“Not what we expected...” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Omni La Mansion del Rio

Omni La Mansion del Rio
Ranked #22 of 353 Hotels in San Antonio
Houston, TX
“Not what we expected...”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 February 2014

Although initially excited to stay on the riverwalk at this hotel, our excitement quickly turned to disappointment upon arrival in our room. The only windows in the room were the french doors that led into the room. The doors opened up to a "courtyard" (since we were on the 5th floor, the "courtyard" was basically the hallway across from us as the actual courtyard was on the main floor) - no view of the city or the riverwalk, truly no view at all.

The room was well appointed and clean but felt extremely confining because of the lack of any windows. It only got worse in the evening with the noise of the other guests. Additionally, the crib they provided for our son creaked every time he moved. It definitely needs to be replaced. We've traveled quite a bit with our son and have never encountered a crib that was so ridiculously noisy. After waking up 4-5 times throughout the night, I found myself hoping that morning would come as quickly as possible.

Last but not least, we asked to sit on the patio (overlooking the riverwalk) for dinner but were told that the patio was "fully committed" even though there were multiple open tables. Granted, some could have been reserved but that did not seem like the case. We ended up eating elsewhere on the riverwalk.

Needless to say, this stay was incredibly disappointing and we won't be returning to the Omni on our next trip to San Antonio.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Nicole8182

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (511)
  • Arabic first
Knoxville, Tennessee
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 February 2014

The Omni was a fabulous place to stay. The staff was very accommodating. The food at the restaurants was excellent. The bartender at the Collegio makes a great strawberry margarita. We had a room overlooking the pool. It was very quiet. I would stay at the Omni again if I come back to Sam Antonio.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple

San Francisco, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 February 2014 via mobile

The main part of the hotel, fronting College St, is on the original site of St Mary's College, which has served the San Antonio community since the 1800s. Historic St. Mary's parish church is sill next door. The Omni has been able to maintain an old San Antonio feel in its appointements and ambiance, while providing modern comfort and amenities.

My room was attractive (brick wall and exposed beams on the ceiling, spacious, and quiet). I cannot say enough good things about the service, from the front desk, to housekeeping, room service, valet and concierge. All staff with whom I engaged seemed genuinely interested in helping me.

The only downside was the view, directly across a narrow street from a multi-story parking structure. While I had opted not to pay the premium for one of the quite modern Riverwalk view rooms, there are many standard rooms with views of lovely courtyards and/or pool. In future, I will either specically request one of those or pay the extra freight for the river.

I know this is a hotel review, but I also have to call positive attention to Las Carnarias restaurant in the hotel (reviewed separately). Of five dinners I had in San Antonio, it was clearly my favorite.

Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Robert D
Hilliard, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 February 2014

Beautiful location, right on Riverwalk! This facility is clean and beautiful. The Staff courteous and ready to help for the most part. Our room was lovely but frankly it was small for the price and the beds are full vs queen so with four in our room it was quite tight. In my opinion, there should be a disclaimer that four to a room is two too many.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business

Austin, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 January 2014

The hotel is elegant and well appointed. I was treated as if I were royalty. One of my favorite destinations. The staff makes you feel as if satisfying your whim is truly their pleasure. Even with all the goings on happening just a few floors below, there was a peaceful silence in the room to make sleeping possible and pleasant.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple

Dublin, OH
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 January 2014

Stayed at the OMNI this weekend in San Antonio. I used the Mokara Spa (worth every penny). I worked out at the gym and it was state of the art, top notch. I ate in two of the restaurants and was very impressed. The staff was friendly, helpful and literally have NOTHING about this experience. I travel a lot and usually find myself at Marriott properties. I will try Omni again based upon this phenomenal experience.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends

Corpus Christi, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 January 2014

This hotel has a great location. Just down the river to the right is the tour boats/river taxi and down the river to the left are some really good places to eat and fun bar scene!

The La Mansion upgraded our room to a Riverwalk room for free and I really appreciated that! The restaurant, Las Canarias makes some wonderful margaritas and has spots on the river that you can sit and have cocktails. The Las Canarias breakfast is absolutely amazing! I highly recommend it. We ordered from the menu and did not do the buffet. It was one of the best meals of our trip!

The room was quite large and the beds were comfy. I loved the history of this hotel and it is my favorite place to stay while in San Antonio.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends