“Last year was excellent 2013. This year a huge disappointment 2014!”

Marriott Plaza San Antonio
Ranked #68 of 354 Hotels in San Antonio
Schertz, Texas, Usa
“Last year was excellent 2013. This year a huge disappointment 2014!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 April 2014

I'm a blogger on Marriott, Trip Advisor and Social Media (FB and twitter), for all the great things Marriott has been and for any poor accommodations. First of all, we felt in love with Marriott Plaza. It's a beautiful, relaxing, convenient for our needs when we stay there in April. This year was totally an unpleasant one. I am a Gold Member but never once were we ever treated like one or even recognized as one. Upon arrival we were informed we could not get any room keys due to their system currently down and "just go upstairs to your room and someone would be up there to let us in". At first, we thought okay no big deal, things happen. A front desk agent showed up and escorted us into the room. She informed us we had no wifi which we knew that would impact my husband and trying to take care of our business emails but she did state they were currently working on it. We left to attend some festivities and returned AT&T system still down at 10:30pm and wouldn't be up till the next day. So now that only meant my husband had to travel to our Military Base 45 mins away to handle all emails. Huge inconvenience. On that evening around 10:30pm we stopped to pickup our room keys and sure enough both keys weren't working to get into our room on the 6th floor, so here we go down to informed them and they reactive keys. We went upstairs to our 6th room, one key worked and the other didn't. We were too tired to let them know about one key not working again. So the good key my husband took with him while he went to look for some ice, no ice available in the 5th floor so then looked for ice in the 4th floor concierge but had no access with the good key to find ice, apparently he found ice. Now the morning of the 23rd I went to concierge level to go have breakfast, sure enough my room key that was given to us would not allow me to go in. I had no access now on day two. So no breakfast for that morning since I went at 10:15am and it would be shutdown at 10:30. Went back to my room with the Good Key and sure enough key wasn't working at this point I had no option to go to the lobby and get another key. That same day an event was occurring some sales reps invited us to attend. That was very nice and so were the sales reps. We started telling one of the reps what had occurred he apologize and offered to give one of my guest that I had invited and booked and paid for their room and wanted to return on Friday they could extend their stay with the same current rate. Thank you much greatly appreciated. Because one of the front desk managers (Nicole or Nikki) surely was very frustrated and knowing everything that already had occurred was not willing to help us out. Well sure enough after all this our TV kept losing signal and would go out, an engineer went up and stated he couldn't find anything going on. He said if it continues just to call downstairs. We were there for 5 days and it happened everyday. We gave up! The pool was dirty Told the front desk and said they would get someone to go clean it. Day 3, Day 4, Day 5. A total of number of times 17 TIMES our keys wouldn't work, 3 attempts to concierge. 2 missed breakfasts, one manager with an attitude, one asst manager said "it's excepted" our respond was to her comment but this many times is really uncalled for. One employee who was ever nice to us stated she was called in on her day off, and she felt our frustration and a front desk rep who tried using her master key to the concierge couldn't even get in yourself. But after all of things she offered 3000 points (my thoughts really!). Lastly forgot to mention I finally had to contact Marriott Customer Care I believe it was day three our bed sheets were never change and wonder if they were ever change before we checked in, I informed the customer care was already was too embarrassed to even complain and exhausted to mention anymore to front desk. We never got upgraded, nor concierge access. I address this to your hotel as I mention we love the location and surely hope this doesn't happen to anyone and doesn't happen again for next April. It's just ashamed that one of Corporate offices is San Antonio and this occurs here. Whereas we travel around the world and treated with respect and happy they have us as customers. Why is it International Marriott's go above and beyond? I do have pictures of TV not working, dirty pool if needed

Room Tip: City View and must let them know your an elite member
Green Features: Could go above and beyond and offer recognition to Elite members
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank AFRIBBONS
Maria M, General Manager at Marriott Plaza San Antonio, responded to this review, 30 April 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience on Trip Advisor. I sincerely apologize that your experience was not what it was merely a year ago. I do not think this is the norm for our hotel as expressed in several other reviews but your experience greatly concerns me. As a Marriott and my expectations were not met and for that, I again, sincerely regret we have disappointed you in any way.

