“Comfortable at a fair price”

Embassy Suites by Hilton San Antonio - NW I-10
Ranked #194 of 358 Hotels in San Antonio
Texas
“Comfortable at a fair price”
Reviewed 12 September 2011

I stayed at this hotel many times in the 1990s but this is the first time in a long while (only because I haven't been back to this part of San Antonio lately). The hotel is pretty much as I remembered it. The staff is very friendly, and the suite was comfortable. I had read a few negative reviews here on Tripadvisor regarding old-fashioned TVs and a murky swimming pool, but I found everything to be fine. The living room and bedroom both had new widescrren HDTVs and the swimming pool and hot tub were clean. The pool had saltwater in it, which I like better than chlorine. The price was very reasonable and -- in relation to the price -- my rating is excellent and I will continue to come back. This is an older property, as Embassy Suites go, the decor and furniture are a little outdated. Had the price been higher, my rating would have dropped to average/very good. But, for the rate I paid, the overall experience (the suite, the staff, the amenities, the happy hour, the free breakfasts) was excellent.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank BusinessTraveler78

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (91)
texas
Reviewed 12 September 2011

Nice location - better price than riverwalk. Spacious rooms, great breakfast!
Only downside is slow elevators.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
Virginia
Reviewed 12 September 2011

Very nice hotel (as are all the Embassy Suites). Rooms are very nice and the staff is excellent. Hotel is convienent to most anything you could want in the San Antonio area. Will always stay here when in San Antonio.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
4 Thank Bianchikid
Cache, OK
Reviewed 10 September 2011

The room was VERY HOT. They do not use a regular a/c system, they use a chilled water system that pumps through the walls and blows lightly out of the vents. Their system could not combat the 100 degree plus temps. We stayed 3 nights and I was ready to leave on the first night. The TV's are very old school and did not have RCA plug-ins for the kids dvd player. The bathroom was so small my 5 year old twins even said something about it. The door to the bathroom is in the bedroom. Most ES hotels have two doors to the bathroom. I called the front desk several times and they attempted to please me. Also, the breakfast was not up to par for ES. They could take some lessons from the one in Tulsa and the one in San Marcos.

Room Tip: Don't stay here and I promise your room will be better.....lol
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
GMKeith, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton San Antonio - NW I-10, responded to this review, 19 September 2011
Thank you for your understanding regarding the challenges faced cooling your room during your recent stay at Embassy Suites San Antonio Northwest. It was an extremely hot summer we all experienced. In regards to the quality of the television sets, I am happy to let you know we recently installed 37" Samsung flat screen T.V.'s in each one of our suites' bedroom and living room areas.

We hope to see you again sometime soon!

Hutto, Texas
Reviewed 4 August 2011

We stayed here with another family so we could go to the Zoo and swim. We were a little disappointed about some of the amenities. The website boasts an indoor and outdoor pool, however there is only an indoor pool. We also thought there was an outdoor play area but there was not one. Overall it was a nice, inexpensive hotel. Rooms were of good size. Our friends had a major issue with their AC (bad news since both men are AC guys) that didn't get corrected and they didn't move them to another room either. The food was good, and there was a small arcade area for the kids. Get to the breakfast buffet early if you want a table!

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
Midland Texas
Reviewed 21 July 2011

I am Hilton Gold member and an avid fan of the Hilton brand. Meeting my daughter for a getaway weekend together in San Antonio, I thought the Embassy Suites would be perfect for us. Good central location, breakfast included, and a room for each of us. The price was right as well... that should have been my first clue - you get what you pay for - and in this case, not much.
This hotel is so run down, from the lobby and the atrium, to the pool area, and lastly, but not leastly, the room. Why in the summer of 2011 they have TV's that are still analog box sets that are probably 19" is beyond me. What was even funnier, you could rent $14.99 movies and watch them on these 19" sets! But that's not all - carpet was stained and old, furniture was out of date and uncomfortable (not to mention dirty) and maid service was a joke.
There were also a million (okay - maybe not a million)kids running around ALL THE TIME at all hours of the night. We got a laugh walking through the pool area one evening about 10:30 and counted 14 people in the hot tub (kids and adults) - the water in the hot tub and pool were so cloudy you couldn't see through it.
Had a couple of drinks in the bar the first night and it was basically about 6 stools with the restaurant surrounding it. It was okay but not somewhere you would want to hang out. Had room service one time as well - must say, the food was okay (though half of my soup was on the side of the bowl and not in it).
All in all - this is a very "ghetto" hotel. Until they update their exterior and interior and bring it up to Hilton standards, I would stay somewhere else. We would have been much happier at a Garden Inn or other box brand and paying about the same rate.
We didn't let it ruin our weekend - after all... we were there to have some family girl time!

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank txtvsales
GMKeith, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton San Antonio - NW I-10, responded to this review, 23 July 2011
We are very sorry your recent stay at our hotel was not satisfactory. We appreciate the feedback as we continue to strive to deliver a better experience for all of our guests. In regards to the old T.V. set in the suites, we will be installing new 32” flat screen T.V.’s in all of our suites sometime before the end of August.

New Mexico
Reviewed 26 June 2011

We stayed for four nights, and overall the experience was pretty good. Here are the positives: the majority of the staff you come into contact with are incredibly friendly and helpful. Chris, our comp bartender, never had a negative thing to say and made our evenings! The breakfast was excellent, and the chefs were very nice. So, I would say as far as people, this hotel is doing wonderfully. Also, if you ask the front desk for something, they will do it politely and QUICKLY! it was great in that regard. The negatives: our room wasn't ready until over an hour after check-in time and after a nine hour drive, the children were exhausted and ready to rest. and the pool/hot tub area is way too small to accommodate the number of guests the hotel surely expects. However, the worst thing: the cleaning staff/maids. They are the only people working here who did a terrible, terrible job. Our room was not cleaned properly (to the front desk's credit, once I told them, they took care of it immediately). On our last day, our maid ignored our do not disturb sign, and effectively evicted us two hours before check-out was required because we did not want to stare at her cleaning our room. In fact, the maids/cleaning staff were the only thing unacceptable about the hotel. Otherwise, it was definitely stuff we could live with.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank 5pyrates
GMKeith, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton San Antonio - NW I-10, responded to this review, 30 June 2011
Thank you for sharing your recent experience with us at Embassy Suites Suites San Antonio Northwest! We are glad to hear Chris in Comp Bar as well as our Guest Service staff made you feel welcome. I will be reviewing with our Housekeeping staff your feedback in an effort to do a better job of meeting our guests' expectations.