“This San Antonio Property hits all the marks!”

Hyatt Regency Hill Country Resort and Spa
Ranked #6 of 354 Hotels in San Antonio
GreenLeadersBronze level
Houston, Texas
“This San Antonio Property hits all the marks!”
Reviewed 11 August 2013

I will disclose that I have stayed at this property several times over the last twelve years, but one thing has never changed and that is the property's consistency. With each and every visit, I encounter very friendly staff everyone. Most of the time, I bring my family and this is a VERY family friendly property. This is the big selling point here. You can relax and enjoy your family as well as all the amenities the property has to offer like the lazy river, etc. This year, they have added a surf simulator, however, I am not a big fan of these, so I won't comment. Spotless cleanliness throughout the rooms and public areas. The food is always consistently good. This Hyatt is a bit pricey, but very worth it. I consider it a destination resort, and although it is across from SeaWorld, I would not dream of spending the dollars to stay here and not take advantage of the resort.

Room Tip: I have stayed in all areas and cannot say that I have ever been given a bad room. Note for families...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (308)
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 10 August 2013

1. Get ready to drink (or be exposed to large amounts of alcohol, at least). While the hotel touts itself as a "family-friendly" resort, I found *multiple* brands of 12 packs and 6 packs of beer for sale in the first-floor gift shop. Oh, and it was accessible by a walk-up cooler. Perfect access for the many, many teenagers at the property.

2. Be prepared for the lazy river to feel like a big family reunion. The lazy river was packed full of people. If you remember the 1980's game "Frogger" you will know exactly what I am referring to when I say that the traffic on the river was almost impossible to pass. I had my 3 and 5 year old with me and both children were routinely being bonked by passing guests on the inner tubes. The alcohol use continues on the lazy river. Many people drink alcohol in personal cups/cans while in the lazy river. So much so that the edges of the lazy river were littered with beer cans and empty glasses.

3. The widespread alcohol use at the lazy river/pool make for loud, and sometimes inappropriate, language. While older children may be quite used to this, younger children are not. The party atmosphere outside was not "family friendly."

4. The inner tubes at the lazy river come on a "first grab, first served" basis. The property does not have a central area where the inner tubes are distributed. So at any one time, there will be many confused guests standing in the water wondering "how do I get one of those things?" The sport of lunging for a passing empty inner tube could become a Hyatt Hill Country sport.

5. The inner tubes are not meant for children 5 and under. Their circumference is far too wide. Another feature that wasn't terribly "family friendly."

6. There is no blue swimming pool here. All of the pools (which have dark green water) connect to the lazy river. So, if you want to enjoy some time relaxing in a nice, traditional blue swimming pool -- no chance here.

7. Do not stay in the 700, 800 or 900 area rooms. Get a room just off the main lobby. The rooms are much, much better appointed. I know this because we moved rooms. We were placed in the 700 area and the room was very shabby.

8. If you have young children, there is only ONE restaurant on the property where you can take them to eat. If you are staying for multiple days, this can become tiresome.

9. Park wherever you can in the hotel parking lot. That means park along the curbs, play "create-a-space" in the parking lot, etc. There is insufficient parking at the hotel and many, many times the only way you will find a space (and not have to walk a long way back to the hotel) is to park wherever you can.

10. If you are traveling without kids and want a relaxing time, do not stay at this hotel. The noise level is so high that the hotel actually leaves complimentary ear plugs by the beds!

3 Thank 700mumtraveler
cptgoodtime
Reviewed 10 August 2013

I have stayed here before, but it had been a few years. Like most people who planned to visit I came to this sight for inside information. Based on reviews It seemed most people were happy with their stay and my memory seemed to recall it was a good time.

This trip was going to have us staying here 3 days and I was going to be on the lookout for anything that would help other travelers. All I can say is this place was totally worth it. From arrival to departure everyone was pleasant and friendly. Parking was easy, check in was a breeze. I even received a room upgrade. I searched the room for cracks, chipping paint, dirt, etc., but the room was spotless top to bottom. We traveled with small children....well behaved small children with parent approved good manners and the staff was out of their way nice in assisting them. That means a lot to parents who try to ensure that our children don't hinder other travelers or staff. The grounds were secure, safe, and clean and I could understand parents with older children letting kids have some space here.

We did everything here, ate s'mores, watched movies on the lawn, saw animals brought in from Africa. All the food we ate was great. I have read reviews where others had issues, but we had a perfect stay. It was safe, clean, friendly, and fun.

Well done Hyatt Hill Country. We will be back.

Reviewed 8 August 2013

We have been to the Hyatt Hill Country every year for 6 years. The kids love it and feel like its a home away from home. They know where everything is. We feel comfortable letting them run around and do their own thing in a safe environment. This year they added the flow rider and what a treat! Although its expensive, $15 one time registration fee & $35 to do it each time, it was worth it. Our boys are now 10 & 13 so we were concerned they were starting to outgrow the Hyatt but it was one of our best years there. We will be back next year!

Room Tip: Always ask for a view. Only a few rooms face the parking so you don't want to be in one since th...
2 Thank Jenwall2012
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 8 August 2013

Family favorite - we have been returning to this hotel for many years and now my children have children it's still a great time for all.
I was glad to see they are updating the rooms and grounds - everything looks beautifful.
Checking in on a Sunday afternoon was very crazy and our rooms still were not available until almost 6pm. We at least were able to obtain one of 3 rooms around 4:30 and base everyone out of there. However, Alexis stayed in contact with me and did offer us a voucher for each room to use toward food.
If possible reserve one of the ground floor rooms - much more convenient than trying to make your way thru the hotel

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
St Andrews, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 August 2013

Great venue for a couple of days away. The Lazy River is a great way to relax but watch the mosquitoes after 5pm (wish they would spray the area as it does spoil the fun). Rooms are very nice (our fifth trip to this Hyatt) and golf is fun with three nine hole courses (Try The Oaks as part of your 18). As with most hotels the food lets them down but food pretty good here (Don't eat the hot dogs as they are pretty bad). Highly recommended for business or pleasure or both.

Room Tip: Hot sun so rooms towards the rear of the hotel best although all rooms are good.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
Rockwall, Texas
Reviewed 1 August 2013

My husband brought us along for a conference he had & we are so glad he did. This was the most amazing hotel we have ever stated at! Pay for the daily resort use, which gives you access the pool/water slides, etc. There are hourly activities for the kids- most are free. Some cost just a few dollars for the crafts. There are movies each night out on the lawn. The restaurants don't have that great of a selection and I'd recommend going to the market & stocking up on goodies for your room if you have a refrigerator inside (not all rooms do, so check that when you book).

The staff are all super friendly and helpful. One even stopped to adjust the training wheels on a bike we rented that my 3-yr old was riding. The rental was free. There was a playground that the kids enjoyed as well as horseshoes, badminton & a nature trail.

There are 3 9-hole golf courses that my husband enjoyed ($$$). The golf carts are brand new & state-of-the-art.

The pool area was spread out nicely to accommodate the hotel size. There was a tot pool, an all use pool with volleyball & basketball areas, an adult-only pool, a lazy river & a water slide. Even with a sold-out hotel, the pools were never too crowded that you couldn't enjoy yourself. The only thing we didn't do was the wave machine- it was a $15 sign up fee then $35/hour. Too pricey for us.

There are a few restaurants outside of the resort. Rudy's is a fantastic Texas BBQ place. There is also a mini-golf course across the highway. The resort is close to SeaWorld, if you are going there. This is definitely a resort destination and you can find almost anything you need inside. We all had a blast!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family