“Good Location”

Ranked #43 of 354 Hotels in San Antonio
Des Moines, Iowa
“Good Location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 February 2014

My husband and I visited San Antonio in January and stayed at the Marriott. It's important to note that there are the Riverwalk and Rivercenter hotels, which are across the street from each other. The Rivercenter is connected to the small mall. Both appear to be nice properties. As others have mentioned, the Riverwalk is due for a slight upgrade, but overall it was nice and the people were friendly. Service in the restaurant was very good, although beware that the breakfast buffet is a little expensive ($24.99US). It's a good buffet, but if cost is an issue you may want to walk to the Denny's nearby. There is also a Starbucks in the hotel which is super convenient and a nice bar area overlooking the river walk. Another plus - the bed was quite comfortable. I would definitely return to this hotel if I were back in the area.

Room Tip: Ask for one of the higher floors to avoid traffic noise.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (375)
Decatur, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 February 2014

Excellent breakfast buffet. Very friendly & helpful staff. Close to the Riverwalk and other tourist sites. Very good meal prepared for our bus tour with private accommodations, waiters and food were excellent. Rooms nice with balconies.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
Patrick M, Manager at San Antonio Marriott Riverwalk, responded to this review, 19 February 2014
Dear Karel W,
Thank you for your post. I’m pleased you enjoyed your stay. Our great staff and great location is an unbeatable pair. Thank you again and please come again soon.
Danbury, Connecticut, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 February 2014 via mobile

I had a really nice experience at this hotel. During check in the staff was extremely welcoming. When I thought I left my eyeglasses at the reception desk, they went out of their way to try to help me find them. And when the eyeglasses ended up being with me, they were gracious and happy that I found them instead of annoyed that I called and asked them to look for them. These little gestures mean a lot. The room was clean and the bed and pillows fantastic, as I expect from a Marriott Hotel. The location is ideal, right next to the Riverwalk in San Antonio.

Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Patrick M, Manager at San Antonio Marriott Riverwalk, responded to this review, 13 February 2014
Thank you so much for your post. I’m happy to know all turned out well with your eyeglasses. I know I’d be lost without mine! I hope we have another opportunity to host you brilliantly in the near future.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 February 2014

The proximity to the Riverwalk and the convention center made this a convenient property. A bit narrow and tight, I found the ambiance less than welcoming. However, i enjoyed the Starbucks in the lobby and service in the bar was great. Even though my room had a great view, I was sorely disappointed in the lighting of the room and the smaller, cramped feeling of the bathroom.

Room Tip: Ask for a Riverwalk view
1 Thank Jill C
Jacksonville, Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 January 2014

First, the good...this hotel is extremely convenient if you are doing something at the convention center or want to go to the tower. There is good RiverWalk access, but its at the far end - so whatever you want to go to will probably be a bit of a walk. There is a Starbucks in the lobby.

According to the management response to previous reviews this location is due for renovation this year (2014). I would say that's pretty obvious. The room is clean, but obviously worn and dated - popcorn ceilings in the bedroom area, dropped panel ceiling in the bathroom, dingy and cracked beige outlet and switch covers. The mattress is firm and very comfortable. Towels are clean but dingy and old.

Negatives: I travel with my husband, who is disabled. We have been Marriott Platinum Elite rewards members for several years, meaning we spend at least 75 nights per year in a Marriott property. This property does not have any handicap access rooms on the River Walk side of the hotel (same story at the Courtyard on the River Walk...it seems that many Marriott franchise owners don't think disabled people want a nice view). At check in, the accessible room with roll-in shower that I had requested was not available (I'm not sure they even exist). The room itself is large enough for someone in a wheelchair and the hotel did provide a transfer bench (although I'm not sure how it would have fit in the tub if we needed to use it). Our room did have a hand sprayer in the shower, although according to the front desk clerk not all of the ADA rooms have a hand sprayer and they don't know which rooms do and which rooms don't.

