“Nice stay with a hidden mall attached”

San Antonio Marriott Riverwalk
Ranked #42 of 358 Hotels in San Antonio
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 6 November 2013

Very nice location. We walked to everything we wanted to do. We were here for business so we cut thru the Marriott across the street went out the back and crossed the street and arrived at the convention center. About a 5 minute walk. Cross the street or go next door and you can enter the river walk and walk down below by the water for 4 miles or take the little river boats after finding a pick up and ticket point for a ride. If we walk about three blocks down these entrances will take you to a more active part of the river with shops and lines of places to eat and night life. Above ground you can walk a few long blocks and there are cute little shops and eateries. One block down and one block to the right and you can visit the Alamo! Behind the hotels bar is an entrance to entire mall!! Watch out blink and you will miss it from the inside and the outside. Rooms are average but I was thankful they were clean. Staff was kind and requests were met quickly. Would stay here again.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank justjoe2
There are newer reviews for San Antonio Marriott Riverwalk

Reviewed 5 November 2013 via mobile

Loved the location of this hotel to the riverwalk The Alamo The tower of America and the convention center. We had a river view with a balcony Free breakfast. Clean room. The only downside no free wifi or parking. The front desk we very helpful and any questions we had. If ever in San Antonio need to stay there

Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Diva1966
Patrick M, Manager at San Antonio Marriott Riverwalk, responded to this reviewResponded 15 November 2013

Thank you for your very nice review. We look forward to your return visit.

Reviewed 1 November 2013

I spent 4 nights at this hotel, as I was attending a convention. Couldn't have asked for a better location. It was extremely conventient to the convention center and many area attractions. Every staff interaction was excellent, although I did overhear one of the Bellman badmouthing a guest (very unprofessional). The lobby is open and inviting, food is good, having a Starbucks on-site is awesome - My issue was with the guest room. They are in DESPERATE NEED of renovations. Furniture is stained, carpets are filthy, there are random holes in the walls & ceiling, there were gobs of dust/mold on the tiles above the shower and grout is stained. Two of my friends, also staying there, had the exact same feedback.The bed was fairly comfortable, but that's something you can find with most hotel brands these days. I honestly would have stayed a little further from the convention center, for a clean/updated guest room. My friend stayed at the Hilton and her room was SO MUCH nicer - She only had to walk 2-3 minutes to get to the convention center. Overall, this is a decent hotel, with many pluses, but renovations would make it worth the crazy rates that you pay. If I were going back to San Antonio, I'd look at booking the Hilton first.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business

I was so sorry to hear that you were not pleased with your room. You may however, be pleased to know that the hotel will be undergoing a renovation in the coming year. Hotel styles are constantly changing and we will certainly have a more modern product upon completion of the renovation. I hope you will give us the opportunity host you brilliantly. Thank you.

Reviewed 31 October 2013

The check-in process was flawed but not so bad. They had trouble finding my reservation and didn't have a King bad available. I really had no preference about two queen or one king. The room was comfortable and well appointed with a large flat screen TV, lots of outlets and a coffee maker. The lots of outlets thing is very important to me as I need computer and several chargers plugged in. The food was delicious albeit a little pricey. Thw room rate of $159 was well within what a similar pice would be but the finest feature was that it's adjacent to the San Antonio Riverwalk. Wel worth the price of admission. I would be happy to return to this hotel if I am in San Antonio again.

Room Tip: I was in room 1634 very conveniently close to a very noisy ice machine,
1  Thank farcpr
Reviewed 27 October 2013

If you are planning a great trip to San Antonio, Tx, I highly recommend the Marriott San Antonio River walk. It's close to major historic places such as Los Alamos....and of course, I enjoyed the river walk during early evening...it's too hot to walk during the say time. There are plenty choices to select from when it comes to a night out. I enjoyed the local dishes and cold drinks.

Room Tip: The Henry G Gonzalez is just across the street. It's easy to get in and out of the city
1  Thank Mercedes1776
Reviewed 27 October 2013

in the rooms for sure. The lobby looks and feels great and you can't beat the proximityy to some of the bigger downtown and riverwalk attractions. The staff, at all levels, is great and very well trained in the "added experience".

The staff is what moves my rating up from average to very good. The rooms are NOT horrible, but they are slightly dated and worn. However, cleanliness is more important and they get high marks for this. I was pleasantly surprised with the comfort of the bed. I was on a high floor, facing the grand hyatt and freeway which was ok with me. My A/C was quiet, my room was quiet and did i say it was clean?

There is a better starbucks selection across the street at the other Marriott, and a breakfast and lunch diner just a few minutes away called Schilo's. Breakfast and drinks can be a tad on the high side, so venture out and enjoy the town.

For this visit they get a YUM YUM YUM out of 5YUMS

1  Thank yumyumguy
Reviewed 27 October 2013

This was a nice hotel located on the fabulous San Antonio river walk. The maid service was EXCELLENT.

But.... They have low flow toilets. I understand Texas is in the middle of a drought and I applaud their minimization of water use. But the water in the toilet bowl was so low that BM's left streaks which multiple flushings did nothing to eradicate. It was disgusting and very embarrassing when you're sharing a room with friends. And NO toilet brush! Are we supposed to call for housekeeping to clean the toilets every time we have a BM??

Also, once the toilet got clogged. One of my roomies got it unclogged by removing a wad if TP, BUT NO way I would have done that.

So beware. I suspect the rest of TX has toilets like this. Go someplace it rains a lot and where they have real toilets.

Room Tip: Pick a place that does not have low flow toilets
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends