“No one has a Clue!!!!!!”

Marriott Plaza San Antonio
Ranked #69 of 358 Hotels in San Antonio
Reviewed 27 January 2012

We spent our Christmas at this hotel. We have stayed here before and like this location. We are loyal Marriott owners/customers. We called ahead to find out if the dining room would be open, since this was Christmas. First front desk told me I needed to call back the next day since it was almost 5PM and talk to the restaurant manager between 9-4, that they have not been told. Called back and was told it would be open regular hours. My husband called again to see if we needed reservations and were told it would NOT be open, but we could order room service. I called again to inquire since I had been told it WOULD be open and was told we could eat in the bar!!!. When we arrived we noticed a signed posted that the dining was closed for several days. Think someone could read there sign!!! Our room was NOT clean. I usually wipe down the counter and fixture myself but could not believe the level of dirt that was on the counter, floor etc. The hot tub at this property is wonderful and clean. We hope management will work with housekeeping and the front desk staff to make improvements. This is an old but wonderful property for downtown San Antonio. Please bring back its wonder.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 22 January 2012

I've stayed here a few times. In the past its been average to above average, but its gone downhill.

First error was that I booked online and there was no mention of a remodel. I arrived late and was told as a gold member that no king beds were available due to the remodel. Disappointing, but never guaranteed anyway. I was also told the 4th floor was closed which is where the lounge is, so I assumed thats why I didnt get a lounge key. Again, disappointing, but oh well. Turns out the lounge was open.

My biggest issue was the level of noise. I could hear EVERYTHING on either side of me. The room on the other side of my bed had a daily wake up call which I could hear, and on the other side was a guest who held a morning conference call on speaker phone which I could hear. Simply not comfortable.

Finally my bill was wrong when I checked out. Incorrect rate, incorrect name on the bill, etc. Just all in all disappointing.

The staff was nice and I will add that the manager sent me an email to ask for my opinion which I gave. She apologized but I will still likely look at other properties for my next few trips to that area.

While the rate was attractive, I would now suggest either the Marriott Riverwalk, Rivercenter, or even the Courtyard Marriott on the River.

Room Tip: There is construction going on two blocks west of the hotel which was very loud as well. You may wa...
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 20 January 2012

This is a pretty property--a typically unimaginative Marriott built around historic buildings and a garden--but try as they might, they can't get anything right when it comes to service. No coffee with my coffee maker. I called and asked that some be left outside my door while I showered. I got loud banging on the door by the security and decaf. The restaurant service is the slowest going. No one knows where groups are meeting amid the confusing warren of meeting rooms. Everyone was nice enough this time (see my previous reviews--that hasn't always been the case), but a lot of training is needed of the whole staff. As I've written on other stays here, if you are choosing your own hotel, rather than being placed here by your business as I am, there are better choices in the area.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank Achillea
Reviewed 20 January 2012

Booked a one-night stay here through Priceline, so we got a pretty fair rate. I don't think I would've paid full price though. It was listed as a 4-Star, and I think it fell a little short. The hotel is a little older, but it appeared as though it's been relatively well kept up. The lobby area is nice. Bar is small, but with plenty of TVs.

Check-in went smoothly, but the front desk clerk didn't offer us much other than our room number (no breakfast times or an offer for more information). I had to ask which direction our rooms were in. I'm used to that just being general information offered up. After getting to our room at the end of the hallway on the top floor of the hotel, we thought it was odd that the room number was being held on with duct tape. The entire floor smelled like fresh paint or something, so I imagine they've done recent touch-ups. No big deal, but we walked into the room only to find that it did not have a bed and appeared to be used as some kind of storage space. We then had to traverse back to the front desk, and when we got there the clerk said he was just about to call and that he accidentally gave us the wrong room. An honest mistake, but there was never any kind of apology offered. He simply gave us new room keys and a coupon for a free breakfast, which we appreciated, but again, a simple "We're very sorry" doesn't seem too difficult either.

The rest of the stay was fine. We were back on the top floor, so we had vaulted ceilings and a very spacious room. So spacious in fact, that there was an extra desk thrown in for some reason (obscuring the desk that was intended for the room). Just another furniture snafu, I suppose. The room was clean and all the furnishings were nice and seemed relatively new. The bath tub was the only thing in the room a little dated. The king-sized bed was very comfortable.

Our room had a "city view" which is to say you could see the San Antonio skyline, though the direct view of the hotel parking lot below kept it from being anything too special. There was also a glimpse of some of Hemisfair Park. Facing out had a little street noise (Police sirens went off about three or four times during our stay), but it wasn't too disturbing as the A/C fan was noisy enough to block most of it out.

The location is pretty good. Not on the Riverwalk, but just a few blocks through the interesting La Villita area. The walk was not bad at all. We were not there for anything in Hemisfair park, but if those attractions interest you, it's the perfect location for that.

With the coupon for our earlier inconvenience, we took advantage and ate breakfast at the hotel. It may have been the best part of the hotel other than the bed. The buffet fare was good, and we ordered pancakes which were delicious. Breakfast also gave us the chance to view the hotel courtyard which looked very beautiful. We didn't explore it much, but the grounds appeared to be very well kept.

