“Beautiful hotel Horrible customer service”

Marriott Plaza San Antonio
Ranked #69 of 354 Hotels in San Antonio
Atlanta, Georgia
“Beautiful hotel Horrible customer service”
Reviewed 14 October 2013 via mobile

My family stayed in this hotel for 2 nights. It is a beautiful hotel and in a good location. I called marriott directly to book and was offered the concierge level at a slightly higher price. Since they said it offered snacks and drinks throughout the day and we have enjoyed having this bonus at other hotels, we chose this upgrade. It was a total waste! There was no attendant the entire weekend. It was never cleaned and each time we went in there were more dirty plates and cups. It was getting pretty nasty. And once drinks ran out, they were not replenished. So by Sunday morning there was almost nothing. We asked at the front desk and they said they don't staff it on the weekends. The marriott phone representative said it was staffed everyday from 6am-10pm, so I'm not sure who made the decision to change this. Also, the first day the room was cleaned and all the dirty towels were removed. Only one hand towel and one washcloth were left. I had to call downstairs to have washcloths and bath towels sent up. I booked 3 rooms at the same time, all listed under my name and my friend's name. They were all confirmed at the same rate. When we got the final bill, they had charged each of the rooms at a different rate. When we asked the lady at the front desk why, she responded "you just got lucky on that room!" Not exactly an explanation. We asked another woman at the front desk to explain an also why it was showing being billed to a MasterCard and we never used that type of card at confirmation or checkin or any other time. She couldn't explain about the card mixup and her only explanation of the room rates was that rooms are charged at the rate of when they were confirmed. When we said they were booked at the same time and confirmed together, she just shrugged and said that's just how it works. That is a horrible explanation and as a high rewards level member, it really ticked me off because I have stayed at enough marriotts to know that was a bs answer. We left the hotel very frustrated and would never stay at this hotel again. From the front desk to valet to concierge to room cleaning, there was a lack of customer service that was completely unacceptable.

Stayed October 2013
2 Thank Jtac3
Maria M, General Manager at Marriott Plaza San Antonio, responded to this review, 18 October 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

I sincerely apologize that you did not have a positive experience at the hotel. As far as concierge, I have passed this feedback along to the reservations office which is out of Omaha. We do offer the evening service Monday through Thursday night and breakfast, Monday through Friday. That is why we give the vouchers on the weekends for the guest to dine in the restaurant buffet. Since this is not done at our hotel specifically, I have passed that information onto the office. We never want out guest to be given wrong information and I apologize that it was.

In regards to your other issues, I would like to personally speak to you about those, as I need to research and do not have the information I need to properly address the team. I do encourage all guests, when they encounter any issues during their stay to please reach out to a manager or myself personally. We want every guest to have a positive experience and my team and I are committed to resolving and stepping in when needed. That way we can also coach any team members as well.

Thank you for your feedback and these are shared with our entire team.

Warm Regards,

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (202)
Fort Worth, Texas, USA
Reviewed 10 October 2013

Nice smaller Marriott property downtown. Next door to La Villita. Block from river walk and the old Spanish Gov office. More of a Spanish tradition. Open, small pool area. Peacocks run loose on property. Well maintained and friendly. Not a big Marriott, but feels like a quaint nice hotel

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
Maria M, General Manager at Marriott Plaza San Antonio, responded to this review, 11 November 2013
Daniel J.,

Thank you for taking the time to share your review on your recent stay at the Marriott Plaza. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay. It is a unique Marriott. We sit on 6.5 acres and have historical houses, the 1923 German School Houses and those peacocks, definitely make for a memorable experience.

The location is great; you're right by the Riverwalk but also right in the center of LaVillita and King Williams’s district. I am so happy you had a great time at the hotel and in San Antonio.

I have shared your comments with our entire team!

Thank you again for your business and hope to see you the next time you visit San Antonio!

Arizona
Reviewed 10 October 2013

It's an older property but they make the most of it - beautiful grounds with peacocks and a pheasant in the courtyard, lovely pool and patio, up to date rooms and linens. The shower curtains should be clear or white as there isn't a lot of light that gets into the tub with the shower curtain closed (silly I know, but it made my showering experience dark).

Another minor complaint is that they charge for internet access in the hotel room. But it's per DEVICE. So if I log in with my phone and with my laptop, it would charge me twice. There's really no reason for that.

The staff are great. All very pleasant and they go above and beyond. When my companion expressed disappointment that the restaurant only offered Pepsi products, the waiter actually found a Coke for her.

I was also impressed with the hotel food and room service. I felt it was slightly above average from similar level hotels. However, the continental breakfast in the meeting space wasn't really up to par.

It is within walking distance of the River Walk but slightly removed so you don't have to hear all the late night partying. The only issue that somewhat dampened my stay was the other event there (Armando Montelongo seminar); those participants smoked quite a bit on the way into the lobby.

Overall I enjoyed it and I would stay here again and also consider planning a small meeting here.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank SunnyInCleveland
Maria M, General Manager at Marriott Plaza San Antonio, responded to this review, 10 October 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for sharing your experience with us on your recent stay with us. I am happy that overall you had a great stay and that you enjoyed our lush grounds and had great service. All Marriott Full Service hotels do charge for the internet, but you never know what the future holds. It is free in our lobby and business center. It is also free for all Gold and Platinum members. I apologize for any inconvienceince.

