“Very nice Marriott property with a great location”

San Antonio Marriott Rivercenter
Ranked #40 of 356 Hotels in San Antonio
GreenLeadersBronze level
Dallas, Texas
“Very nice Marriott property with a great location”
Reviewed 4 December 2013

The hotel itself is a solid Marriott property. It's built for large amounts of people, as there are always conventions happening with hundreds of out of town guests coming and going and socializing all over the hotel.

When we checked in, I was offered a complimentary room upgrade - thanks to my Marriott Gold status - and the suite they bumped us into was very nice. We had an excellent view of the Riverwalk area, and could see the Alamo from our room easily.

The best feature of the Marriott Rivercenter, however, is the fact that it is right on the Riverwalk. You walk out of the hotel, down some stairs, and you are immediately walking along the San Antonio River. Excellent restaurants like Casa Rio or Boudro's are less than a 5-10 minute walk away from the hotel. Overall a very solid stay at a nice Marriott property.

The only negative, for me, was the fact that they closed the Club lounge on the weekends. I don't really understand that idea.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
Patrick M, Manager at San Antonio Marriott Rivercenter, responded to this review, 6 December 2013
Thank you for being a member of Marriott’s reward program, we appreciate your loyalty. The Marriott Rivercenter is ideally located on the famous River Walk, and this time of year, is especially beautiful with so many twinkling lights all along the banks of the River Walk. I’m glad to know you enjoyed your stay at the Marriott Rivercenter, we hope to have the pleasure of hosting you again soon.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (361)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 December 2013

Had an amazing trip to San Antonio. The hotel was very good, the valet team were first class, and gave great assistance to their UK visitors with directions and reminders if which side of road to ride on. Check in was ok however, platinum arrival gift was forgotten by both parties, when I remembered, they issued both points and beverage voucher, so very happy. Room was on high floor with stunning views, weather was good, so could see for miles, best part of hotel for me. The rooftop open air pool was also a bonus in the hot weather. Breakfast in the lounge was also sufficient, nothing special but did the job. Location is fantastic, with direct hotel entry to Riverwalk and also the Rivercenter Mall. Would definitely stay again, and recommend to all for their San Antonio visits. (The hotel bar was also excellent, with massive margaritas)

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
Thank you for your review and your recommendation. Please accept my apologies regarding the platinum arrival gift but am happy to know we were able to rectify it to your satisfaction, thank you for being gracious. I will be sure to pass along your comments regarding the great service you received from our valet team. We look forward to hosting you again soon.
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 2 December 2013

We stayed here for a conference in November. The meeting rooms and meals, both for small groups and for the large plenary groups were exceptionally good for such events.

The staff was very friendly and helpful, much better than most.

A few days before the conference we did some vacation days a block away at the Hyatt Regency. It was not nearly as good as the Marriott River Center.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Thank you for taking the time to let everyone know how pleased you were with the service and the meals at the conference you attended. Our staff indeed is very friendly and very eager to be of service. And, as you discovered, the Marriott Rivercenter is the place to stay!
Reviewed 27 November 2013 via mobile

This is a nice hotel. Hotel is right on Riverwalk and adjacent to a shopping mall. Convenient, easy to get on freeway, close to many activities, restaurants, etc. Room was very clean, room service was quick, everyone was very pleasant. It was a little noisy at night, but that's to be expected in a downtown area. The bread pudding is amazing!

Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Heather G
Fulda, Minnesota
Reviewed 27 November 2013

We were at Rivercenter for a 3 day conference. The rooms were very clean and comfortable. EVERY employee greeted you with a smile, a kind word, and offered to help and answer any questions. The conference facilities were clean, the sound and video equipment worked very well, and the food was tasty and served on time. There were nearly 700 people in attendance and the service was outstanding!!!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Patrick M, Manager at San Antonio Marriott Rivercenter, responded to this review, 19 December 2013
Thank you for letting everyone know how successful the conference was. Our staff is extremely adept at handling groups of all sizes, I’m glad you got to experience their expertise. I hope future convention plans will bring you back to the Marriott Rivercenter many more times.
Overland Park
Reviewed 27 November 2013

Can't beat the location. Just returned from a visit to the Riverwalk. Enjoyed decent weather seeing the beautiful sights along the Riverwalk. Not crowded because we were there during the week. Then, weather turned cold and wet. So nice to shop and go to IMAX in Rivercenter Mall without going outside. We did, however, walk four blocks to Schilo's Delicatessen, a San Antonio institution, for breakfast and lunch. Holiday decorations in Rivercenter enhanced the holiday spirit. Disappointed Marriott didn't have any tree or decorations as it did 15 years ago when we stayed there. We were told it was because of the cost. The star shaped -hedrons in the lobby are beautiful.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Thanks for staying with us and writing your review. As I’ve written before, you can’t beat the location of the Marriott Rivercenter, it’s awesome. Schilo’s is my favorite spot for a bowl of Split Pea Soup, there is none better! The sights and sounds of the River Walk this time of year is a sight to behold, right outside our doors are thousands of twinking lights. Again, thank you for staying with us, perhaps a tradition has begun.
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed 25 November 2013

The highlight of the stay was Jessica, my housekeeper. I knew her name because she left me a thank you note both days and acknowledged that i was premium Marriott Rewards member. Each day, she filled my ice bucket and added my bottled drinks to it to keep them cold. In my 15 years of business travel, I've never had housekeeping do that. Job well done!

The bed was also very comfortable and I didn't have to wait to check in. The gym had a great variety of equipment, both cardio and weights, but be sure to bring your own bottled water.

However, if it wasn't for the conference I was attending, I would have stayed at the Grand Hyatt across the street. I thought the size and design of the room was small and had too much wasted space. There were numerous times when the shower didn't have hot water and the showerhead was too low; I'm only 6' tall.

Luckily the hotel is connected to a mall and the riverwalk for food and drink options since there were hardly any options in the hotel itself. However, several members of my group were older and it was not easy to walk a long distance to find a place for dinner. I wished we were closed to heart of riverwalk; this hotel was on the fringe of it and not very convenient compared to other hotels.

My biggest compliant was when I checked out early in the morning to head to the airport. When I walked outside the lobby, there was no one to help me with my bags or help get me a cab. I don't even think they planned to have staff at 4:30am to leave for 6am flights. I had to walk back inside to find someone to call a cab and then it still took 10 minutes. At a hotel this big, that was inexcusable.

If I find my way back to San Antonio, it won't be at this hotel.