hotel for tourists wanting to go to the river walk or the Alamo. I chose this hotel because the hotels at the river walk were all booked and I was in town for a conference (the conference hotel was overbooked and sending people elsewhere). The hotel was by the airport, just off the freeway, (though not noisy) and a good 15-20 min drive to the sites. However, the staff at the front desk were awesome, and my room was clean.
Also, since I got into town in the evening and didn't want to go out for dinner I ordered room service and it was really good for hotel room-service food. You know what I mean, actually hot and tasty.

This is not a hotel for "vacationing" and luxuriating, but a very good value for what it is.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank JJetson1
CrownePlazaS-Antonio, General Manager at Crowne Plaza San Antonio Airport, responded to this review, 12 March 2014
When choosing to stay with us, we are located next to the San Antonio airport and just a short drive to the Riverwalk and many area attractions. We offer our guests a wide range of amenities and we are happy to read you were able to enjoy room service while here. Whether you are visiting the Crowne Plaza San Antonio Airport hotel for business or pleasure, we offer a range of amenities including an outdoor heated pool, outdoor game area, on-site fitness center, business center and more. It would be our pleasure to welcome you back the next time you are in the area. Thank you.
Corpus Christi, Texas
Reviewed 14 February 2014

I just checked into this hotel about an hour ago and it's already been a bad experience. We first got into our room and the first two things we noticed was our bathroom door would not close properly at all. The second and most disgusting thing we noticed was huge and gross bloody boogers on the wall right by the headboard and bed. It's so noticeable I don't know how any maid could have missed it and not cleaned it. We complained to the hotel and they moved us into another room on the same floor. We go into our new room and immediately find out it is much smaller and a handicapped room. They didn't tell us this or ask us before moving us at all. We called again and complained and said they had no other rooms available so we asked to just be moved back to our original gross room. They didn't even offer to clean the walls or fix the issue at all. They did not once apologize and the lady was rude when we went back down to get the keys again. Management just stood there and did nothing to make us feel more comfortable or address the situation. Now we are currently stuck in a gross room with a bathroom door that doesn't even latch and stay closed. My wife is 7 months pregnant and I wanted this to be one last nice trip before our first child is born on this Valentine's day weekend. It has been a complete disappointment and we have only been here an hour so far. I would not stay in this hotel ever again and management and customer service was just terrible at making us feel welcome here.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Nicholas H
CrownePlazaS-Antonio, General Manager at Crowne Plaza San Antonio Airport, responded to this review, 27 February 2014
It is extremely disheartening to read comments like yours as this is not the experience we expect to deliver to any of our guests. I am reviewing your feedback with our team to ensure our commitment to our customers is our highest priority. I will have the maintenance and housekeeping teams look into your comments and address any concerns further. I appreciate you bringing these points to my attention. We sincerely regret that we did not meet your expectations during your stay and it is my hope to welcome you back so we may restore your confidence in us. Thank you.
Manitoba
Reviewed 30 November 2013 via mobile

Terrible experience. Arrived after a long day of travelling. The AC in the room was set at 66. The room was so cold and only warmed up to 69 by 7 am. Had a terrible sleep because I was so cold. Bathroom floor was dirty, had hair and someone's dry cleaning tag behind the toilet. Hair dryer worked for 5 seconds at a time before shutting off and having to reset. Fridge froze by drink solid. Upon checking out I told front desk what happened. Was informed the manager was out but would return in 5 minutes. I didn't have time to wait so I left my business card with my phone number, cell and email address. Never heard anything back!!
Terrible hotel and terrible customer service. Would NOT recommend.

Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Mike B, Front Office Manager at Crowne Plaza San Antonio Airport, responded to this review, 5 December 2013
Getaway_Seekers,

I first would like to apologize that no one has reached out to you. I would love to discuss this further with you at your earliest convenience. My contact information is below. Please know that I’ve shared your comments with the entire staff at the hotel and will use it as a training tool for the future. I look forward to hearing from you. Thank you again for your time and business.

Mike Benavides