“Not a 4 Star hotel by any means”

Marriott Plaza San Antonio
Ranked #66 of 358 Hotels in San Antonio
Reviewed 14 February 2012

The hotel is about 1.5 miles from downtown. You have to walk through a questionable area in order to reach downtown. To self-park in an outside lot was $23 a night. To have your car valet in an outside lot was $28 a night. The hotel rooms are being renovated. My first room was on the 5th floor and the paint smell was horrendous. I had to get a different room on the 7th. While I was doing this two other customers were requesting room changes because of the smell in their rooms. Why would they fill rooms that had just been painted? I had a do not disturb sign on my door until 11:45am when I left for my conference. When I got back that night the room had not been cleaned. I went to the front desk the following morning and instead of getting an apology they told me that any room that has a do not disturb sign on their door at noon does not get cleaned that day. I told them I have never heard of such a policy and nonetheless the sign had been removed at 11:45AM. No apology was extended.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
3  Thank Sujaka

Reviewed 7 February 2012

I won this hotel on a web site where you buy bidding. I saved a lot of money compared to average rate. The problem was as much as I hate to say it is young people 21-35, Late night party people, coming in making noise at 2:30 am. Next night was someone's kid running in the hallway late at night. I think from here on I will pay the high price for the better hotels and avoid these people. Hopefully the high end hotels will not attract the partiers. As for the hotel, good location with in walking distance of Riverwalk and Resturants and Alamo. We wasn't impressed with service in hotel resturant, slow. For tourist attractions it was good location.

Room Tip: Hotel charges for Internet and high parking, use this to compare prices at other hotels, if price is...
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 3 February 2012

The Marriott Plaza is just down the street from the convention center. An easy walk. Not on the river, but a short walk gets you there. This is an older property, but the rooms have been renovated and are clean.

I've stayed here twice and you can generally find good prices using TripAdvisor. It tends to be a little quieter than the riverwalk hotels because it is just off the beaten path. Other hotels on the riverwalk can be noisy, especially those adjacent to loud clubs and restaurants.

It's a good, basic, clean hotel with good service.

1  Thank JayDee3333
Reviewed 30 January 2012

Comfortable beds. Clean bathrooms. Easy walk to the Riverwalk. No balcony on the deluxe room that I booked. The view is to a rooftop. Don't book this hotel if you want a nice city view. You have to pay for Internet , I was thinking that even Motel 8 gives free Internet . The breakfast is 15 + per person with mediocre selections.

• Stayed: January 2012
Reviewed 27 January 2012

We spent our Christmas at this hotel. We have stayed here before and like this location. We are loyal Marriott owners/customers. We called ahead to find out if the dining room would be open, since this was Christmas. First front desk told me I needed to call back the next day since it was almost 5PM and talk to the restaurant manager between 9-4, that they have not been told. Called back and was told it would be open regular hours. My husband called again to see if we needed reservations and were told it would NOT be open, but we could order room service. I called again to inquire since I had been told it WOULD be open and was told we could eat in the bar!!!. When we arrived we noticed a signed posted that the dining was closed for several days. Think someone could read there sign!!! Our room was NOT clean. I usually wipe down the counter and fixture myself but could not believe the level of dirt that was on the counter, floor etc. The hot tub at this property is wonderful and clean. We hope management will work with housekeeping and the front desk staff to make improvements. This is an old but wonderful property for downtown San Antonio. Please bring back its wonder.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 January 2012

I've stayed here a few times. In the past its been average to above average, but its gone downhill.

First error was that I booked online and there was no mention of a remodel. I arrived late and was told as a gold member that no king beds were available due to the remodel. Disappointing, but never guaranteed anyway. I was also told the 4th floor was closed which is where the lounge is, so I assumed thats why I didnt get a lounge key. Again, disappointing, but oh well. Turns out the lounge was open.

My biggest issue was the level of noise. I could hear EVERYTHING on either side of me. The room on the other side of my bed had a daily wake up call which I could hear, and on the other side was a guest who held a morning conference call on speaker phone which I could hear. Simply not comfortable.

Finally my bill was wrong when I checked out. Incorrect rate, incorrect name on the bill, etc. Just all in all disappointing.

The staff was nice and I will add that the manager sent me an email to ask for my opinion which I gave. She apologized but I will still likely look at other properties for my next few trips to that area.

While the rate was attractive, I would now suggest either the Marriott Riverwalk, Rivercenter, or even the Courtyard Marriott on the River.

Room Tip: There is construction going on two blocks west of the hotel which was very loud as well. You may wa...
Reviewed 20 January 2012

This is a pretty property--a typically unimaginative Marriott built around historic buildings and a garden--but try as they might, they can't get anything right when it comes to service. No coffee with my coffee maker. I called and asked that some be left outside my door while I showered. I got loud banging on the door by the security and decaf. The restaurant service is the slowest going. No one knows where groups are meeting amid the confusing warren of meeting rooms. Everyone was nice enough this time (see my previous reviews--that hasn't always been the case), but a lot of training is needed of the whole staff. As I've written on other stays here, if you are choosing your own hotel, rather than being placed here by your business as I am, there are better choices in the area.

2  Thank Achillea