“Lovely hotel close to everything”

San Antonio Marriott Riverwalk
Ranked #43 of 356 Hotels in San Antonio
GreenLeadersSilver level
Fairbanks, Alaska
“Lovely hotel close to everything”
Reviewed 29 July 2014 via mobile

I always love the marriott, they are always beautiful, friendly hotels and this one was great. The staff was warm and friendly. The rooms were nice and clean but a little on the older side. The toilet seat was very crooked and I had no hot water the first night. Other than that it is close to everything thing you want to see.

Stayed May 2014, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (396)
New Providence, New Jersey
Reviewed 29 July 2014

I recently stayed here in late July for a convention. Hotel is conveniently located; staff is pretty nice. Rooms seemed a little shopworn (grout in bathroom tile looked suspiciously dark). The rugs and furniture seemed a little "lived in." However the bed was nice and my sleep quality was terrific. I hear they are renovating the rooms soon; they really need it. My balcony overlooked the River but it was so crummy on the balcony I just never ventured out. Overall, I would only stay here again if it was for business and my company was paying.

1 Thank JenEndyB
Patrick M, Guest Relations Manager at San Antonio Marriott Riverwalk, responded to this review, 30 July 2014
Dear JenEndyB,
I’m sorry to hear you didn’t feel comfortable venturing out to the balcony. Our balcony rooms are very popular and often requested. We are anxiously awaiting our rooms renovation to begin for a brand new look. If business or pleasure bring you back to San Antonio after the renovation is complete, I hope you will stay with us again; I’d like to know what you think of our new rooms.
vancouver
Reviewed 28 July 2014

This hotel is massive, yet the charm of the individuals working here make it seem more cozy. Located right on the Riverwalk you can pick up a boat shuttle here or simply walk along the promenade. I had an early morning flight and the airport was surprisingly close as well. Rooms were beautifully appointed and resemble the traditional Marriott brand. Our meals in the restaurant were lovely. This is a great place to stay.

Room Tip: I was in an upper floor room facing away from the Riverwalk. The upper floors offer stunning views...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 25 July 2014

Stayed here four nights for a convention. 15 minute cab ride from the airport. Check in was very quick and efficient. Room was clean, relatively spacious and appointed with desk, chair, TV, king bed, coffee maker, and multiple outlets for computers and electronics. Bed, pillows, and linens were comfortable, noise level n the room pretty low, although I was in a room next to the elevators and could occasionally hear conversations outside my door. (23rd floor)

The bathroom was tiny. Extremely low sink (I'm only 5' 6" tall, and sink reached my upper thighs, so tall people might find it very uncomfortable), low toilet that the door opened into so you can't sit on it with the door open, and a bathtub that is child-sized. Again, at 5' 6", I had to sit upright in the bathtub and my feet were against the opposite wall. Bath amenities were nice, as were the towels. Room could use updated carpet and furniture, but all were perfectly adequate for a business trip. Wouldn't recommend for a romantic getaway, etc. My view was atrocious, but I only looked out the window once, so who cares.

The location is convenient, opposite the street to the mall and the River Center Marriott, which is only a crosswalk away. The Alamo is approx. 1/2 mile away, within walking distance, and a host of restaurants, including Italian, Mexican, and Argentinian, are right outside the hotel.

Service in the bar and restaurant were friendly and competent, if a tad slow, and unpolished. (If you're from LA or New York, you will be frustrated. Enough said.) During conventions, the hotel is packed, so expect a slight delay. I ordered room service twice, both times it came within 30 minutes, and was exactly what I ordered. Food was very good and servers were pleasant. I had to call three times before they took away the plates when I was finished, but again, it's during a convention, and they were busy.

If you're considering staying here or the adjacent River Center Marriott, I can say that I preferred the RiverWalk, primarily due to the lesser crowds. The River Center is ginormous, swarming with people, and a little overwhelming. If you don't mind a four minute walk across the street, stay at the River Walk.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Patrick M, Guest Relations Manager at San Antonio Marriott Riverwalk, responded to this review, 27 July 2014
Dear mongolikescandy -

Thank you for sharing your experience. We are excited our guest room renovation will address some of the challenges you shared in our bathrooms. We have great people working in our hotel and we will work on that service polish to ensure we are meeting expectations. Hope to see you back soon.
Lewisville
Reviewed 22 July 2014

We did not stay here, so I cannot review the actual hotel rooms & service. We did attend a conference here and loved the feel of it. The hotel staff were very attentive to our needs and had the different ballrooms transformed into breakout sessions within minutes. Very impressed; they were definitely organized. There is a an actual Starbucks inside (not a coffee bar that just serves Starbucks coffee). Their baristas were great (just wished this Starbucks stayed open a little later).

The access to the River Walk, the mall, many, many restaurants and the Alamo from this hotel is outstanding.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Patrick M, Guest Relations Manager at San Antonio Marriott Riverwalk, responded to this review, 24 July 2014
Dear Cjander,
We appreciate the comments regarding our very organized, attentive staff. We hope to have you as our guest the next time business or pleasure brings you back to San Antonio. Thank you again.
Austin, Texas
Reviewed 20 July 2014

My colleagues and I stayed three nights in this hotel for an education conference. The hotel is a little older but is clean and has great customer service from the front desk to the restaurant. It is a short walk across the street to the convention center. The hotel is connected to the Rivercenter mall and the Riverwalk and the Alamo are right around the corner.

I had no issues with noise, but my other friends on the 14th floor complained about the walls being thin and being able to hear people in the room next door as well as people in the hallway. There is a nice workout room, and there is a pool, but it is pretty small.

Parking is expensive ($25 per day for self-parking in the garage and $35 for valet parking), but I think this is in line with all of the hotels in the area. You can get a break on the parking price if you are a Marriott Rewards card hold depending upon your level. The bathrooms are small, and none of our rooms had a refrigerator. I was disappointed that internet access in the rooms cost $12.95 a day. There is free internet in the lobby, but it doesn't make it very convenient when you are on the 16th floor like we were. For the price of the rooms, free internet should be provided.

There is a Starbucks in the lobby, and the restaurant in the hotel has good if expensive food. Then again, everything along the Riverwalk is expensive.

Overall, I had a positive experience during my stay.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Patrick M, Guest Relations Manager at San Antonio Marriott Riverwalk, responded to this review, 21 July 2014
Dear jguerin77,
We appreciate you letting us know of your positive experience. Thank you for letting me know of the great service you received throughout the hotel. We have a very caring staff who takes great pleasure in providing the best service! We hope you stay with us again soon.
Torrington, Wyoming
Reviewed 18 July 2014

The Marriott Riverwalk is very close to to Convention Center and to the Mall. It is on one end of the Riverwalk with easy access. The elevators are very slow and the pool is nothing to talk about. But everyone is super helpful and pleasant to talk to. The drinks are expensive but they always are in a hotel. The room was average but quiet enough that I could sleep. With 3 teen girls in a room I can't complain about the housekeeping, lol. Overall a good visit!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Patrick M, Guest Relations Manager at San Antonio Marriott Riverwalk, responded to this review, 20 July 2014
Dear Wyofarmer,
Sounds like you made the most of traveling with three teen girls! Our location is unbeatable, as you discovered. I'm glad you had a good visit, and appreciate you letting us know of the good service you received. Please come again soon.