“Great staff & great location”

Marriott Plaza San Antonio
Ranked #73 of 355 Hotels in San Antonio
Clearwater, FL
“Great staff & great location”
Reviewed 12 December 2013

I hosted a group here for one day of training. Jennifer, in the catering and sales department took great care of us. My 4th floor room had a balcony over looking the pool. Nice room too. I should say I pestered the front desk girls for this and that (stuff I forgot or needed for our training day) they were customer service pros. Traditional, dependable Marriott hospitality.

Room Tip: Ask and they will give you a pool view.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
Maria M, General Manager at Marriott Plaza San Antonio, responded to this review, 13 December 2013
Dear jimvet1826,

Thank you so much for hosting your meeting and staying with us at the Marriott Plaza San Antonio. I am thrilled to ready that Jennifer, our Catering Manager and our front desk team were wonderful to work with and helped you in whatever you needed to have a successful event. That is our goal and we will do whatever we can to help.

I am also happy to read you enjoyed the location and your room as well. We have beautiful grounds on the hotel which are filled with history. The location is perfect as well; less then a few blocks from the River Walk, next to La Villita and the historic King William's District. I am so pleased you were able to enjoy the property and its proximity downtown.

Thank you again for taking the time to share your experience and for your loyalty to the Marriott Brand. I will be sure to recognize Jennifer and our front desk team. It is our pleasure to be of service and thank you again for hosting your event with us.

We all hope to see you the next time you are in San Antonio!

Always At Your Service,

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (206)
None, Italy
Reviewed 5 December 2013

I paid $330 for a small room for one night. When we drove up, I was immediately disappointed by the look of the hotel. It looked like an apartment facing a parking lot. I paid extra for a room with balcony/city view. There was no city "view" but a grey parking lot and cars. There is no TV guide so you have to scroll through each channel to see what's on and you would have to keep flicking to find something decent to watch since pay-per-view movies aren't available. We ordered a room service. I'm not sure how but the total was twice more than what was listed on the menu when we checked out. I asked for detailed bill from the room service - they couldn't provide. Over all, I was disappointed and would not return to this hotel again. The only good thing was the pressure of the hot water. But not worth $300 per night.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank JJ T
Maria M, General Manager at Marriott Plaza San Antonio, responded to this review, 17 January 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your feedback. I appreciate you taking the time to share any concerns so that we can address.

I apologize you were not happy with your room location and apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you. I am sorry to read there were not happy with the amenities offered such as pay-per-view movies and a digital channel guide. I have noted the feedback for ownership. I did verify that the room service prices in the room are the same what we have in the system. If there are questions, please don't hesitate to contact myself or our Food and Beverage Director for a detail.

I sincerely apologize that you did not have a wonderful stay with us. We sincerely want each guest to have a wonderful experience and I thank you for your feedback so that we may address.

Best Wishes,
Northumberland, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 December 2013

Stayed for a convention at the nearby Convention Center (a few minutes walk away) in mid November. The Marriott Plaza is an older style comparatively low rise building situated a few minutes walk from Riverwalk and all the action fo downtown San Antonio. It is slightly in a backwater and this adds to its charm because it is quiet and relaxed compared to the larger convention hotels. Public areas are very photogenic as are the grounds surrounding the hotel. Rooms are large and my room had a large balcony facing the gardens which was great. Initially I had some problems with the first room that was allocated but the staff were great and quickly resolved my problem with little fuss and an apology. The concierge lounge was very comfortable and the food offerings were good. I felt I had a relaxed and enjoyable stay at the Marriott Plaza.
Voting with my feet: I will book this hotel again without hesitation.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Maria M, General Manager at Marriott Plaza San Antonio, responded to this review, 11 December 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience of your recent stay with us. I am so happy you had a great stay while visiting San Antonio with a convention.

Our hotel is a unique property. It is not a high rise but definitely has a more resort type feel, sitting on 6.5 acres, fountains, lush grounds and even peacocks roaming our Courtyard. It truly is a little oasis right downtown.

I am delighted to hear out front desk team were responsive and quick to get you in your room preference quickly. We strive to not only meet but exceed our guests expectations. We genuinely want each guest to feel like we are there home away from home.

Thank you so much for choosing to stay with us and I am thrilled you will be back when you visit San Antonio!

Warm Wishes,
Bryan, Texas
Reviewed 2 December 2013

I stayed at this hotel on 11-13-13 through 11-16-13. At check out the bill was not correct. There were multiple charges for parking when we had one car but two hotel rooms and we provided the State Tax exemption paperwork at check in but the tax was still on the bill. I tried to get it resolved at check out but folks at the desk said there was nothing they could do until their manage came in. I had to leave for the airport and could not wait until Monday. I called Ms. Golston on Monday 11-18. She assured me it would be taken care of and my account would be credited. I waited but no credit appeared so on 11-22. I contacted customer service at Marriott. I was assured it would be handled. They put me in contact with Ms. Golston and she responded again - big promises but no actual follow through. Here it is 12-1-13 and there is still no credit even though she did provide me a revised bill that indicates I am due a credit. But she did not issue the credit to the account. This is crazy. I think this is some kinds of credit card fraud. I am a gold member with more than 60 nights in Marriott hotels this year and this is absolutely the worst of incompetence. I believe this is actually a policy to cheat customers at this location so be careful. Check your bill and look for erroneous charges and contest them with your credit card company.

2 Thank Robert M
Dear Robert M.,

Thank you for taking the time to share your review. Thank you for your feedback regarding the billing. After researching with our Controller here on property and Ms. Golston, there was some confusion with the taxes. It was our mistake and I sincerely apologize.

If you have any questions on what happened, our Controller can explain the exact math to the penny on what happened. I know this was frustrating and I do apologize for the inconvenience. It has been addressed with our Front Office and Accounting team so that it does not happen again.

Again, please do not hesitate to call if you have any questions at all.

Thank you again for your feedback and once again I sincerely apologize.

Warm Regards,
Columbus, Ohio, United States
Reviewed 1 December 2013

I was at the Marriott Plaza San Antonio hotel for a board meeting over three days. The staff were all very friendly and helpful. Check-in was disappointing because the room keycard writer was broken, all the managers were in a meeting and the facilities maintenance people would not reply to her calls. The check-in clerk did what she could but was stuck because nothing worked. After waiting a good hour or more, they gave me a room with NO keys yet. I had to go back later to get them. A person in my group had an issue with getting assigned a room with someone already in it, and another found a cockroach in their bathroom. The workout room was small and stuffy, and the equipment needed some work (some were not functioning). Dining room was very good although on the pricey side. Food was fresh and tasty. The location is really good though, only a short walk to the River Walk area with a wealth of options to eat and shop. Overall, the hotel was "okay" but really not outstanding.

Room Tip: Ask for a higher room if you prefer a good view of the area.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Maria M, General Manager at Marriott Plaza San Antonio, responded to this review, 4 December 2013
Dear James V.,

Thank you for sharing your feedback on your recent stay with us. I am happy to read that you personally enjoyed your stay.

In reading your comments I was very concerned and hope you encourage your colleagues to reach out to myself or our Front Office Manager, if they have not done so already. I am 100% positive if those occurred we have already addressed any concerns. Although we strive to perfection, there are things that happen. When anything does, we want to work with each guest until we find resolution.

We share our reviews with our entire team, so the feedback on your arrival was shared with out team. I apologize for any inconvenience and please know these are addressed.

I thank you for our feedback, as it only helps us improve as a team.

Thank you again for staying with us and Happy Holidays!

Wheeling, WV
Reviewed 22 November 2013

We stayed three nights at the Marriott Plaza San Antonio in Mid-November. My husband had a conference at the hotel, and afterward we stayed another two nights to sightsee. Our room was very large, with a vaulted ceiling that made it seem even larger. The beds were very comfortable. The room was kept very clean and was well maintained. We had a good size balcony and took advantage of the warm temperatures to sit outside on several occasions. The bathroom was large and clean, with probably the best shower head I've had the pleasure to experience.

