“Excellent staff at a great hotel”

Marriott Plaza San Antonio
Ranked #66 of 358 Hotels in San Antonio
Reviewed 15 May 2013

I stayed here last week for a business trip. The hotel is wonderful and the staff really go the extra mile. There wasn't a single person I encountered at this hotel that didn't seem thoroughly happy to be there and they all wanted to make sure I was taken care of. This place is very well cared for. The lobby was very welcoming, the fitness center was great (towel service, granola bars, water, yoga balls, medecine balls, benches, dumbbells, treadmills, elliptcals, and bike machines), the pool area made me feel like I was at a resort. I'd go out at night and there was a fire pit blazing just off the calming pool and hot tub. The room was great, comfortable bed, spacious, area for sitting, area for working, and mini-fridge. Room service was great as well. I'd stay here again for sure. My room was on the 6th floor, with a balcony that overlooked the hemisphere park. Walking distance from the Riverwalk and restaurants.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
Maria M, General Manager at Marriott Plaza San Antonio, responded to this reviewResponded 23 May 2013

Dear CMDH01,

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience at the Marriott Plaza San Antonio. I am so happy that you had a wonderful stay and that the staff made you feel welcome and went above and beyond to ensure you had an amazing stay. Our team is committed to making sure each guest has a wonderful and memorable stay. Our hotel is so unique and beautiful; we want everyone to be able to experience the history, resort feel that we have to offer. At the same time, we also will get our guests anything they need to see this amazing city as well.

Thank you again for taking the time to share your feedback and your experience. Thank you for your business and choosing to stay with us.

Reviewed 15 May 2013

I was recently on business in San Antonio and stayed at the Marriott Plaza. The hotel is within easy walking distance of the Riverwalk. The staff is super friendly and, when traveling alone, it's nice to feel that you are recognized and welcomed when you return after being out all day. The rooms are an excellent size and I loved the balcony The amenities, staff and accommodations in the concierge lounge are great! I also loved relaxing in the courtyard, which is nicely landscaped, by the pool. I recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: The hotel has live peacocks so if you want to sleep in do not stay in a courtyard room particularly...
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
Maria M, General Manager at Marriott Plaza San Antonio, responded to this reviewResponded 15 May 2013

Dear Patricia,

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience. Thank you for your accolades for our team. We want every guest to feel welcome and we want to do whatever we can to make you feel like this is your home away from home.

It is a great location as well. Close to the Riverwalk and all the attractions in San Antonio, yet the hotel sits on 6.5 acres of beautiful grounds. The pool and courtyard are the perfect for relaxing. I am pleased you were able to unwind and relax.

Thank you again for your feedback and your loyalty to Marriott Plaza San Antonio! We appreciate your business and love seeing you each time you return.

We all look forward to your next trip to San Antonio!

Reviewed 10 May 2013

We just checked in. Upon arrival, we were pleased with the hotel for the rate. However, the person who checked us in was very snippy. I could have lived with that, but it took four tries before we finally got checked in to the reserved room, and no real apology even though my husband spoke with the manager. I know why we prefer the courteous staff at Hilton hotels. It was a mistake to give Marriott a try.

Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Glendajo
Maria M, General Manager at Marriott Plaza San Antonio, responded to this reviewResponded 14 May 2013

Dear Gladajo,

Thank you for your recent stay with us. I was shocked and extremely disappointed to read your review. As you can see by the many reviews on Trip Advisor that the expectation for our team is that we always go above an beyond for our guests. I sincerely apologize if you had any other experience. The words you used to describe our team is truly upsetting and not the caliber of a team you would see at our Marriott. You had said you spoke to a manager, and I was not aware of any situation, so it must have been another department manager.

If you could please contact me as soon as possible regarding your experience. I appreciate the feedback, as I would not have known. Any feedback you have my commitment to act on quickly. We have very high standards as a Marriott property and this experience is not acceptable or up to Marriott's standards nor mine.

Again, I sincerely apologize and I look forward to your call so that I may address immediately.

Always at your Service,

Reviewed 9 May 2013

I stayed at the Marriott Plaza for one night during a business trip. I was tired and checking-in late and the front desk was very nice and got me checked-in quickly. Rooms are nice and have a great view of the courtyard and pool. Overall a great option for San Antone and gives a bit quieter of a feel then staying on the Riverwalk. You can still walk to the bustling area, but have the comfort of a quiet night's sleep. Definitely will stay here again on my next trip to San Antone!

