“Omni Historic But … Mediocre”

Omni La Mansion del Rio
Ranked #21 of 358 Hotels in San Antonio
Reviewed 28 January 2014

My overall impression was that the hotel was "well kept", but lacking fundamental amenities like in-room refrigerator (to keep drinks cold) and the room was VERY small for the money. ($260 after taxes.) It was a 5th floor balcony over looking "the city" -- which was actually the city parking garage. No city view. The balcony was shared with two other hotel rooms. (Creepy? Privacy?) I wouldn't stay here again. Staff was friendly and overall appearance of hotel was clean and well kept. But you can't put lipstick on pig. In this case, you can make a boutique from a historic all-boys school. It was no frills then, it's no frills now -- but because it's on the Riverwalk, they charge as if it has frills. We were unimpressed.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Kim G

Reviewed 27 January 2014

We stayed here recently and had a wonderful weekend. The location is perfect, the service is top notch, and the food was fantastic. The only thing I did not love was being at the end of the hall closest to the main road. I love the Spanish style of the hotel, it's actually perfect for San Antonio. The bed was very comfortable.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Sandy A
Reviewed 27 January 2014

We live in the Houston area and San Antonio is always our go-to for quick getaways. We decided to slip away this past weekend when the kiddos were with grandma and couldn't have come home happier. When I booked, through Priceline, the Omni La Mansion Del Rio was one of the first hotels that came up and it had great reviews so I clicked on room options. We are kind of snobby about hotels and are willing to pay for what we get. So I check hotel star rating, guest rating, pictures and price. I was very happy to see high guest ratings, 4 stars and a low price of only $169/night for a king deluxe room. It was only after I booked that I realized it was an Omni hotel. (I obviously only scanned the name of the hotel.)

After we had a freeze in Houston we drove into San Antonio pretty late and easily found the hotel. The valet was quick to get us inside and out of the chilly weather. Just a quick note: as soon as you pull into the hotel at the valet stand, you'll be pretty impressed with everything. It was incredibly beautiful and very clean. We checked in and had a wonderful front desk clerk explain a little history of the hotel, give us a map and draw a detailed route to our room with hours for their on-site bar, restaurant and directions on exits to the Riverwalk that the hotel sits directly on. It was only then that I realized where we were staying. (This stay just got better and better.) If you've ever taken a boat tour of the Riverwalk you pass a gorgeous building that started as St. Mary's Institute, later becoming a law school and then a hotel. The hotel was built in three parts and it's blended beautifully together. The Spanish accents are wonderful, from the lighting and tile, to the doors...everything is great.

So anyway, we make it to our room, which was in the 1990s addition and it was great. There are beams across the ceiling, heavy drapes that easily block all light. The bed was incredible as were the pillows. I was one complaint about the bathroom, but ours was great. Granite counter tops in the bathroom and the vanity area right outside of it. Everything was clean and nothing was peeling or cracked, discolored, etc. Then there are basics: soft robes, nice fluffy towels, etc. The room was very neat and clean, nothing felt crowded or stuffy. The room had double doors that led to a big shared balcony. Which was great. Even though we looked over College Street, it wasn't uncomfortable. Since we got in late there were some trucks that I heard, but nothing that would have woken me up if I had been asleep. The heater did crack/pop a little when it kicked on/off but it wasn't anything that woke us up at night. Our neighbor was a bit noisy with how they opened and shut their door quite a bit. But you couldn't hear any other noise in the hall or from their room. We weren't far from an elevator but didn't hear anything from it.

For the first time ever, we spent more time in our room than in San Antonio and cannot wait to visit the Omni La Mansion Del Rio again.

Also, that valet price seemed high, but they only processed one charge for two nights. So it wasn't that bad at all.

Their sister property was RIGHT across a walkway (the Selena bridge) from the Riverwalk exit of the hotel and they had a restaurant and spa, gym, etc. So it isn't that big of a deal. It's literally a few dozen steps away from the hotel. The exit from the hotel is in a wonderful spot on the Riverwalk. It's just about 2 minutes away from Casa Del Rio and was easy to get to from the Alamo and Rivercenter Mall. You walk right out to so many restaurants, close to the CVS, etc. Oh, and they have a heated pool and a great courtyard.

I definitely think everyone should stay there. We can't wait to take the kids!

Room Tip: You might want to call and talk to someone at the hotel. There are different balconies for different...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 January 2014

We chose the Omni due to its central location and because it looked a little different to other hotels in the area. We were absolutely delighted! Fantastic location, staff and ambience. We were visiting to celebrate my birthday and the staff went above and beyond (a delicious chocolate cake, handwritten card and upgrade to a room with a river view) to make it special for us. Our children were particularly thrilled with the milk and cookies they were treated to every evening! The room was spacious, comfortable and clean and the bathroom well-stocked with fresh towels and toiletries. We parked in the public garage over the road which was convenient and less expensive than at the hotel. Highly recommend and we would return.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 27 January 2014

This is my second stay and I will be back again. It's such a lovely hotel, right on the Riverwalk, with excellent service. Spacious rooms, well equipped bathrooms, and everything is very clean! I'm the type that will make them come in and re-clean if the room is not to my standards, and I've never had to do that at La Mansion. The restaurants provide a great breakfast. I especially like the buffet at Ostra. We booked a package with spa services and had a happy relaxing weekend. The Mokara spa is wonderful, highly recommended! I can't say enough good things about this hotel.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 27 January 2014

The Omni Del Rio is a spectacular place to stay on the River Walk in San Antonio. The staff and the facilities are both marvelous. The price for what we got was also very reasonable. TINY gripes: the workout facilities are not on property and the self-parking price was understated when we originally inquired.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 26 January 2014

This hotel needs a major update - it is small, pretentious and has nothing to write home about. Double beds in DARK room - lighting was terrible - it was one of the ugliest $400/night room I have ever seen.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Omni Hotels & Resorts
Bryan D, Director of Sales at Omni La Mansion del Rio, responded to this reviewResponded 28 January 2014

Please know that we take all comments both good and bad very seriously and strive to correct issues as soon as we are made aware as well as provide the best customer service. We regret that your experience was less than you expected. I also want to note that our property is different, in a good way, from others in San Antonio. We are the historic location of St. Mary’s Catholic School, with the building that houses our lobby being built in 1852. In fact, the hotel is a Hacienda style building, which means we have corridors and courtyards on either side of the parking garage. The hotel is designed to feel like a Spanish hacienda and represents the cultural landscape of San Antonio and the Paseo del Rio better than any other hotel in our city. It also allows us to have beautiful courtyards and the best views of the riverwalk in town. We truly regret that we missed the mark in delivering you an authentic San Antonio experience, and commit that we will continue to work at improving our service and friendliness to achieve our goal of exceeding our guest’s expectations.