I have a gluten allergy. When I asked the hostess at the hotel restaurant, Cactus Flower, about gluten free options she was pretty oblivious and didn't seem interested in helping me. I asked specifically about the chili, which she said was house-made. She said she didn't think it was gluten free. I requested that she ask the chef...usually at this point a sous chef or chef will come out and speak to me. She went around a corner and a minute or so later came back and said the chili was not gluten free. She did not offer any other recommendations or suggestions. I thought that Marriott was making an effort to educate their restaurant staff regarding gluten allergies and offer more gluten free options, but I guess that hasn't happened at this property yet.

I needed to print a document, so I went to the concierge lounge around 11:30. There is no attendant between 11 and 5. The printer was completely out of ink, so I called the front desk to request ink. The front desk clerks recommendation was to wait until the attendant returned at 5pm or to go to the UPS Store on the 7th floor. I asked if there would be a charge to print and she said no. So I headed down to the UPS Store. Its next to the fitness center and the currently under construction pool. Apparently they were applying some kind of epoxy in the pool area because there was an overwhelming smell as soon as I stepped off the elevator. I don't know how anyone could have used the the fitness facility, spent any time in the UPS Store or tolerated being in the rooms closest to the pool. There WAS a charge to print my document at the UPS Store, so I elected to wait for the attendant in the concierge lounge.

If I have to return to San Antonio for a function at the convention center, I think next time I will either stay at the Marriott River Center - which is across the street and obviously newer - or the Westin four blocks down that has high ratings for gluten free options

Room Tip: I think the rooms on the River Walk side are probably quieter. Lots of road noise in our room, even...
Green Features: I don't think they have any environmentally friendly practices. I didn't see anywhere to put plastic water bottles for recycling or anything like that.
1 Thank AndieTravels
Patrick M, Manager at San Antonio Marriott Riverwalk, responded to this review, 30 January 2014
Thank you for your feedback and thank you for your loyalty to Marriott. As a Platinum Elite Member of Marriott Rewards, you’ve come to expect the very best from the very best. I’m sorry we failed you on so many different levels. We try very hard to accommodate all our guests requests, I apologize we didn’t have a room with a roll in shower available for you as they were all occupied. As you mentioned, the hotel will undergo a rooms renovation in 2014, and as you also mentioned the work on the pool has already begun; I’m very sorry for the inconvenience this caused you. I was disappointed to hear of your experience in the Cactus Flower, we do offer gluten free options and the server should have been able to discuss those options with you. Rest assured we will use this as an opportunity to provide further training to our staff. Thank you for your time.
knoxville, tn
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 January 2014

Traveling for business I stayed at the Marriott Riverwalk. This hotel was very convenient to the convention center (right across the street). We had a 5 minute walk each day. Also convenient to shopping as there is a mall across the street as well. The riverwalk tour boats entrance was located just steps away from our hotel. The rooms were clean, bed was comfortable. Starbucks is located in the lobby and they have a nice bar area with lots of televisions and seating. The service was very good as well.

Room Tip: Corner king room is away from hallway noise however there was a service elevator just outside my doo...
Green Features: They did participate in "green" it was a welcome change.
1 Thank kmacw3kids
Patrick M, Manager at San Antonio Marriott Riverwalk, responded to this review, 27 January 2014
Thank you for your lovely review. I'm happy to know you enjoyed your stay. You are correct, the hotel is conveniently located to almost anything, whether you're here to attend a convention or just take in the sights and sounds. Thank you again for your review.
Etters, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 January 2014

We stayed in a river view room 18th floor and enjoyed the balcony. The room was comfortable but some furniture looked a little worn out. The staff was very helpful and polite. We actually requested we be moved from a room beside the elevator to a quieter area which was done with no problem. We spent the weekend in the Henry B Gonzalez convention center that is directly across the street. The hotel is in the perfect location to explore the river walk, the Alamo, downtown and there is a mall on the other side of the street. We were traveling with teens there for a competition and found multiple places to eat along the river walk and loved the boat ride.

Room Tip: I always choose the end of the hallway away from the elevator if possible. We had a balcony over lo...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with family