“Nice, huge convention hotel, great locale, but dated”

San Antonio Marriott Riverwalk
Ranked #38 of 358 Hotels in San Antonio
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 23 May 2014

This is a great location for a hotel. It's right on the Riverwalk, right next to a mall (however crappy, but it does have a Starbucks and a food court with the weirdest "IHOP to Go") and a walk to the Alamo and the other main sights of downtown. The staff does it well, they manage to service the convention business and all the families that go there, too. There isn't anything fun or wow about it though. My only real negative was we were right next to the ice machine that is as loud at a jet engine and runs most of the night due to families taking all the ice during the day.

Reviewed 23 May 2014

The location of this hotel can't be beat if you are looking to stay in the heart of the River Walk. You can walk to some of San Antonio's major attractions and there is plenty of restaurants to choose from…but you will have to fight the tourist crowds. Be warned that the rooms facing the river walk can be noisy due to the festivities. The hotel is also showing some wear but it is still a nice place to stay.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Patrick M, Guest Relations Manager at San Antonio Marriott Riverwalk, responded to this reviewResponded 24 May 2014

Dear caribbeandreams -
Thank you for staying with us. We would agree we have a great location and consider it the best on the Riverwalk. You will be happy to know we will be undergoing a rooms renovation this fall. We hope to have you back then to give us another try.

Reviewed 21 May 2014

I recently stayed at the Marriott riverwalk while attending a conference. The staff at the front desk was polite and checkin was quick. My room looked to be very clean but it had experienced some wear. Everything was clean and worked but it just looked a little tired. The bed was confortable and I slept well. During a break, I wanted to look around and the concierge was very helpful. The hotel is right on the riverwalk and only about a block from the Alamo. You couldn't pick a better location for a hotel.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Patrick M, Guest Relations Manager at San Antonio Marriott Riverwalk, responded to this reviewResponded 22 May 2014

Dear TooOldtoRun,
Thank you for taking the time to rate our hotel. I’m pleased to know you were well taken care of by our wonderful staff. You will be pleased to know we are scheduled to begin our rooms renovation this Fall. I hope you will be able to return once the renovation is complete and let me know what you think. Thank you again.

Reviewed 21 May 2014 via mobile

Good - The hotel is a nice Marriott. Rooms are clean and staff was very friendly. OK - Rooms do not have power outlets at bedside table for phone charging. How can a modern hotel not provide this? The vanity was way too low..and I am not particularly tall. Otherwise room was adequate. Stink - this hotel uses those scent machines all over. The whole place...especially restrooms...has a nauseating level of air freshener being sprayed continuously. Spending time in any public area was impossible. I hope they reconsider this. I always preferred Marriott because of their non smoking policy. This scent assault is almost as bad.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Jane A

Dear Jane A,
Thank you for taking the time to provide your valuable feedback. Whenever we receive a review that indicates an opportunity to improve, rest assured your comments are taken very seriously because our goal is deliver the best hotel experience possible to all our guests. Thank you again for your review.

Reviewed 21 May 2014

The staff at this hotel, as always for a Marriott, was excellent. However, I agree with other reviews here that the interior is desperately in need of a makeover. Rugs worn out, fabrics on furniture very faded. Terrible hair dryer, no fridge in the room. On the upside, nice balcony overlooking the Riverwalk and the bed was comfortable. The Alamo Ballroom was freezing cold and the water bottles set out for refreshment were not even cool.

Room Tip: Room with a balcony overlooking the Riverwalk is a bonus.

Dear PaminLancasterPA,
Thank you for posting your review of your recent stay. I’m sorry for the shortcomings you experienced during your visit. We appreciate all comments that give us the opportunity to make improvements. The big improvement we will be undertaking this year is a complete rooms renovation. This renovation will give all our guest rooms a sleeker, more modern look. We look forward to a return visit after the renovation. All the best,

Reviewed 21 May 2014 via mobile

Very clean rooms due to our great cleaner Diane. Even offered to bring me soup because I had a bad cold. On River walk so easy access to everything you need downtown. I would stay here again. Recommend to families as well even though this trip was without the kids.

• Stayed: May 2014
Reviewed 21 May 2014

The beds are awesome, the room temperature is great, check in is a breeze. The reason I rate it only 3 is the pool, the shower is horrible and not to mention the coffee. The pool is mostly inside and only 3 feet. The shower , I have no clue who designed that knob , but you have to fight it to get a decent temperature. Don't even bother to brew their room coffee. Oh and you have to wait forever for an elevator. For such a big luxury style building, you would think you should get more for your buck.

On the positive, I left my mini pad behind. When I realized I left it in the drawer of the room, I called the front office, they had a lost and found officer check the room and sure enough it was there. Good thing I was just in another town. I asked them to hold it for me and they obliged. I needed my ID to show when I picked up my ipad. So its got its ups and downs due to this experience. The 3 negatives out weigh this one positive.

Room Tip: For the money you pay, you do not have good amentities. The showers are so small, the pool is so sma...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family

Dear Babyruthi,
Thank you for taking the time to post your review of the hotel. I’m sorry to know you were so disappointed with your stay. It sounds like the bright spot was the safe return of your ipad which was accidently left behind. We will take note regarding the comments regarding the coffee for it is only through comments like yours that allow us to make improvements. Thank you again for your time.