“Acceptable accommodation for a few days”

San Antonio Marriott Rivercenter
Ranked #40 of 355 Hotels in San Antonio
Bethesda, Maryland
“Acceptable accommodation for a few days”
Reviewed 20 November 2013

Stayed for a meeting at the convention center. Located next to the Marriott Riverside. Excellent location, next to the fake river and a shopping mall, and across the street from the convention center. A short walk to Alamo. Nice lobby and lobby bar, Starbucks, etc. This is a notch below and probably cheaper than the sister hotel Marriott Riverside across the street. The rooms are a little worn out, and not as nice as the Riverside. The 24 hour card access gym is much smaller than the Riverside but OK, as long as it is not too crowded. TVs on the tread mills and elliptical machines that are not the newest models. Towels and water available. Did not look at the pool.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (357)
Statham, GA
Reviewed 15 November 2013 via mobile

Location only earns this hotel's ranking..the room prices are off the chain even with convention pricing. The hotel is old and needs a pressure washing. The rooms are only available from floor 25 and up. The view is good but the guest rooms are small, no refrigerator, no free internet. Parking is $25 per day and internet $9.95 daily. Even Marriott Elite status didn't help here. The flat screen tv is the only modern amenity but when you turned it to one side it shorted out. I really wanted to leave and book elsewhere but I decided to make the best of it considering its ideal location. There are several small businesses inside like a FedEx shipping station and a Starbucks which make it convenient to the business traveler. We didn't check out the pool or workout area on the 4th floor nor did we try the restaurant or room service. We were so blown away by the room rate that we didn't feel comfortable spending any more money here. Definitely not a 4 in review..my 3 was barely earned. Do your homework. Walk a little.. This ain't it.

Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Wichita Falls, Texas
Reviewed 14 November 2013

My husband, one year old daughter and I spent three nights at the Rivercenter. He was in a conference at the hotel for 9 hours on Saturday and the hotel's location was perfect for the baby and I to go exploring. It's attached to the Rivercenter Mall and the riverwalk area is right out the back door. Just around the corner is the Alamo. People said we wouldn't need our car all weekend and they were right.

Our room was very clean and the housekeeping staff were very helpful when we did need something. We asked in advance for a room higher up with a great view and for a crib to be in the room. All of these requests were met.

Room Tip: If you get a room facing the riverwalk, expect some noise later into the evening. We paid extra fo...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
Patrick M, Manager at San Antonio Marriott Rivercenter, responded to this review, 22 November 2013
Thank you very much for your lovely review. I’m happy to know you and your daughter had good time exploring our very walkable city. We have a top-notch staff and I’m so glad we took great care of you. Please come again soon.
Reviewed 14 November 2013 via mobile

I would have given this hotel 4 stars, but on my last day, someone checked into the room next door. I was able to hear everything my neighbor said and did. The tv, which I don't think was excessively loud, was loud enough to hear in my room and kept me awake all night.

Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Pinetop-Lakeside, Arizona
Reviewed 13 November 2013

I was warned that the rooms would be small, which they are, and that didn't bother me, but the lack of amenities did. Expect a hair dryer, an iron and ironing board, and a small safe. That's it. Oh, and a $3.50 bottle of water. On my way home, I stayed at a "motel" that cost $90 a night, including taxes, (against the Rivercenter's $265) and has it beat hands down. The staff is terrific (handling 1400+ conference-goers as well as their usual guests with alacrity and aplomb) and the location is good -- right on the Riverwalk (or a spur of it, at least). But a little research will surely get you better value.

1 Thank HappyCamper31264
Stockholm, Sweden
Reviewed 13 November 2013

There were many good things about the hotel (friendy helpful staff and its location among other things).
The hotel breakfast was poor - I've had some much better hotel breakfasts in the US, both as far as quality and range of choice was concerned. The coffee was weak.
The in-house Starbucks closed too early in the day (6 pm).
A major irritant was the Internet, where I couldn't find any alternative to payment by the day (cumbersome to have to repeat the producure every day for three devices). Why don't they include Internet in the overall price - it would make things so much simpler.
The room was spacious, comfortable. and clean but the windows were dirty.

Some administrative routines were poor - I didn't receive the requested copy of the bills.
The hotel wasn't that easy to contact either. I had to ring back the first time and couldn't find an e-mail address where I could send a message.
Overall, a good quality hotel but perhaps a bit complacent - distinct absence of the "Wow" factor.

Houston, TX
Reviewed 2 November 2013

Every now and then I have a hotel experience that blows me away. This place was it. I expected a big, impersonal convention hotel. While the hotel is large and busy, from the valet, to the front desk, to housekeeping, everyone was friendly, warm, efficient and welcoming. The moment we got out of the car, the valet charmed us with a huge smile and a warm welcome, and everyone we encountered from that moment on was the same way.

We used mobile check in, and it was unbelievably fast. I figured since we were staying on points, we would be assigned a small room next to the elevator, but we were actually upgraded. Our room was quiet, incredibly appointed and great. The fitness center had the size and diversity of a full scale gym. No waiting for a machine here!! The location is right on the Riverwalk and an easy walk to everything. Of course, the Italian restaurant at the hotel is amazing, so staying isn't a bad option. The bar is great too. I stay in San Antonio from time to time and have always avoided this place because I wanted something more intimate and charming. Never again. This place has everything. Superb location. Excellent staff. Great rooms. Great fitness center. I wish we had stayed longer!!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple