“You will love your stay at the O' Brien”

O'Brien Historic Hotel, an Ascend Collection Hotel
Ranked #91 of 354 Hotels in San Antonio
texas
“You will love your stay at the O' Brien”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 November 2006

The O'Brien is a great place to stay when visiting downtown San Antonio! Its less than a 100 dollars a night on Priceline, which is a steal considering just a block away other hotels are charging twice as much! Its within walking distance (1 block away) from the south part of the Riverwalk, which is where all the the best resturants are. Its also in a relatively safe and quiet part of downtown, which being a woman was important to me. The hotel itself is nice inside, and the beds are very comfortable. The breakfast is good, and the Texas shaped waffles are a cute touch to the contiental breakfast. The only downside being their isn't tables and chairs to sit down and eat, so you have to take everything back to your room (which can be hard to carry for the journey back up to your room). Also being a non-smoker I appreciated their no smoking policy through-out the building. The staff is also nice and accomendating. The Parking situation was another downside, they have every limited spaces so during busy times and holidays it might be difficult to get a spot. But overall I was very pleased with my stay at the O' Brien and will stay again on my next trip to San Antonio!

• Liked — Locaton, price, safe and quiet street
  • Disliked — Parking
  • Tips/Secrets — Bring your ice tray to help carry your breakfast back to your room.
  • Stayed October 2006, travelled with family
6 Thank benswife

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (115)
schererville,indiana
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 October 2006

This Hotel was great it was only 100 dollars through travelocity and it was only 1 block from the riverwalk. Now it was the greatest looking but our room had a whirlpool on inside to and the waffles and breakfast in the morning was great.

• Liked — Close to Riverwalk
  • Disliked — View of parking lot
  • Stayed September 2006, travelled as a couple
1 Thank cubssuxsoxrule
Denver, CO
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 October 2006

The O'Brian is a very pretty and clean boutique hotel. The rooms are very nice and the beds are comfortable. I stayed there for several nights while attending a convention. The hotel is in easy walking distance to the convention center, great dining options and attractions such as the Alamo.

Because I was there on business, I was very disappointed in the wireless internet connection. It worked for 5 minutes then the signal was lost. The man at the front desk said there was nothing they could do. If it's critical that you connect, do not count on wireless. Be sure to bring a USB cable.

Overall, a great hotel, especially if you're in San Antonio to spend the day/evening enjoying the city and the nights and mornings enjoying a comfortable room. But if your there on business, be sure to bring a USB cable. The desks are comfortable enough to get some work done.

• Liked — The rooms
  • Disliked — Poor connectivity for high speed wireless
  • Tips/Secrets — Bring USB cabel to connect
  • Stayed October 2006, travelled on business
1 Thank DenverTravelGirl
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 September 2006

I had a last minute trip to San Antonio and a colleague recommended the O’Brien hotel. This hotel is with in walking distance or short trolley ride to Riverwalk, Convention Center, and other attractions.

This Boutique hotel is simply perfect and the rates are very competitive for Downtown San Antonio.

• Liked — The rooms are fantastic and do not have generic hotel room feel.
  • Disliked — no problems
  • Tips/Secrets — Very safe area for jogging and/or walking
  • Stayed September 2006, travelled on business
1 Thank JA007
Neetneeter, General Manager at O'Brien Historic Hotel, an Ascend Collection Hotel, responded to this review, 1 October 2006
I would like to take this opportunioty to Thank everyone that has written a review (good or bad) for the O'Brien Historic Hotel. Yes, bad. We are not perfect, however we do try our best to accomodate every request for every guest that comes to the hotel. However, there are times we cannot make everyone happy. We are only 39 rooms and not everyone gets a jacuzzi, balcony or claw foor tub. We have a great property and staff but we are small on storage.
You and alot of other people that have stayed with us have seen our dedication to our guests and our new owner. Thank you all for your reviews, they help us acheive our goals.
Roanoke, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2006

We stayed at the O'Brien June 15, 2006 and it was wonderful! The front desk was very helpful and nice. The parking is a bit of a problem, but that is with anywhere in San Antonio Riverwalk area. The room was beautiful and the bed was nice and comfy. The rooms are a bit small, but what do you expect from a hotel that used to be a missionary. We only stayed there one night and we made sure we got a balcony room which was nice and quiet. I did have one complaint and that was about the claw-foot bathtub. I usually do not have time to take a bath and I tried taking a shower and it was really difficult to take a shower because it was cramped and the tub rocked back and forth everytime I moved. Other than that I loved my stay. I would highly recommend this hotel and their staff, although I did hear that they are changing ownership in July.

