We stayed here to combine a family vacation with a visit with family in Bandera. We had stayed at the sister property in Bastrop a few years back, and that was probably a better experience because it was not during a universal school vacation so the place was not mobbed with little kids.
That being said, we managed to avoid the little kids (ours used to be little, but this was like being at Disney), by hanging out at the adult pool, for which our kids qualified. This pool is beautiful and relaxing. And by lazy-rivering only late at night (with a closing of midnight, this was lovely). Small rant - why can't parents tell their children what is acceptable and what is not? If you let them loose, remind them that the lazy river is LAZY, not a place for you to jump into while those lazing are trying to laze, or to swim under people while they are in their tubes....
While on our balcony overlooking the main entrance area (still very pretty, lovely trees, etc), we watched SUV after SUV unloading family after family. If you are looking for a relaxing, non-kid-drenched retreat, make sure you book during the school year. I have never seen so many SUVs, and during a gas crisis!
Front desk and retail and wait staff were totally delightful. And I can imagine the demands they get! Room was lovely, very clean, very comfortable, kind of western-themed. Our only TRUE complaint was the housekeeping staff. While our room was very clean, they didn't replenish the amenities (from soap to shampoo to coffee) - we had to call several times and they responded quickly, but still...for that amount of $$, replenish the soap please? AND, they were SO LOUD in the hallways - yakking away in Spanish right outside our door and others, starting at 8am - people are on vacation, and they may be SLEEPING, and they really don't want to hear your conversation. At one point we were coming back to our room and a loud housekeeping conversation was going on between two rooms across the hall from each other. The housekeeping staff would shout at one another from all over the place, across atriums, down hallways. I found this SO surprising in a hotel of this quality.
Other than that, the grounds are gorgeous, the gym is nice but nothing super luxurious, public spaces are great, poolside menu fine, retail outlets overpriced, but to be expected. We'd return but not during school break for sure. We remember what it was like when our kids were little but when I want to be swarmed with young 'uns I'll go to the Magic Kingdom!
One more rant - WHY do people go to beautiful hotels and not locate the trash bins? While lazy rivering at night we saw staffers removing cans and paper from the beautiful landscaping - it is so disrespectful - just because you spend a ton of money does not mean you should use the ground, the grass, as your trash can. People can be so rude. The staffers were on top of it, but you just wonder what they think of the guests that do this....
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Experience the true Texan hospitality of our genuine San Antonio Hill Country resort. Built upon 300 acres of the historic Rogers-Wiseman family ranch, our resort offers a unique blend of comfort and elegance. With the inviting charm of a Texas ranch house and the amenities of a luxury resort, guests can escape to a quiet retreat from everyday life. Float down our country-style lazy river, pull up a rocking chair on Aunt Mary’s porch, golf 27-holes, or join our many family activities. Rich in tradition and overflowing with amenities for relaxing, playing and dining, all just 20 minutes from the San Antonio International Airport and River Walk. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hyatt Hotels Corporation, Travel Republic (UK), Booking.com, Splitty, TripOnline SA, Expedia, Evoline ltd, HotelsClick, Hotels.com, getaroom.com, Cancelon, Ebookers, HotelQuickly and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your Hyatt Regency Hill Country Resort and Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hyatt Regency Hill Country Hotel San Antonio
- Hyatt San Antonio
- Hyatt Hill Country Resort San Antonio
- Hyatt Regency Hill Country Resort And Spa San Antonio, Texas
- Hyatt Regency San Antonio
- Hyatt Hill Country San Antonio
- Hilton Hill Country