Thank you for your feedback, we always share all our reviews with our entire team to help us improve.

Austin, Texas
Reviewed 5 October 2013

I was saying at this hotel weekly as I travel for work to San Antonio each week. The price is right and the location is decent to the river walk and south side restaurants. The hotel is old and has been given a number of face lifts. It is nice, but you can tell it is old. Overall the hotel is trying to live up to the Marriott name, it just isn't there, the rooms, the bedding, the grounds. The staff also ruins it. Generally when you stay at a high end hotel, folks end up getting to know you. Not here. I have status with Marriott and the concierge folks (some of them) are just plain rude. Others were great. No one knew my name by site even after months of staying here.

I like that you get a frig in your room, parking is expensive for self-park.

The reason I stopped staying here was I had repeated billing issues. I escalated to the front desk manager whom assured me my next stay would be perfect. It was anything but, I had the same billing issues. I did escalate further within management and through Marriott, they did credit my bill and provide points, but after 3-4 attempts at proactively trying to work with them, and then still the hotel failed after getting a manager involved, I had enough.

This isn't my money, it is the company that employees me, I'm just trying to be a good steward.

In all, I've taken my business across town to the Westin, even without status at Starwoods they haven't screwed up my bill yet and quite a few of the staff already greet me by name. I've already been given free drink and food vouchers.

For a quick one night stay, the Marriott Plaza is not bad. There are much better hotels in San Antonio. Don't expect this hotel to live up to the Marriott brand, its more of an expensive Courtyard. There are two other Marriott's in San Antonio that live up to the Marriott brand, but expect to pay for it!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Dan M
Dear Dan M.,

Thank you for your feedback during your stays. I am very disappointed that you did not have a good experience. I know I was able to come in at the end and hope provided some resolution to your concerns. I absolutely understand how frustrating it can be and cannot apologize enough.

Again, your feedback is very important to me and this has been shared with our entire team.

Cary, North Carolina
Reviewed 26 September 2013

I always value a location, which enables me to walk to local attractions or take public transportation and the Marriott Plaza San Antonio provided this for me in a comfortable, attractive, and safe setting. Close to downtown, but away from all of the hustle & bustle. Plus the staff was super in providing excellent information about the area and the hotel was reasonably priced. I was able to walk to Riverwalk in about 10 min., a straight shot right out the front door, plus there is a circulator bus stop at the corner. The Hemisfair Park (remnants of the '68 World's Fair) with the Tower of Americas (space needle with a rotating restaurant) is right across the street. La Villita is about a 5 min. walk out the front door too. A restored area of shops filled with arts & crafts with some eating. Some of the arts & crafts are just beautiful, I was able to pick-up a few reminders of my trip, plus help support the local artisans too. A small oil of the Alamo for $20 & a hand painted magnet with 2013 on tile of the Alamo for $5.

The grounds of the hotel are very relaxing, there are several peacocks in the courtyard at the back along with a nice pool, hot tub and a real treat... a fire pit with circular seating. Our room had a balcony, which was nice to sit outside with a cup of coffee and take in the nice breeze. You could even hear the noontime church bells chime, a nice little treat too.

Yes, we will definitely go back to this hotel!

Room Tip: Ask for inner courtyard..
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you so much for sharing your experience at the Marriott Plaza and in San Antonio. There is so many things to do and see. The art is amazing and I am so glad you were able to take advantage of all the sights and things to do while you were here.

I am also so happy that you had a great stay at the hotel. We offer a very unique experience with our courtyard and lush grounds on 6.5 acres. The peacocks are also fun to see and enjoy. They too, enjoy all our guests.

Thank you so much again for your feedback. I hope to see you back during your next trip to San Antonio.

Bayport, New York
Reviewed 23 September 2013

Not too far from the Riverwalk which was good. The hotel and amenities were a little outdated for a Marriott but other than that it was a nice property. The bellman are a little clueless because they gave us wrong information twice and wasted our time so I would ask the front desk if you have any questions.

The courtyard was pretty cool. They had a garden and peacocks which was a nice touch. The lobby area and staff were a plus but the gift shop prices were absolutely insane (which is typical in an Marriott). The rooms were pretty standard and it was a comfortable stay. Solid hotel and if you can a good price I would definitely recommend it. ferenzp@libertytravel.com

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
Dear ferenzp,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us. I am so happy that overall you had an enjoyable stay. I apologize that the bellman could not be more helpful. We did have a few new team members start, however if there is a question they can not answer they always refer to our front desk or lobby ambassadors to assist in any city information. Thank you for the feedback and we will continue to work with them team. This information only helps us improve.

Thank you again for taking the time to share your experience.

Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 12 September 2013

Marriott Plaza in San Antonio Tx is the best Hotel for the money. It's clean, close to the Riverwalk, friendly staff, and conceirge service that is 2nd to none. Wnenver I have questions or comments, the staff is quick to respond and they get it done. I have taken my wife with me several times and she has also commented that she loves the environment and feel of the hotel. I travel all over the US and only stay at Marriott hotels. Marriott Plaza is by far one of the tops of all the hotels and the only place I stay when I go to San Antonio.

Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
Dear Louis,

Thank you so much for returning to stay with us at the Marriott Plaza San Antonio. I appreciate you taking the time to share your experience with us. I am so pleased that you have always had a wonderful experience. As a Marriott, we always try to go above and beyond for each guest.

We all look forward to welcoming you back during your next stay!