My overall rating would have been excellent if free wi-fi had been available in the guest room. It is a pet peeve of mine that higher end hotels such as Marriotts, Hiltons, etc. charge over $10 per day for wireless access, while mid-priced hotels, such as Hamptons, Holiday Inns, etc. provide wi-fi for free in the guest rooms. On the positive side, they did allow guests to check in for flights and print boarding passes in the business center. The last Marriott I stayed in even charged for use of the computer in the business center. There was free wi-fi in the lobby, which we took advantage of.

The hotel lobby was lovely, and very comfortable to spend time in to use the wi-fi. There is also beautiful garden area just off the lobby, where the pool is located. We enjoyed watching the beautiful peacocks strutting around the gardens.

The staff at this hotel were all very professional, friendly and helpful. This was especially evident in the hotel restaurant. This is a very nice place to enjoy a meal in a relaxing and lovely setting.

The hotel is within easy walking distance of the Riverwalk and Alamo, very convenient!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear LibraLady,

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience at our Marriott. It is our pleasure to be of service and I am so happy to read that you had a great stay.

I apologize for the WIFI charge. We do offer complimentary internet in the lobby and business center. I am glad you were able to use those. You never know when Marriott will change that and I think they are working on a new solution for the near future. Thank you so much for your feedback.

I am so thrilled to read that the staff you encountered was professional and friendly. I know they want each guest to have a great experience and will help make that happen any way they can.

Thank you again for choosing to stay with us and for sharing your experience.

Warm Wishes,
Elm Grove
Reviewed 22 November 2013

Stayed here for 5 nites for my birthday in October celebration, (10-9 to 10-16). We always go to a different city and stay at a Marriott property for my birthday. We had never been to Texas so we decided it would be fun to go to San Antonio. I researched all of the Marriott properties in San Antonio and I am very glad I decided to stay at the Marriott Plaza. I am a platnium rewards member so I expect to be upgraded and this property did not disappoint. I requested a room on the congiere floor with a balcony facing the pool. The front desk made sure this request was honored. They even let us change rooms when the first room we were assigned didn't have a good view of the pool area. We really like drinking bottles of wine on our balcony and people watching. Everybody treated us like we were very special. Thurston arranged to have champagne and a cheese plate sent to our room since it was my birthday. He also took the time to drive us to the restaurant where we were going to celebrate my birthday. He is a very special man and is very good at his job.

Loved the location of the hotel, the pool area and gardens and the congierge lounge. The only negative was the parking fee. It looked like there were several lots near to this hotel where we could have parked if we would have taken the time to research it. Also, I have to agree with one of the other reviews that said the congierge lounge needed to be cleaned and restocked on the weekend. I went into the lounge on Sunday morning and it was a complete mess. Garbage was everywhere and it needed to be restocked. I let one of the mangers know and it was cleaned by Sunday night but it was not restocked.

Room Tip: Get a balcony room facing the pool area on a high floor.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Maria M, General Manager at Marriott Plaza San Antonio, responded to this review, 2 December 2013
Dear Barbara,

Thank you for choosing to come and visit us in San Antonio here at the Marriott Plaza, especially for something as special as a birthday getaway. Thank you also for your loyalty as a Marriott Rewards Platinum member and always choosing Marriott wherever your travels take you.

I am absolutely delighted you had a wonderful stay with us and you received everything just as you expected. I will be sure to share your feedback with our team and with Thurston. He is amazing and always looks for opportunities to surprise our guests, especially when he knows they are celebrating something special. I am so happy this was a wonderful and memorable stay.

Being downtown we do charge for our parking. I am sorry if this caused any inconvenience. There are several lots around the hotel. Most charge each time you go in and out. Again, I apologize for any inconvenience.

Thank you again for choosing to stay with us and for taking the time to share your feedback.

Happy Birthday for all of us at the Marriott Plaza San Antonio!