• Stayed June 2006
4 Thank liltippers82
A TripAdvisor Member
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 June 2006

First, I will say that I hope this review is helpful. I read the reviews on this and other sites before choosing the O'Brien, and I must say my expectations were high, so that may be why it was very disappointing. First, I am expecting a baby and was traveling with a female friend to San Antonio, so while booking on [--], I also decided to call the hotel myself to ensure a double queen, non smoking room (the whole hotel is Non smoking, so that was perfect). When we arrived we learned that there was no where to load and unload luggage expect to roll a cart yourself (no staff to help) behind the hotel to your car and back up a long alley. Ok that was weird but...ok. Then they assigned us to a room on the 1sr floor and when we arrived to the room there was laundry being folded ALL over the bed, benches, tables or anywhere you could fold and stack laundry and it was one king size bed. When we returned to the front, the staff said he would have them take all the stacks of laundry out immediately. We protested further that we had reserved a double room which he rudely replied is never guaranteed and that we have to take the one that is available. Luckily, I had the persons name and a separate confirmation # that I got when I called the hotel directly 3 weeks ago while making the reservation. So he and the person at the front desk very promptly and sort of rudely found an available double room also on the 1st floor. Which was fine although it had no closet or pole to hang up clothing in the room, again, that is a little weird. It was very very clean though which goes a long way for me. Within the room the only complaint that we had really was that the safety plug in the restroom did not work, it was permanently tripped. We did notice that the stairwell just outside of our room to which the door was never closed, was piled high with trash and an orange cone that partially blocked the "emergency exit" in the stairwell, which would have been bad had there actually been a fire. And under the stairs there were numerous large pile of excess supplies and water, so I can only assume there is no where else to store things or discard boxes intended for the trash.

On the first morning, the breakfast food was not replenished after 8 am and is supposedly served through 9 am, so sort of first come first serve. There were some items though, which were adequate at best.

On the second day, we did not get towels after the room was cleaned and at 4:30 pm, upon returned hot and in need of bath linens, we inquired about this only to be spoken to very rudely by the housecleaning person who was standing on a large pile of clean sheets (we know they were clean just out of the dryer, because a second cleaning person asked her if the ones that she was standing on were clean to which she replied "yes" obviously very aggravated at the question). At 6:30 pm, as we tried to get ready to clean up before going out to have dinner, I went back and inquired about the status of the towels, as I arrived in the lobby, the two cleaning ladies were there with the desk attendant and another gentleman sitting in the only two chairs in the lobby shooting the breeze. They both jumped up and ran in different directions saying that they were still waiting for towels to dry from the morning. The towels were brought dry and folded to the room at 6:45 pm. To that point we had 2 washclothes, on a Sunday night when most of the guests had checked out that day at 12 noon from a wedding party. Upon arriving back from the hotel after dinner, the door to the back office/kitchen/laundry room (all one big room back there, weird again, I know...) was open. We stepped in and took a picture of the laundry everywhere and all over the floor, the same that they had stated 3 hours before was clean. Maybe this is all too much information but I think that the "behind the scenes" may be important if it is in disarray and out front, especially due to ineptitude. We paid $605 though [--] and I noticed on the final bill that they gave me for the parking that the charges were only $448.69. + $27.84 for parking. I will never stay there again or recommend to anyone. Only saving grace was that the room seemed clean.

Stayed May 2006
18 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2006

My husband and I stayed at the O'Brien the first week of June and only had a few minor complaints. When we checked in, we were disappointed at how small the lobby was and were given a double queen room for one night, but we had booked a king for 2 nights. They were able to adjust that for us and when we arrived in room 104, it was very nicely decorated, clean, and in order. Upon further inspection, we noticed that the jacuzzi tub was not working (very disappointing) and the shower curtain rod had fallen down when a towel was hung over it. We requested that it be fixed but had to ask again and then it was taken care of by replacing it with a new one. When we asked at the front desk about the jacuzzi, we were told that they knew it wasn't working and hadn't been for a while. Too bad they couldn't keep it in repair as it is a wonderful addition to a room. As you can see from the photo, the bathroom is very nicely done with the marble vanity top and the ceramic floor. If you stay here and don't like people walking by right outside your window, request a room on the 2nd or 3rd floor or in the rear of the hotel. Also, we had no problem finding a parking place in front of the hotel on Wednesday and Thursday (which is $10.00 a day) but that is about all you will see as scenery at this location are parking lots. If you are looking for a room with a view, get something on the Riverwalk, but you will pay more. We found a San Antonio.com rate of $109.00 plus tax which was a great deal compared to some we checked. The breakfast bar was very nice and we had Texas shaped waffles, yogurt, pastries, juice, and coffee each morning from 6-9am. The free coffee machine is handy if you need some refreshment during the day, but use the strong brew as it is pretty weak otherwise. There is nowhere to sit down and eat but it wasn't a problem to take our food back to the room. The internet connection was free but we couldn't get it to talk to our computer so it didn't work for us. The AC unit remote controls were tricky to learn and we were hot for a while until we did. We both have back problems but the bed was extremely comfortable to sleep in and the sheets were of good quality. We went to visit the Menger Hotel's lobby and it was very beautiful and grand. Upon studying the reviews after we got home, many guests said that the rooms are not anything like the lobby and were very displeased with them, so we thought our room at the O'Brien was probably better than what they could have offered. All in all, this is a nice, clean, and friendly place to stay while visiting the Riverwalk and Alamo, which were both very close by.

• Stayed June 2006