O'Brien Historic Hotel, an Ascend Collection Hotel
Ranked #101 of 356 Hotels in San Antonio
Wisconsin
“A real gem!”
Reviewed 29 September 2009

Not on the Riverwalk, but walking distance to almost everything makes this a very good value. We were very pleasantly surprised. Clean, helpful staff, comfortable beds, etc.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (121)
Missouri
Reviewed 25 September 2009

We loved this hotel! We paid $85 per night, which was a deal considering it was just 2 blocks from the River Walk. The bed was possibly the most comfortable hotel bed I've ever slept in...really! We slept better than we did at home. We had the room closest to the front door and desk and thought this would be a problem (noise). How wrong we were. The only two complaints I have are 1. we had to take the lampshades off (the room was dim) and 2. we had to step in high to get into the shower/jacuzzi (if you get this room). We loved the 10 foot celings and old hotel charm. It's not as fancy as the Menninger or Emily Morgan, but they had a nice continental breakfast we could carry to our room and enjoy (plus cappucino/ cafe mocha available all day).

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
Austin, Tx.
Reviewed 4 August 2009

I totaly enjoyed the turn down service, the friendly staff, the atmospere, and especially the location! It is quaint, cozy and comfortable.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with friends
Florida
Reviewed 29 July 2009

We were hesitant about our O'Brien reservation after reading what others had written, but our experience could not have been better. We had a 3rd-floor, king-bed, balcony room, it was quiet, clean, comfortable bed, attractive and updated. The location is ideal, away from the noise and crowds of the "main" riverwalk area, but only minutes away from a riverwalk entrance, and another few minutes walk to the restaurants and shops. Parking was not a problem for us (we used hotel parking), but there are not enough spots for every room, they advertise parking is limited--and it is--but we saw parking at adjacent lots for a reasonable price. Breakfast was slightly better than adequate--we had choices, and got what we needed to start the day. Free internet, wireless in the lobby, but they gave us a cord to connect in the room. Based on our experience, I would recommend the hotel, the staff was courteous and we had no surprises.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
Colonial Heights, Virginia
Reviewed 18 March 2009

I agree with the previous review. However, the room was smaller than other hotels nearby. Although it is on located near the Riverwalk, it is located at the far end of the Riverwalk. The room had a nice whirlpool bath, free wireless internet, and a VERY small breakfast. The minuses are no fridge, small room, limited parking for an additional $10, the business center does not have business applications on the computer (Word 2003, Word 2007, XP, Powerpoint, etc.) so in most cases, you cannot use the printer. If your room is near the street, you will definitely hear traffic noises throughout the night. This would not be my first hotel recommendation to anyone visiting San Antonio. Not bad, but not my first and I've stayed at over 10 hotels in San Antonio.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled on business
Houston
Reviewed 17 March 2009

After hearing a lot of great reviews my fiance and I were very excited about staying at this hotel, especially since we were getting a discount from my organization. We are young travelers, and not very picky, but this hotel was just an extreme disappointment.
The parking was a bit of a hassle, but we were able to get lucky and park in the lot across the street. We didn't move the car the entire time for fear that we would be stuck without a spot.
We had a balcony room with a king. The first thing that we noticed when we walked in was an overpowering smell, like something stale or old stagnant water. We figured that it was hot outside, the AC wasn't on yet, and maybe the air needed to start circulating since this was an older building. We opened the balcony door and turned on the AC. It did not work and the smell bothered us the entire time, so much that when we had a friend come visit that night, I was embarassed to let him use our bathroom before heading out, because the room smelled so terrible.
The next thing that really upset us was when we went to bed late that night, I noticed that the sheets felt filthy. There were so many grains of dirt or something on them, that I had to actually remove the sheets and beat them on the balcony. We would have called management that night, but it was so late and we were so tired that we resigned ourselves to just sleep on the sheets.
My fiance and I had been camping the prior weekend and what I felt waking up in a tent the morning after is very similair to what I felt waking up in this hotel. Dirty and tired. The continental breakfast was nothing special, and we got out of the hotel as soon as possible.
We are mostly disappointed because we had read so many wonderful reviews and were expecting a top notch place, and especially for the price we paid to stay there. However, we probably would have been better off staying at a Motel 6.
I will add that the front desk staff was very helpful and kind, but perhaps they need to hire a better cleaning crew.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank TeacherTravelerRPS
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 23 February 2009

When one mentions the Clarion - O'Brien with 69 rooms, they may envision a small hotel that is either well patrolled or quaint. This hotel is adequate in both regards. My personal experience was influenced by being placed on the ground floor, just around the corner from the front desk.

The room was newly renovated and had a whirlpool bath. Once you closed the curtains, you were transposed to a lovely, well-appointed room with adequate space and facilities.
The hotel, I am told, had a fitness room that was unavailable, however, arrangements had been made to use a nearby health club as an alternative.

The desk clerk, Cynthia, was a sweetheart. I would come out of my room to flirt with her when I was in need of companionship. She was very helpful with suggestions about where to go for fun and good eats.

The hotel is located about a block and a half from the "Riverwalk", however, not the busiest part of the "walk". Another four blocks and you're in "the thick of things". A very pleasant experience. The hotel has a continental breakfast in the morning with seating on the second floor. The food for breakfast is located in the lobby and can be very ackward to sit and consume. Fortunately, being on the first floor, I could take whatever back to my room.

I would visit this hotel again.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled on business