“Older hotel, nice location, slow elevator”

San Antonio Marriott Riverwalk
Ranked #43 of 358 Hotels in San Antonio
GreenLeadersSilver level
Texas
“Older hotel, nice location, slow elevator”
Reviewed 4 August 2014

We stayed here for a weekend trip to riverwalk. The location is very nice, close to everything around the riverwalk. Parking is probably a common disadvantage for a properties around this area, so you may need to look around for cheaper self parking locations.

The hotel staff was friendly, helped us find a room facing riverwalk. It gets noisy at night, but we enjoyed the view.

Tripadvisor says this hotel has free-wifi. When we stay there it was only free at the lobby. In-room wifi was priced around 11 bucks.

We can tell it's an older but generally well-kept hotel. The elevator took forever to come to your floor if you are going down. We always ended up taking elevators going up and wait until it goes back down to the lobby.

As long as the rate is right, we will stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (399)
Reviewed 3 August 2014

Spent 5 nights at the Marriott Riverwalk hotel for a recent conference. Hotel staff was very friendly and helpful from valets to bell service. We had a room overlooking the river walk. The rooms however are in need of a redo. The carpet was very worn - furnishings were cumbersome - closet was small. The desk in the room was arranged so that if one person was using the desk, you could not walk between the desk and the bed, so we did some rearranging as this got annoying very quickly. The bed linens were nice but the pillows were all super soft so I needed to use 3 of them to get the height of one good pillow. Since the sister hotel - Marriott RiverCenter is right across the street and was the site of most of the conference activity - I would think Marriott would find a way to connect these two hotels so you did not have to go outside to get from one building to the other. Location is super convenient with direct access to the river walk.

Room Tip: Get a room on an upper floor as street noise can be loud.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Patrick M, Guest Relations Manager at San Antonio Marriott Riverwalk, responded to this review, 4 August 2014
Dear KarenMat117
Thank you for sharing your experience and comments regarding the staff. We take great pride ensuring our guests are provided with the best hotel experience possible. We are excited our upcoming rooms renovation scheduled to begin in September will address some of the challenges you shared. When your travels bring you back to our area following our renovation, I hope you will stay with us again; I’d like to know what you think of our new rooms.
Fairbanks, Alaska
Reviewed 29 July 2014 via mobile

I always love the marriott, they are always beautiful, friendly hotels and this one was great. The staff was warm and friendly. The rooms were nice and clean but a little on the older side. The toilet seat was very crooked and I had no hot water the first night. Other than that it is close to everything thing you want to see.

Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
New Providence, New Jersey
Reviewed 29 July 2014

I recently stayed here in late July for a convention. Hotel is conveniently located; staff is pretty nice. Rooms seemed a little shopworn (grout in bathroom tile looked suspiciously dark). The rugs and furniture seemed a little "lived in." However the bed was nice and my sleep quality was terrific. I hear they are renovating the rooms soon; they really need it. My balcony overlooked the River but it was so crummy on the balcony I just never ventured out. Overall, I would only stay here again if it was for business and my company was paying.

1 Thank JenEndyB
Patrick M, Guest Relations Manager at San Antonio Marriott Riverwalk, responded to this review, 30 July 2014
Dear JenEndyB,
I’m sorry to hear you didn’t feel comfortable venturing out to the balcony. Our balcony rooms are very popular and often requested. We are anxiously awaiting our rooms renovation to begin for a brand new look. If business or pleasure bring you back to San Antonio after the renovation is complete, I hope you will stay with us again; I’d like to know what you think of our new rooms.
vancouver
Reviewed 28 July 2014

This hotel is massive, yet the charm of the individuals working here make it seem more cozy. Located right on the Riverwalk you can pick up a boat shuttle here or simply walk along the promenade. I had an early morning flight and the airport was surprisingly close as well. Rooms were beautifully appointed and resemble the traditional Marriott brand. Our meals in the restaurant were lovely. This is a great place to stay.

Room Tip: I was in an upper floor room facing away from the Riverwalk. The upper floors offer stunning views...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 25 July 2014

Stayed here four nights for a convention. 15 minute cab ride from the airport. Check in was very quick and efficient. Room was clean, relatively spacious and appointed with desk, chair, TV, king bed, coffee maker, and multiple outlets for computers and electronics. Bed, pillows, and linens were comfortable, noise level n the room pretty low, although I was in a room next to the elevators and could occasionally hear conversations outside my door. (23rd floor)

The bathroom was tiny. Extremely low sink (I'm only 5' 6" tall, and sink reached my upper thighs, so tall people might find it very uncomfortable), low toilet that the door opened into so you can't sit on it with the door open, and a bathtub that is child-sized. Again, at 5' 6", I had to sit upright in the bathtub and my feet were against the opposite wall. Bath amenities were nice, as were the towels. Room could use updated carpet and furniture, but all were perfectly adequate for a business trip. Wouldn't recommend for a romantic getaway, etc. My view was atrocious, but I only looked out the window once, so who cares.

The location is convenient, opposite the street to the mall and the River Center Marriott, which is only a crosswalk away. The Alamo is approx. 1/2 mile away, within walking distance, and a host of restaurants, including Italian, Mexican, and Argentinian, are right outside the hotel.

Service in the bar and restaurant were friendly and competent, if a tad slow, and unpolished. (If you're from LA or New York, you will be frustrated. Enough said.) During conventions, the hotel is packed, so expect a slight delay. I ordered room service twice, both times it came within 30 minutes, and was exactly what I ordered. Food was very good and servers were pleasant. I had to call three times before they took away the plates when I was finished, but again, it's during a convention, and they were busy.

If you're considering staying here or the adjacent River Center Marriott, I can say that I preferred the RiverWalk, primarily due to the lesser crowds. The River Center is ginormous, swarming with people, and a little overwhelming. If you don't mind a four minute walk across the street, stay at the River Walk.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Patrick M, Guest Relations Manager at San Antonio Marriott Riverwalk, responded to this review, 27 July 2014
Dear mongolikescandy -

Thank you for sharing your experience. We are excited our guest room renovation will address some of the challenges you shared in our bathrooms. We have great people working in our hotel and we will work on that service polish to ensure we are meeting expectations. Hope to see you back soon.
Lewisville
Reviewed 22 July 2014

We did not stay here, so I cannot review the actual hotel rooms & service. We did attend a conference here and loved the feel of it. The hotel staff were very attentive to our needs and had the different ballrooms transformed into breakout sessions within minutes. Very impressed; they were definitely organized. There is a an actual Starbucks inside (not a coffee bar that just serves Starbucks coffee). Their baristas were great (just wished this Starbucks stayed open a little later).

The access to the River Walk, the mall, many, many restaurants and the Alamo from this hotel is outstanding.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Patrick M, Guest Relations Manager at San Antonio Marriott Riverwalk, responded to this review, 24 July 2014
Dear Cjander,
We appreciate the comments regarding our very organized, attentive staff. We hope to have you as our guest the next time business or pleasure brings you back to San Antonio. Thank you again.