O'Brien Historic Hotel, an Ascend Collection Hotel
Hotel Gibbs Downtown San Antonio Riverwalk(San Antonio)(Great Value!)
US$162
  • Restaurant
Mokara Hotel and Spa(San Antonio)
US$367
Omni Hotels
US$185
US$179
US$356
US$314
  • Pool
Hotel Valencia Riverwalk(San Antonio)
US$221
  • Restaurant
Omni La Mansion del Rio(San Antonio)
US$293
US$251
Hotel Contessa(San Antonio)
US$364
US$356
  • Pool
Comfort Suites Alamo/Riverwalk(San Antonio)
US$157
  • Breakfast included
US$388
US$337
  • Restaurant
All reviewssmall lotsmall hotelclaw foot bathtubthe river walkwafflesbalcony roomnice continental breakfastthird floorchoice hotelswalking distancean older buildingdowntown attractionsthe ac unitbed and pillowswaffle makerstaff was very friendly and helpfulconvention center
Reviewed 11 June 2007

Excellent location within close proximity to the Riverwalk. Rooms and common areas seem to have been recently updated and are nice. The only down side was a fair level of road noise and a 5am garbage truck that seemed to be compacting garbage for about 1/2 hour.

Stayed: June 2007
1  Thank abcdef999
Reviewed 16 May 2007

We had a wonderful stay at the O'Brien on our first visit to San Antonio. From the moment we arrived the staff were friendly and helpful giving advice on places to visit, restaurants and any other information we needed. We had to move to another hotel for a weekend function which had nothing on the O'Brien and was actually rated higher. We cannot recommend the hotel highly enough and will stay there again on our next trip to this beautiful city.

• Stayed: August 2006, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 April 2007

I booked a room two months in advance of attending a conference in April. Two weeks before the conference I called and confirmed my reservations. Then 1 week before I was to attend the conference, the O'Brien called me and told me that they had overbooked. Their solution was to put me in an Amerisuites further away from the convention center. They did agree to pay for 1 night which was the the equivelant of two nights at the O'Brien with me paying for the next night so money wise it would have been the same. The problem was that this hotel was not on the shuttle route to the convention, the eating places were farther away and the walk was much longer. I went online and found a LaQuinta that was much closer to the convention center and was across the street from the River Center Mall so there were plenty of restaurants to chose from. When I called them back and asked if they would pay for this instead they refused (even though it would cost them less) telling me that they had agreements with certain hotels. So we chose the LaQuinta Convention Center and it was wonderful.
While the new arrangements where much better, it was very stressful and time consuming all because of their error of overbooking.

Stayed: April 2007
2  Thank doxiestar
Reviewed 20 March 2007

First off, I must say that I will be staying here every time I visit San Antonio. I was kind of worried because of the few bad reviews, but I loved it. The staff was very friendly and helpful. The rooms are a little cramped, but if you slightly move some things around it alows for a little more room. The small rooms and bathrooms is what I was worried about, but it is nothing to freak out about. The decor is very nice and the room was very clean. There is a little noise because of buses but it didnt bother my girlfriend or I. But I muss say, that there was a bird that drove me absolutly crazy outside our window. Haha. Having everything within walking distance was an extra plus also. HardRock and Rainforest Cafe is only 2 blocks away which was really cool. Again, the staff, service, location, price, and condition of the room exceded my expectations and I will surely stay here from now on.

• Stayed: March 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed 30 January 2007

We arrived too early to check in, and the manager confirmed our booked room type (king, balcony) and told us to come back after 1:30. When we came back, not only had he "accidentally" changed our room rate to $40 more, but suddenly we only had a 2-queen room. That would have been OK, except the balcony door didn't close all the way, and also wouldn't lock (they are shared balconies, so definitely a security issue). After requesting a different room because of this, the only thing they had was a room on the street side. Because this is a "historic" (i.e. old) hotel, the windows are single pane and it sounded like we had an interstate barreling through our room all night. After a sleepless night, we asked for a different room yet again. They claimed to have no other rooms, so we were stuck. Clarion hotels have 100% satisfaction guarantee: if anything about your stay is not to your satisfaction, the room is free. Needless to say the O'Brien did not honor this guarantee, and have ignored subsequent customer service inquiries; Clarion simply passes the complaint on to the local management, who then ignore it. Overall, a disappointing experience: they tried to jack up our room rate, didn't give us our booked (and verbally confirmed) room type, the room wouldn't even lock, and the room we ended up in was terribly noisy. After all that, they wouldn't even honor Clarion's satisfaction guarantee.

• Stayed: January 2007, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
6  Thank Pikkle_Mon