“What a trip!”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Leander
“What a trip!”
Reviewed 30 June 2012

We have a fabulous trip this week. We had excellent service from start to finish. I wanted to mention that Yasi D'Amore was the person who check us in, and took care of every need that we had during our too short stay of 2 days. There was also an agent named Dallas(?) that was also great when our room was not ready. We enjoyed using all of the hotel including an excellent breakfast, cocktail hour, the rooftop pool and exercise room.
We will definitely look to staying there again when we return. We are looking forward to another stay at the Hyatt Hill Country Resort next month.
Hyatt means excellent!

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (517)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
New Orleans, Louisiana
Reviewed 28 June 2012

I visited this hotel with my family during the week of 6/23 - 6/26. This is a beautiful hotel located right on the "River walk" (to the rear). However, the front of the hotel faces the Alamo. Our room included large floor to floor windows (with a view of the River Walk), comfortable bedding and a refrigerator. Each morning we enjoyed a wonderful buffet breakfast, which included an omelet station. **The extras: The staff (Leslie, thank you for making my birthday weekend special)! Other staff members also delivered "exceptional" customer service (Jose, Jeff and Stephanie), please thank them also! Overall: Excellent customer service, price, and location. I would highly recommend this hotel!

Room Tip: HIgher floor with an Alamo or River Walk view
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
Mineral Wells, Texas
Reviewed 27 June 2012

I love San Antonio and I have stayed several times but this place is unbelievably ridiculous - in a bad way. You have to have a key card to access the elevators. You CAN'T access the riverwalk (by elevator) after 11pm. You can't even go outside to the pool after 10pm. Most places won't let you swim after 10 (which I'll never understand) but I was there 3 days and never even saw the pool. The rooms are way overpriced and don't believe there website where it says balconies. There's not even one!!! Oh, I take that back, they have inside balconies overlooking the ballroom (which is pointless). And the food - disgusting - on the breakfast menu you have your choice of BRISKET or ROTISSERIE CHICKEN for breakfast??? No plain bacon and eggs. And of course the food is obscenely overpriced. The staff were snobby and rude and had a "better than you" attitude. I wasn't impressed with the location - our room was allegedly an Alamo view room but I couldn't see anything but rooftops and since the elevated won't let you go to the riverwalk after 11 I had to walk around the entire hotel and one area on the side had some sketchy characters hanging around. All the other hotels I stayed in on the riverwalk don't tell you when you can and can't go outside. I also had to wait 30 minutes to check in and out and they tried to charge me extra fee for checking out late while I had been standing in line. No impressed with this place at all. There are several great hotels on the riverwalk that have great atmosphere and service - this is not one of them.

Room Tip: Don't pay extra for the Executive Riverwalk view or Alamo view room with a balcony - it's no...
5 Thank Kellynicole85
Texas
Reviewed 27 June 2012

This is a nice hotel, but just not quite up to the 4 star standard.

My husband wanted a relaxing mini-vacay and wanted to stay near the River Walk. I had not visited the area since junior high, but maybe my memory should have tipped me off that "River Walk" and "serene" are not adjectives that belong together, at least not on the weekend. Upon arrival, I was disappointed that the hotel lobby was, um, lively to say the least. Lively like a train station.

Our room was reasonable in size and appeared to have been updated in the past 10 years or so, but there were little signs or wear and tear. I suppose I expect a 4 star hotel to raise the bar a little, and I just did not find the finish out to meet that standard. I would give it 3, maybe 3-1/2 stars. There were little rips in the carpet. The bathroom was so tiny that there was no way to effectively enter and close the door behind oneself. I noticed a few hairs that were not ours on the shower walls.

Breakfast was very good, with a made-to-order omelette station. However, I wish they had handled the charges differently, perhaps by giving us breakfast vouchers to turn in at the restaurant. Here, we got a check and were told that "if" complimentary breakfast was included in our reservation, it would be deducted from our final bill. That left me anticipating a fight over charges at checkout, since the breakfast buffet was over $40 per morning. Thankfully, the fight did not materialize and they even covered most of our gratuity, but I shouldn't have to wonder about something like that.

Self parking was $27/night. Crazy talk. I don't even want to think what they would have charged for valet. We parked elsewhere after the first night and walked a couple blocks.

In short, I would recommend this hotel to families, but not to couples trying to get away and unwind.

Room Tip: Some rooms have a view of the Alamo. Ask for a high floor to get away from River Walk noise.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank SniffleCat
Old Town, ME
Reviewed 26 June 2012

Bottom line: Great location near the Alamo and riverwalk and if you book right, it can be a pretty good value too.
Value: We were able to find this one for a pretty competitive rate for the area. Try the usual sites.
Rooms: Big and clean. Ours had a view of the Alamo.
Location: About 1-2 min walk from the Alamo and right on the riverwalk. The location is what this hotel is about.
Service: The front desk folks were really helpful and courteous. They moved my wife and I when we wanted a different room and were really accommodating when I left some stuff in the room or asked to store our bags on the last day.
Amenities: Nice atrium. Free wi-fi. Nice work-out room and roof-top pool.
Other: You can take the bus from the airport for much cheaper than the shuttle. It’ll be about two blocks walk from the closest stop.

Room Tip: Ask for one with a view of the Alamo.
Alexandria, Louisiana
Reviewed 26 June 2012

I absolutely loved everything at this hotel, from the riverwalk acess to the glass elevators! The staff was attentive to our every need and were so excited to be working at the Hyatt Regency. We stayed in a river view double bed for 3 nights. I requested a high floor and was given the highest, i really appreciate that! I also love loved the 16 floor atrium as it greets you from both entraces. One thing that i was not fond of, was that the main elevators dont really go down to the actual river level. You have down a flight of stairs or you can go to the lobby floor and then walk across the hotel and switch elevators. It didnt really bother me but i can see how it can be fustrating to some people! In my package that i brought, it came with breakfast in the hotel at the restaurant on the lobby level. It was called the "Q," and it was amazing. They have a peraonal chef who nakes your own omlet of your choice and the fruit was devine! Overall, this hotel was magnificent and i will definitly recommend this to anyone who wants a nice comfortable hotel!!

• Stayed June 2012
1 Thank BestReviews101
San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed 26 June 2012

My husband and I just completed a 2-night stay for business. Everything was just as it ahould be...excellent service, well-appointed, clean room, friendly staff and a great view of the Alamo from our room! We would definiely stay here again. There is no need to look for another hotel in San Antonio!

1 Thank Nancy346