Besides not having a bed in our first room, the worst part is the $23 charge for self parking. I guess it's an expected rate considering the hotel is still technically in the downtown area, but it seemed high considering it wasn't very well secured. Also, it mysteriously had a light pole in the middle of one of the parking lot lanes which made me wonder what would happen if the lot were ever full and you couldn't swerve through empty spaces to get out.

Overall, it was fine for what it was -- a nice little get on Priceline, but I think to call it a "4-Star" is a bit of an exaggeration.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 January 2012

My husband and I travel quite a bit for my blog and this is quite possibly the worst hotel I have ever stayed in that had this high of a star level. Frankly we've stayed in two star places that had better rooms than here. They did have a very nice lobby, but we like to see the city in which we stay and rarely spend much time in a hotel. The rooms were small and bathroom was very dark. I ended up having to put my makeup on by the window with my little had mirror. The "balcony" was a railing with an inch wide metal tube that if you were really brave you could stand on. At least we were on the second floor!!! There was no bottled water in the room and no mini fridge so if you got thirsty you were stuck with tap. The internet fee was per device so for our laptop and our 2 iPhones it would have been $40 a day. We were unable to get maid service, they didn't come to clean our room until about 5:30, right when we were in the middle of getting ready for dinner. The coffee packets we were given only made one cup of reg and one decaf so one of us did not have a good morning!! When we asked if we could get another packet we were told it would be $5, and I refused to give this establishment any more of our money. You could self park your car for $23 or you could valet for $29. The service at the front desk was less than mediocre, especially after they saw we paid thru an internet travel site. Overall we were very disappointed in our service and will never be staying here again.

Room Tip: Choose another hotel
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank tauruskitty36
Reviewed 31 December 2011

The Marriott Plaza in San Antonio is one of 3 Marriott hotels within a 3 (or so) block radius and this is the one you should pick. The hotel is a smaller, boutique-style hotel and in a great location. It is only 2 block from the Riverwalk and 15 minute walk to the Alamodome. We were there for the Alamo Bowl and were very pleased with the hotel. Our room (548) had 2 Double Beds that were comfortable and the room was clean and was pleasing to the eye. We had a view of the Hemisfair Tower and the Alamodome with a furnished balcony. The food at the hotel was good, we ate both dinner and breakfast at the hotel and the food was good and reasonably priced. My only complaint for the hotel is that parking is $30 for valet and I understand a charge for parking in a downtown area, but that is almost too excessive especially not being directly on the Riverwalk like the other Marriotts that charge the same. I would definitely stay here again! Our room was $209 for that night but I would not pay that unless it was a night like the night where the Alamo Bowl was being paid, otherwisem I would pay $150 max. Also, check-in took almost 15 minutes because she had to find a room for us.

Room Tip: Get a higher up room for a better view, or Courtyard room for quieter.
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 28 December 2011

Overall there is nothing horribly wrong with this hotel, but it is NOT on-par with any of the other 4-star hotels on/near the River Walk in San Antonio. My disappointment lies in the fact that when I booked using "name your own price" I selected 4-star properties on Priceline and "won" my bid for the Marriott Plaza. I would have gladly paid more to stay at any of the other properties in this category - so perhaps I should complain to Priceline? We were really upset coming back to this hotel after walking down the Riverwalk and stopping in to have cocktails at the Hyatt, Westin, La Mansion, etc....all 4 Star hotels definitely!
The positives:
Overall, the hotel clean & comfortable, yet outdated
The bed was fantastic (definitely 5-star).
The people - everyone was really friendly and accommodating
The courtyard area is nice and has that old Spanish feel - we didn't use the heated pool, but I could see it being relaxing during warmer months (there is also a little cabana/bar area near the pool that looked nice)
The workout room is in an old cottage near the pool - sufficient equipment, but again, a bit outdated from other workout facilities I've used at hotels - however it was free to use and towels, tv, water were provided.
Price - I bid $65....however, I would have gladly paid $20 or more to stay at one of the nicer (truly 4-Star hotels).
The cons:
This is NOT on the Riverwalk and NOT close to anything - I walked 4 blocks to find a Starbucks.
There is NO curb appeal - our balcony looked out onto an unsecured parking lot
We paid $24 bucks a night to park in that unsecured parking lot ($29 for valet if you choose)
While clean, I felt like I had ventured back to the 70s/80s - very dated hallways and room interiors. Comfortable, but felt old
We didn't eat at the restaurant, but did have drinks in the smallish bar off the lobby - prices were in alignment with what you would expect at a hotel.
Internet was $12.95 - who charges for Internet anymore?????

Suggestions: I could see coming here for business when I just needed a comfy bed and desk in my room to work.
Families who are looking for a bit more room for the kids and a nice pool area and good value would enjoy this property.
If you want to do the Riverwalk but don't want to pay and don't mind walking 3 blocks, this might be a good choice.
Be careful if you use a "name your own price" - this will come up under the 4-stars on Priceline. It would be better to just pay the listed rate at the hotel you really want to stay at on the Riverwalk.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple