“Very convenient to Riverwalk, the Alamo, and tour buses”

Hyatt Regency San Antonio
Ranked #20 of 358 Hotels in San Antonio
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 3 November 2013

The staff was great, especially in the dining room. I'm originally from Boston the sox had just won the 2013 pennant and I was wearing the 2007 champion shirt. They called around to sport stores trying to find me the new shirt.

Unless you can get a room on a lower floor of the Riverwalk, go for the Alamo view. I had a Riverwalk view on the 9th floor. It took me a while to find the river. You could barely see it from the room. I called the front desk and changed to the Alamo view. When I booked I had requested a river view on a lower floor, when I arrived there weren't any available.

The elevators only go to the lobby. You have to walk around the lobby and take another elevator that only goes one floor - to the Riverwalk.

I had a $100 dining room credit. When they slipped my bill under the door on my departure day, they had given me a $50 dining room credit and charged my credit card $50. I called the front desk and she checked my account and told me that they delivered my bill before they posted the other $50 credit.

I filled my ice bucket when I arrived, for my ice pack. I had recently hurt my back. The next day when room service came, not only didn't they refill the ice bucket, they also didn't empty it.

Thanks to Jamie, George and Carlos in the dining room who made my stay a pleasure.

Room Tip: Pick the Alamo view. The picture of the Riverwalk on their website you can't see from the rooms
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank moej50
Stephanie C, Manager at Hyatt Regency San Antonio, responded to this reviewResponded 4 November 2013

Thank you for your feedback. We are glad to hear you enjoyed the location of our property. We hope to see you again in the future.

Reviewed 31 October 2013

Stayed here for an overnight business trip. The location is excellent, right on the Riverwalk. I was very impressed by the staff in all areas of the property who were readily available and very eager to assist guests. This is quite rare today it seems but this Hyatt has obviously done a good job in training and motivating their team. My room was comfortable, clean and everything was in good working order. Breakfast was nice, my coffee and water were refilled frequently and the food was fresh with choices ranging from fruit and cereal to a custom omelette. I would definitely stay here again. Great job Hyatt!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
Stephanie C, Manager at Hyatt Regency San Antonio, responded to this reviewResponded 1 November 2013

Thank you for the great review! We are glad to hear you enjoyed the location of our property and the service provided by our associates. We look forward to seeing you again in the future.

Reviewed 29 October 2013

Let me start by leading with a story pertaining to my last Hyatt stay in Miami where my Canadian passport was STOLEN from my hotel room. I recently became a Hyatt Gold Passport holder as I had stayed at the Hyatt a number of times over the last few years for work-related travel. I had to fly back without valid ID through a few airports to make it back home to begin with, and ultimately made it back to Vancouver by driving from Seattle through customs after managing it to make it through a few airports without proper ID. Needless to say I was quite choked when I found out that my work travel arrangements had been made for me at the Hyatt.

I work with hotels for a living, a lot of them.This hotel itself is not bad: The location is GREAT, the rooms are clean, but as much as the staff TRIED to do their job the lack of communication at the hotel is beyond sub-par.

After telling the front desk agent that checked me in my horror story from my previous Hyatt stay, she was sympathetic to my scenario, my room got upgraded to an executive king. Okay I thought, at least they are trying to fix a bad situation aside from their control, I was a little bit happier. Being hungry from flying all day myself and the President of my company stepped out to have a bite to eat. A few clients joined us for a bit, then we parted ways as we had to return to the hotel to complete some prep work that needed to be done given that the next day was the first day of the trade show we were there to work. We agreed that we would meet up after we finished a few things (dry cleaning, purchasing trade show related items, etc) in an hours time.

In Vancouver (which is home), I had called ahead to see if they could provide me with dry cleaning services as I had been on the go a lot the past few weeks and I hadn't had the chance to get one of my suits cleaned. The phone agent I spoke with said it wouldn't be a problem if I had dropped it off the night before, and that I would have it in the morning. However, when I asked them to do this for me at the hotel they said they did not do this. After explaining to the front desk agent what I had been told, she told me that she would speak to someone in housekeeping and get back to me. I received a phone call shortly thereafter (I was out with my boss and clients at this point, close by) stating that someone would come pick it up in 10 minutes. I rushed back to the hotel and waited for almost 40 minutes, no one came. I brought my suit down to the front desk at this point and said, can you figure this out? I have no more time to be wasting on waiting for your cleaning staff as I was skipping a function while I waited. The agent took my suit and said that would be fine, and that I would have it by 9am the next morning.

8:45am the next day comes, and I get a phone call from the housekeeping staff stating that my suit would not be ready until 5:00pm that day. The trade show started at 10:00am that morning. I told her, just forget it, I'll come down and pick up the suit and deal with it on my own. She then stopped and said no no no, its not a problem, I'll have it up to you by 9:15am. A little frustrated I said okay and left it at that.

9:15am comes, the housekeeping manager dropped it off and said there was a mix up, they had no idea whether I was picking clothes up or dropping them off and were confusing me with the guest who was in the room before me? I was totally confused at this point as were the hotel staff. The cleaning staff said that the cleaning would be complimentary and offered to clean some of my other clothes if I needed it. I said no, but if you would like to press a few of my shirts it will save me some time. She agreed, and as I explained to her my dissatisfaction and mentioned my Miami experience, she even went so far as to apologize and say "maybe we will send a nice bottle of wine up for you later as well". I though again, okay they're trying.

I return to my hotel room after the show, to find no bottle of wine, my pressed clothes, and a bill for $39 (or so) for the shirts they had just pressed. The no bottle of wine was not a big deal although I have no idea why someone would suggest it and then not do it, however, I was livid about the cleaning charges. I went down to the front desk and spoke with the head concierge at the time, he removed the charges and apologized.

A lady by the name of Jenny Chavez emailed me a couple of days later asking how she could do anything to make my stay better, my response was this:

"Some freebies would be nice considering some of the issues I've had and some of the things i was told I was going to receive but haven't, but I'll leave that in your court"

She extended a $50 F&B credit, thank you. At this point I was (kind of) happy as the staff were doing what they could...until checkout time a couple days later. My company president who I was traveling with left a day before I did and had left everything on our corporate card, filling out the appropriate authorization forms for me to checkout freely the next day. The next morning when I went down to check out they had no record of this on file. I had to call my boss back in Vancouver and get a brief description of the person to see if she was working. The agent was there, and when the agent at the front desk went to grab the other agent that had checked him out, she just looked at the screen and said, oh yeah that's all good it was taken care of yesterday. Really? What if she hadn't been there. Again another example of horrible communication.

This isn't even the final straw. Even after all of this, I get the survey email from Hyatt and I fill it out. They ask if you would like someone to contact you to explain what went wrong. When I get a response from the manager, I receive a copy and pasted email response addressed to a Mr. Wright, which is not anywhere close to my last name, and then immediately receive an email addressed to me thereafter.

Here is my response, I've left the out the person's name that sent it:

If someone else wants to PHONE me I'll be happy to elaborate, aside from that I'm done with Hyatt.

You personally didn't even take the time to properly send me this copy/pasted email and addressed me as Mr. Wright hence you sending it to me again. It's this attention to detail that has become the norm in my dealings with Hyatt. My passport was stolen from my room in my previous visit to the Hyatt in downtown Miami, which caused me a ton of grief as well. San Antonio may have been the final straw.

I haven't received a phone call. Once again, I'm done with Hyatt.

1  Thank Chadderboxx
Reviewed 28 October 2013

This is a beautiful hotel and in a great location! My sleeping room was excellent. I was hosting a meeting for 15 people there and I did run into a few issues there. Two of my clients were told they couldn't stay there because the hotel was sold out when they did have valid reservations. My catering rep did take care of them though and they stayed the 2nd night back at this hotel and their room charge was waived. They were also given bottles of wine and the hotel apologized. The meeting room I had reserved was changed without asking me and the room was too small for my group. We were cramped, very close together at the table even though I had asked for them to be 2 per 6'. We were also supposed to have cinnamon rolls as part of our continental breakfast, but received oatmeal instead.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
Stephanie C, Manager at Hyatt Regency San Antonio, responded to this reviewResponded 31 October 2013

Thank you for taking the opportunity to review your recent stay with us. We apologize for your less than pleasurable experience. We would love to have another opportunity in the future to provide you with the standard of service both you and we expect.

Reviewed 28 October 2013

Location is great, service is friendly and helpful. Beth, in the bar, was particularly friendly and we learned a few things before we headed out to explore. Overall, I think it is a pricey hotel and I can't say we got value out of spending that extra money, hence the 4 star rating.

Room Tip: Be sure to ask for Riverwalk view.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for this kind review. We are happy to hear you enjoyed our property’s Riverwalk location. We look forward to seeing you again soon!

Reviewed 26 October 2013

The Hyatt Regency is perfectly located - on the riverwalk, a pretty 1 block walk to the Alamo, and close to shopping. Rooms are clean and comfortable. Appreciated the fridge and in-room safe. Staff were pleasant and accommodating. I had an exterior room so didn't encounter the noise that other guests experienced who were on lower levels and facing the atrium, particularly those near the restaurant or meeting/banquet rooms. I would definitely recommend for business or leisure travelers.

1  Thank HigherEdAdmin
Stephanie C, Manager at Hyatt Regency San Antonio, responded to this reviewResponded 30 October 2013

Thank you for this great review. We are happy to hear you enjoyed our property’s Riverwalk location while in town on business. We look forward to seeing you during your next trip!

Reviewed 25 October 2013

Perfect location right on the riverwalk, and close to the convention center. There are several room types; rooms that face into the atrium and rooms that face to the outside. Pay extra and get the outside view. The interior rooms are dark and poorly lit. In addition, if there is a loud person in the bar located in the lobby area, you will be able to hear them well into the night! However, the rooms are clean, well decorated including a fridge, reading chair, and nice size desk. The rooms are comfy Service was terrific especially in the QBar. The skypool was really nice experience and on the weekends, there is an attendant that opens the bar. There is an Einstein Bagel in the lobby for a quick breakfast and latte. Overall, nice place to stay. Service great.

Room Tip: Stay away from the atrium rooms.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business

Thank you for this kind review. We enjoyed reading all of your feedback and are happy to hear you enjoyed our property during your trip to San Antonio. We appreciate your comments and look forward to seeing you again soon!