Also, left my key in my room upon checking-out and needed it to exit the parking area. I pressed the call button and with no trouble they let me out of the parking area.

Great service and great location.

Dear Sarah,

Thank you for taking the time to share your reveiw regarding your recent stay with us. I am so happy to hear you had a great stay and enjoyed the grounds fo the hotel. We always strive to not only meet, but exceed our guests expectations, so thank you for sharing your feedback.

I do hope you come back to see us when you visit the San Antonio area.

Reviewed 7 May 2013

My husband and I took a quick getaway to San Antonio, and we stayed here to celebrated our anniversary. The staff members were all very friendly, and the hotel is very nice! I loved staying here vs. on the river because the river is a very short walk, but the hotel grounds are so much nicer here than anywhere on the riverwalk. I loved having the peacocks to look at in the courtyard (they were a little noisy at night, but I didn't mind at all). We also enjoyed sitting by the fire pit at night. I am a Marriott rewards member, so the staff noted that and we received a very nice room upgrade. We will defintely return to this location in the near future!

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
Maria M, General Manager at Marriott Plaza San Antonio, responded to this reviewResponded 11 May 2013

Dear Lauren,

Happy Anniversary! Thank you for spending it at the Marriott Plaza San Antonio. San Antonio is such a beautiful city, especially to spend an anniversary weekend. I am very happy that our hotel and staff were able to compliment that special getaway. I am glad you enjoyed our peacocks, with the exception of some night noises. Thank you for your patience and understanding. I am so thrilled you had a wonderful anniversary. It is our pleasure to serve you during that special time.

We hope to see you soon on your next visit to San Antonio! Thank you for taking time to share your experience.

Always at your Service,

Reviewed 7 May 2013

My husband & I visit San Antonio about once a year. We've "done" the Riverwalk numerous times. So, on our most recent visit, we wanted a hotel that was a litter farther away from the busy-ness of the tourist area, yet was still accessible to downtown sites. The Marriott Plaza fit that well. It's located just off the Riverwalk -- easily within walking distance, but far enough away to not feel overrun by conventioneers or big party groups. The hotel is big enough to offer the amenities you're looking for, but small enough for personal attention.

Our room was comfortable, though nothing special. Parking is just across from the hotel itself; the hotel charged too much for parking, but it was worth it for convenience sake. The hotel was clean and neat.

The hotel is located very near to Hemisfair plaza, the La Villita area, and the historic King William District (take a little while and do a walking tour of the grand old houses there), in addition to the aforementioned Riverwalk.

Overall, I'd recommend the Marriott Plaza for travelers looking for a quieter hotel that's still easy to get to.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
Maria M, General Manager at Marriott Plaza San Antonio, responded to this reviewResponded 9 May 2013

Dear SDSUGRAD,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us during your recent visit to San Antonio. We are unique in that we sit on 6.5 acres of land, yet we are still very close to the Riverwalk and all the city attractions. I am happy to hear you enjoyed the peacefulness of our location. I am also happy to read you had a great experience. If you have any other suggestions or comments, please feel free to contact me directly.

Thank you for taking the time to share your review.

Reviewed 3 May 2013

Stay was OK; however, each day brought a new headache in what they were doing to clean and seal the outside walkways. Day-by-day, sections of the walkways were closed-off and smelly from the fumes, and the access to the fitness center needed to be closed-off for many hours on one of the days. Hotel itself seems a bit dated in room and other furnishings (what I'll call typical Marriott); however, the courtyard is quite nice. Elevators seemed quite slow. One problem was that the in-room coffee bags didn't get replenished each day, and why do Marriott hotels only seem to offer one bag of caffeinated and one bag of decaffeinated coffee each day (enough for one cup of coffee)? Walking access to the convention center was great; however, look at a map to discover the shortest walking distance(s) to where you are planning to go in the convention center (there are back entrances to the convention center that you may want to use).

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business

Dear Valued Guest,

I believe you stayed with us back in early March. That was the only time we had working being done on the entry. That since then has been completed and I apologize for an inconvenience. Thank you for your understanding and patience during that time. We always want to continue to improve upon our hotel and I am so sorry for any hardship this caused.

You had mentioned the coffee selection in your room. If you should ever need any more than what we provide as a standard, we are more than happy to provide extra for your ease. At Your Service can provide any of these items in the room and we will let housekeeping know, so they can leave extra daily.

Thank you for taking the time to share your review.