“Great location, but pricey for additional services.”

Hyatt Regency San Antonio
Ranked #20 of 358 Hotels in San Antonio
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 19 April 2010

This hotel has an amazing location right on the Riverwalk with views of the Alamo. However, you paid the price for prime location. Self parking in the garage across the street was very pricey at $23 a night or $30 a night valet. There was a charge for Wi Fi (around $15 a day) and everything in your room (water at $5 a bottle, mini bar, etc) was sensored and charged to your room as soon as you picked it up! Thank god there was a CVS right next door.

However, the service was accommodating, the rooms were clean, modern and comfortable and overall I had a very nice stay.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled solo
2  Thank lsarao
There are newer reviews for Hyatt Regency San Antonio

Reviewed 18 April 2010

Great for location. Access to everything. Alamo acoss the courtyard...very scenicshort walk. Riverwalk is out the back door. Close to great resaurants, conference center, shopping. Very clean hotel.Rooms are spacious. Excellent service. Try out the jazz club. Perfect place fpr after dinner fun.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank TexasWatergirl
Reviewed 14 April 2010

I stayed at the Hyatt with my family while on a business trip April 4-7, and got what I considered to be a great deal on hotwire ($111/night). The hotel location was perfect, right on the Riverwalk, with a portion of the river running right through the hotel. It was close to many great restaurants and bars, and near the Alamo and the other downtown attractions such as La Villita.

The room was a bit small, but very comfortable and clean. What did not impress me was the little charges for everything--discount (3 star) hotels have free internet, free parking, etc. but this 4 star hotel charged for those extras. Internet was $10.75/day, and self-park (across the street) was $25, with valet $29/day. I requested a crib and fridge at check in, and both arrived before we made it to the room, and surprisingly, they did NOT charge for those two items. I was expecting to find a charge for them on my bill!

The only complaint was housekeeping. One of our kids slept with us during the stay, and wet the bed at night. In order to indicate we needed the sheets changed, we took the sheet off the bed when we left the next morning. At 11pm when we were going to bed the next night, we pulled back the comforter to find the same, stained sheet had been put back on the bed. We also found that housekeeping was not very timely--we'd be out all day, me working and the family exploring, and come back at 5pm and find that housekeeping was just getting to our room at that time. This was frustrating, as we either had to wait or didn't get our room cleaned, and at 5pm it seems reasonable to expect this would have already been taken care of earlier in the day.

The rooftop pool was small, but nice, and it's worth going up to the 11th floor for the view of the city from that vantage point.

Overall, it was a nice stay and the location truly was perfect. I would recommend this hotel, but not to a budget traveler!

Stayed: April 2010, travelled on business
2  Thank localala
Reviewed 12 April 2010

We got a great rate at this hotel through Hotwire so for the price, the hotel was great. However if I had booked the hotel for the going rate, I would have been disappointed. The hotel is in need of some renovations - it is old and dated looking. The location of the hotel is great - right on the riverwalk and in the thick of all the restaurants, bars etc. The hotel was also a very short walk to the Alamo and trolly stops. That was very helpful since we were traveling with two kids under the age of 7. The hotel rooms were nice - nothing special. The room was clean however we had to request housekeeping to come reclean the bathroom. It was dirty. The hotel has everything you need - dining, pool, fitness etc. The restaurant was overpriced. We paid $70 for a breakfast for four. We only ate there once and it was the most expensive meal of our trip including our dinners out. If you can get a great rate through a discount travel site, I would say "go for it" otherwise, you may want to shop other hotels. Also, be prepared for a hefty valet fee.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank GoWandering
Reviewed 1 April 2010

Situated right on the River walk and cose to the Alamo and convention center. Very handy for downtown restaraunts and bars. Very busy tourist area. The hotel was OK but is very 90's in apprearance and ambiance, I believe that it will be remodelled soon. The restaraunt is closed on Sunday evenings. San Antonio has a lot of history and the Alamo is a must see. I wasnot impressed by the local mall, bit limited compared to the usual US offering. I liked the hotel staff who wee very cheerful and efficient.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank Paul S
Reviewed 19 March 2010

I reserved this hotel because I had a rewards certificate from Marriott and Hyatt, but no Marriott rooms were available. Also, I could not book just one night and had to stay two to use my reward certificate (??) so reluctantly booked two nights at $259/night. To say I was expecting a NICE place on the River is an understatement. It was okay but unacceptable at that rate in my opinion. We paid $50 to park and internet was not free. The beds were two full beds and though they were not uncomfortable, they were small. I agree with another reviewer who stated the ac didn't seem to work. It was cold early in the evening but seemed to turn off while we slept and then it was HOT and wouldn't come back on. This is not a hotel room for a group of four people to get ready together in...the only plugs near a mirror were in the bathroom and we couldn't plug in an iron and hair dryer at the same time so really there was only one usuable plug at a time! huh!!!??? The only other mirror was a full length mirror next to the bathroom where you could stand and do your makeup. The best thing I could say about this hotel was that the manager did reduce our rate when I explained our extreme dissatisfaction and offered us breakfast. I would rather stay somewhere with better amenities and a better value...so many hotel that are clean offer free internet and parking, being on the Riverwalk....just not that big of a deal to pay for.

Stayed: March 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank hgc113
Reviewed 8 March 2010

I had a conference in San Antonio, so I booked a room here on recommendations from friends who said I had to stay right on the Riverwalk. The Hyatt was exactly what I expected for a business hotel. The check-in was efficient and friendly. The room was average size with your typical modern-style decor. I didn't love the bed; I'm used to a pretty cushy pillow-top mattress, so this one was really firm for my preference. I was on the 2nd floor (which is really about 4 stories above street level), so at night I heard late-night revelers from the Riverwalk. I also heard every person who walked up and down the hall (including the gaggles of cheerleaders in town for a competition). I never heard any guests inside the 2 adjoining rooms.

If I were coming to San Antonio again, I would not stay at the Hyatt. I'd stay at the Hampton Inn, where you are still close enough to the convention center but get free breakfast and free internet. I didn't have a car to park, but a colleague paid $84 for 3 nights. I didn't use the internet at the Hyatt because it was $12 a day. I also didn't like being so close to the Riverwalk...I'm not a party person, so the noise that went late into the night was annoying.

Pros: Free fitness room (that was really well equipped), close to Alamo, 7 minute walk to convention center

Cons: Noise from hallway and Riverwalk, expensive extras like internet and parking.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled on business