O'Brien Historic Hotel, an Ascend Collection Hotel
Ranked #109 of 358 Hotels in San Antonio
Reviewed 5 February 2008

Great location within walking distance of the Riverwalk.
The Obrien offers great value to the Corporate Traveler such as myself looking for a hotel near downtown.
The convenience and great staff will definitely keep me coming back!

• Stayed: January 2008, travelled on business
1  Thank JustTravelingAround
There are newer reviews for O'Brien Historic Hotel, an Ascend Collection Hotel

Reviewed 19 July 2007

The O'Brien Hotel simply does not have enough parking. The desk clerk told us the city of San Antonio wasn't allowing the hotel to lease any more spaces from the lot across the street, and the little lot in back is not only ridiculously small, it is very difficult to get out of. And if you park there, the only way to the lobby is to walk through the one-lane drive, which has walls abutting it on both sides, so it's a dangerous thing to do.

First you have to drive into one or another of the lots to find a space. If the back lot is full, you have to turn around to get out of it -- a tricky maneuver. Then you have to cut across the street to the next lot, and depending on traffic, this might involve going around the block or navigating sharp turns at a signalized intersection. Then if there is no space, you have to go to a pay lot across the street -- assuming you know about it -- requiring more turns and signal lights. This is away from the hotel's other lots. It just takes too much effort to park.

Given this situation, it is insulting and fruitless for the hotel to charge $10 per day to park, and expect the guests to ask to have that charge removed from their bill if they couldn't use the hotel's lots.

The hotel should just have valet parking. Or the hotel should buy more property for a lot of its own. Meanwhile, the parking situation alone will ensure that we don't return to this hotel.

Besides that, when my wife stayed here in the spring, the room AC was out and the hotel could/would not fix it. They sweltered all night long. Then for my stay, I was given a handicapped room, with a walk-in shower and no tub, although I had not asked for one. The shower nozzle was about four feet up, and there was no place to hang it higher. So one has to hold the shower with one hand while showering.

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled with family
1  Thank pgb0517
Reviewed 17 July 2007

We checked in at 5 p.m. and our toilet didn't work. Asked desk clerk to have it fixed. Returned 5 hours later and sewage was in the toilet. Asked again for repair and was told they had no one to do repair. Manager was rude, said there was no other room and refused to give discount or help find another hotel. Obtained Clarion’s corporate number to report the hotel. Minutes later the manager, miraculously, had room available. Dead crickets on the floor of that room and water in the ice bucket. Was told room would be comped. 3 days later it was charged to my credit card. I am disputing the charges and reported them to Clarion who has a 100% satisfaction guarantee...they obviously didn't honor this.

• Stayed: July 2007
6  Thank kfern_62
Reviewed 5 July 2007

This was in a great location, just a 5 minute walk from the Riverwalk.

We stayed here as I did some apartment hunting for an upcoming military move. This hotel does give a military discount, so make sure you ask.

The rooms were very clean, and they lay out robes, which is nice, but they are not exactly comfortable. The hotel appears a bit dingy from the outside, but the inside is nice.

They have a little breakfast out front, standard cereal, oatmeal, pastries, yogurt, but they do have a cute little Texas shaped waffle maker, and the waffles were pretty good.

About the only complaint I had was that we went in last June when it was raining a lot, and there were crickets everywhere outside, and we'd come home to a few in our room. Not the hotels fault, just though I'd put that in there.

I definitely recommend this if you are just visiting and would like to spend time on the Riverwalk. Also, just down the street is a little martini/wine bar with great tapas.

• Stayed: June 2007, travelled on business
Reviewed 11 June 2007

I went for a conference and like another poster here I was overbooked even though I booked 2 months in advance. Only, I found out once I got to the counter on checkin. The counterperson was a very nice guy who got me into the AmeriSuites a couple blocks away. Not great but what can I do then... He said they'd credit me 1 night for the inconvenience. The next day I came back and the receptionist was the rudest person I've ever seen work for a hotel. On me asking about the 1 night credit, I was told "Well we didn't make you pay AmeriSuites, right?" Well yes but I'd prepaid for the O'brien so I didn't get a credit. It took 10 minutes of me explaining this and a few phone calls to the manager and booking website to get this straight. All the while with this receptionist staring me down. Weird. It got settled but for less credit than I was told.

On packing to leave I noticed that there were 6 clothing items missing. I told the front desk (the nice guy again) who searched their lost & found, asked maids and came up with nothing. I left a note for the manager with a detailed description of missing items, asking him to call me. I called again a couple days later and left another message. A week later I got a letter from the new manager apologizing and with a certificate of 1 night free next time. Uh, no thanks. I called and spoke with her and she got in touch with Clarion who offered nothing. She proposed maybe a night at any Clarion but after asking Clarion was told no. They wanted me to then file a police report, 2 months after it happened without me living within 1000 miles. For $300. Uh huh.

Clarion, thank you for making my travel choices so much easier.

Stayed: April 2007
1  Thank iputty
Reviewed 11 June 2007

Excellent location within close proximity to the Riverwalk. Rooms and common areas seem to have been recently updated and are nice. The only down side was a fair level of road noise and a 5am garbage truck that seemed to be compacting garbage for about 1/2 hour.

Stayed: June 2007
1  Thank abcdef999
Reviewed 16 May 2007

We had a wonderful stay at the O'Brien on our first visit to San Antonio. From the moment we arrived the staff were friendly and helpful giving advice on places to visit, restaurants and any other information we needed. We had to move to another hotel for a weekend function which had nothing on the O'Brien and was actually rated higher. We cannot recommend the hotel highly enough and will stay there again on our next trip to this beautiful city.

• Stayed: August 2006, travelled as a couple