“I Love the La Mansion”

Ranked #22 of 358 Hotels in San Antonio
Fort Worth, Texas, USA
“I Love the La Mansion”
Reviewed 15 November 2013

Although I was never able to find my way from my room to the meeting facilities the same way twice, I love La Mansion. I've stayed there occasionally since the 70's. It's just charming and the staff is very friendly. I suppose it's not the most upscale on the Riverwalk but it is everything you need and very nice. I love knowing that it was built as St Mary's College and enjoy imagining the students so long ago. It's in a great location on the River Walk - you go one way and it's quiet without crowds and the other way takes you into the thick of the restaurants. My go to stay in San Antonio, even though I could pay more. And they even served vegan fare throughout the conference I attended although there could have been more vegetable choices.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Omni Hotels & Resorts

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (543)
  • Arabic first
Spring, United States
Reviewed 14 November 2013

Got room with better view than expected. Location right on River Walk can't be beat and the historical beauty of the hotel is one of it's chief charms. Top notch valets-- accommodating and friendly. Valet price $35/night too high. Saved 50% on room via Hotel.com.

Texas
Reviewed 14 November 2013

Stayed here for a short reunion with friends. Had the room attached to the suite for our "meetings", it was very nice as was the living area. We were on the riverwalk and must admit it is quite noisy if you want to go to bed before 1:30am. It was a holiday weekend which meant the bands playing at the Villita outdoor theatre could be heard. Many of our friends were not bothered by the noise since their rooms weren't on the riverwalk. So heads up if you want the riverwalk frontage rooms - it is fun to sit on the balcony and watch the people go by. The staff are friendly and very helpful. The food at the Sunday brunch was very good ( as well as the regular breakfast). The outdoor pool area is nice with tables as well as lounge chairs. Enjoyed the quick stay - I have stayed at several of the hotels in San Antonio (on and off the riverwalk) and La Mansion is one of the best.

Room Tip: Riverwalk rooms while fun to have a view are quite noisy at night.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
The Woodlands, United States
Reviewed 14 November 2013

I have stayed at the La Mansión Del Rio 4 time in the last 20 years & I am never disappointed: beautiful, with a private balcony facing the river walk, great food & service. The staff met me with my tickets to Fiesta Texas on the sidewalk, after being blocked & delayed by a parade last Saturday!

Pineville, Louisiana
Reviewed 13 November 2013

Very first stay in San Antonio on the River Walk which is so beautiful. Was a little disappointed in our room but was told they were booked solid, so,we understood. While watching the LSU football game on TV a knock came on the door, figured making too much noise. Manager explained that there was a leak next door and wanted to check our room for water. Had a little which was cleaned up. After about 30 minutes had gone by noticed water had gotten all the way to the bed and my slippers were soaked.
They had to move us to another room which was on the 3rd floor with a double balcony overlooking the River Walk. It was beautiful! Then we were told that there was our name would be given at their famous restaurant for Sunday Brunch ($45pp) paid for by hotel. Plus, if that were not enough the room was provided for free the first night!!
Now that is Customer Service at its finest. Very accommodating to say the least. Will not be our last time there.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Robert W
Freeport, New York
Reviewed 13 November 2013

I just returned last night from a 4 night stay at La Mansion in San Antonio. I was in Austin in Aug and took a short day trip to the Riverwalk and loved it, so I brought my daughters back for a longer stay. La Mansion is a wonderful hotel with old world and rustic charm, the room had wood beams on the ceiling and an exposed brick wall. Our room was on the 2nd floor facing the pool which is heated. There was three of us and the room size was fine. I enjoyed opening the balcony door in the AM to check the weather and get a feel for the day. From the hotel you can step out the back door right on to the the busiest section of the Riverwalk. You can't beat this location if you want to enjoy the Riverwalk and any of the other local tourist attractions as they are all walkable. Service at this hotel was excellent from the moment you pull up to the main entrance and greeted by the valet team. You are greeted by a sweet smelling aroma in the lobby area as well. (I later found out this is a cleaning spray they use). The Select Guest service of two complimentary beverages in the morning and the turn down service is also a nice touch. We had a late flight and so I asked for a late check out and was told no problem and so we checked out at 1pm. Basically any special request or question we had was taken care of.
I want to especially recognize Rick at the Concierge desk who went out of his way to accommodate us on Sun night. We had read that there was a reggae concert at a local club called Korova at 7pm, we took a cab over and the place was closed. So I went back to the hotel to ask Rick to make some calls for us, he called a friend he knew that played there before, he called the neighboring bar next door and ticket central who advertised the event. We couldn't get any answers so Rick drove over to the club himself and came back with the information. It turned out the lead singer canceled but the opening acts would still perform and he offered to drive us back. We ended up going to the Comedy Club instead and Rick dropped us off there. I applaud him for going the extra mile, he exemplifies five star service!
I would also like to recommend the Sunday Brunch with free mimosas. It is an outstanding buffet from 10am - 2pm, $42.95pp and well worth the experience. Ralph was our bus boy and he was so attentive and very personable. We enjoyed chatting with him during our brunch.
We also went over to the Mokara, the sister hotel and enjoyed some spa services there as well - massage, hot tub, steam room and sauna. One other event you should try is the Segway ride with Seg City Tours.
Overall I can't find one negative thing to say about Omni La Mansion and when I return to the San Antonio area again I will definitely stay here again! Kudos to all for a job well done!

Corpus Christi, Texas, United States
Reviewed 13 November 2013

The hotel is beautiful, the service fabulous, the room large and very clean. The little device that plays white noise was my first clue that there might be a problem! Of course it did not work when we needed it. The beds are a double size, seemed smaller than a full. 2 adults can not sleep comfortably without hitting each other every time you move, which you do a lot because the beds are probably the most uncomfortable , hardest mattresses I have ever slept on. Even my 17 and 10 year old said their hips and shoulders were sore, so not just us! Our room was on the corner of the river and a street and we were literally up all night with the music from several clubs around! That's when we could have used the white noise machine. At 2 am we contemplated just getting up and driving home it was so miserable. If you are going to San Antonio to stay up most of the night with the night life, it's fine, but if you actually want to sleep there are many more options especially when paying for a 5 star hotel!!

1 Thank Traci D
Lucie A, Manager at Omni La Mansion del Rio, responded to this review, 15 November 2013
Dear Traci D.,

I am so sorry the noise conditioner was not properly working in your room. As a result of your feedback, we are going to make sure and check ever one we have in our guest rooms. Based on the history and location of the hotel, we do have many different room types that offer different experiences. I regret that we were not able to place you in our quieter section of the hotel (interior pool view rooms). More then anything I am so sorry you did not get the rest you deserved. Had we known, I am sure we could have taken some corrective action. It appears you were located on a corner of the hotel that sadly does have a good amount of city life activity. This has been a huge concern for us and something we try tirelessly to address hence the sound conditioners in the rooms.

I was very glad to see that you feel our hotel is beautiful and wish your experience had been so much better. We pride ourselves on customer service and glad to see that you had a fabulous experience in that regard.

Please do not hesitate to contact the hotel directly for future bookings so that we can take steps to place you in a quieter section of the hotel and thank you very much for your feedback.

Lucie