We were on a motor bike tour from the East to West coasts and San Antonio was one of our stop overs. We had planned two nights at this hotel, but unfortunately left after only one night. The hotel itself is in a fairly good location, a bit of a walk to the riverwalk area and the Alamo, but not too far. The room was comfortable and spacious, although it was starting to look a little tired.
Mostly I was unhappy with this hotel for two reasons. The first (which really put us off) was the concierge (or the guy you ask for help with taxis etc). We wanted to go out for dinner and had a restaurant in mind that we really wanted to go to in one of the suburbs (amazing true mexican) ... we asked the concierge to order us a taxi. After he had phoned for the taxi, he commenced to ask us about how often we "vacation" ... I should have realised immediately what this was about, but fell into the trap. He then starts in on "would we like to win a holiday" ... and mentions Wyndham. Well now I realise we are about to get the time share talk - I nip this in the bud quickly by telling him we had only been to a presentation back home in Australia six months previously and I know you are not eligible to "get another free prize" for 12 months. And honestly we told him we were only there for a day, and we were from Oz - why would we want to "win" seven nights we would never be able to use and give up half a day for their hard sell???
Anyway that was fine and we went outside to wait for our cab. 30 minutes later it still hasn't turned up so hubby goes back in and asks the guy about our taxi. He then makes another call and it is at this point that my hubby realises that the guy has phoned a "friend" rather than just a cab company - and calls him on this. We then figure out that the "friend cab driver" is likely going to rip us off and that the "concierge" gets some sort of kick back on all this. That was it for us - we decided then and there we would only stay one night.
So we headed for riverwalk only to find it dead as a doornail at 8.30pm at night (and somewhat scary to be honest). We finally found a cab, got to the place we had wanted to go to at 7pm and luckily they were still opened.
The second reason I am giving this hotel a poor rating is an issue we had with our washing. Hubby had put a load of washing on and then into the dryer - it was right at the back of the hotel up on the 4th floor, and he felt it would be unlikely that someone would come up there, let alone take anything. So he left it in the dryer while he popped back to the room for 10 minutes. When he went back he discovered that the dryer had "stopped with 7 minutes still remaining" so got the stuff out and brought it back to the room. At this point we realised that things had been stolen - not everything - just selected items. My jeans (I was on a bike with only 3 pairs of jeans, to have one stolen did not make me happy) along with a few pairs of his underwear and a couple of odd socks. Yet they left my t-shirts and underwear. Very strange.
Anyway we complained to Tonya who was on the front desk - she was appalled and comped the room for us for the night. I was very impressed with her understanding and surprised that we had our room comped (it was after all our fault for leaving the washing). So how the situation was handled was beyond expectations - and big thanks to Tonya, it was really appreciated.
But unfortunately that along with the concierge situation left us with a bad taste in our mouth for this hotel. Which is a shame.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Holiday Inn Downtown-Market Square is located just 2 blocks to Market Square, 6 blocks to the River Walk area, 8 blocks to Convention Center, 10 blocks to the Alamodome. We have beautifully renovated all of the guest rooms, lobby, fitness center, and pool area! We offer interior corridors, complimentary parking and wi-fi. Madera Restaurant & Bar. Large outdoor pool with spa and sundeck. Business center and sundry shop. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Priceline, Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Travel Republic (UK), IHG, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., Evoline ltd, Cancelon, Hotel.de and HotelQuickly so you can book your Holiday Inn San Antonio Downtown reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Holiday Inn San Antonio Downtown Hotel San Antonio
- San Antonio Holiday Inn
- Holiday Inn San Antonio Downtown Texas