For the key issues you experienced, we had just experienced a system outage. All internet systems were down for over 24 hours and we did have some programming issues when all systems were brought back up. We absolutely know this was extremely frustrating for our guests and for us as well. The system has now been resolved. With technology, any outage is catastrophic to our operation. I do not want to make excuses and I am so sorry we did not handle the situation better in our response to you.

I will be meeting with our Front Office Management team to review the response as again, this is not meet my expectations. I am happy to read that the sales team was helpful and accommodating. That is our goal with each of our interaction with every member of our team. I only wish we did not have a system outage and I know your experience would have been completely different.

I do hope that you give us another chance to make up for this experience. If you choose to, please contact me directly and I will personally handle your reservations. If you wish to discuss your stay further, please don't hesitate to give me a call.

Again, my sincerest apologies and thank you for taking the time to share your feedback so that I may address your concerns.

Always At Your Service,

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (202)
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 April 2014

The staff was very accomodating and service was exceptional. I stayed at the Marriott Plaza on a mini vacation and was so happy and relaxed there that I was sad to have to check out. Clean rooms and great service is what sets this hotel above the rest. I will definitly plan another trip there in the near future. Really enjoyed my stay.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Maria M, General Manager at Marriott Plaza San Antonio, responded to this review, 28 April 2014
Dear Steve M.,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience during your recent stay at the Marriott Plaza San Antonio. I am so delighted you enjoyed your mini vacation and thank you so much for choosing to stay at our Marriott. Thank you so much for the accolades for the service you received and I will be sure to share it with our entire team.

Thank you again for your feedback and we look forward to serving you in the future.

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 April 2014

The staff in the restaurant, at the front desk, housekeeping,security, and banquet staff were fabulous to work with, very accommodating and friendly. However, the management staff doesn't seem to be very organized. We had a military reunion there in April and had to deal with 9 different people to get everything set up. They have big titles but no authority, they always have to ask someone else for the approval. If you ask a question you always get the response, "I'll get back to you on that" , but we always had to follow up with another call to them. We were promised things from the sales person then it was left out of the contract and when noted we were told not to worry we would still get as promised, NOT SO, one person tells you one thing but as said, no authority to enforce. We told them to increase our attendance for the buffet but they forgot to tell the banquet staff, they charged us for the original count, not complaining there, that was to our favor. We are just glad we had enough food for the extra people. As a side note, the food is excellent. Some of our people were told, after the cutoff date for the special room rate, that they could not get a room for the special price so they went to a lower priced hotel, yet another person arrived at the hotel the day of the reunion and got the special price! Some of our people were charged for parking, others were not. This is our tenth reunion and never have we had this much trouble working with a hotel, so if you do a contract here, get all small details in the contract because they go strictly by it, don't take their word on anything. We had all the headaches but our group had a great time and loved the general working staff.

• Stayed April 2014
Maria M, Director of Sales at Marriott Plaza San Antonio, responded to this review, 21 April 2014
Thank you for taking the time to give us your gift of feedback. Your comments are taken constructively and will assist us in improving our guest satisfaction.

Please accept our sincere apology for the delay in response and the lack of follow through in relaying your Catering changes. We too are very disappointed that your expectations were not meet and are regretful that you had a less than perfect experience with us. Our lack of immediate response during your planning process was unacceptable and is now an area of focus in order for us to improve.

We hope that extending your room block and accepting your group rate beyond the contracted cut off date was helpful to your attendees. Unfortunately we were unable to extend it any further once we were in a sell out position. I am pleased to read the food was wonderful and so was the service. You have my commitment to work on the other items mentioned.
We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the Marriott Plaza.

Doreen Patino
Director of Sales & Marketing
Marriott Plaza
Dallas, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 April 2014 via mobile

Stayed here again after many trips to San Antonio. Like this property due to its location and the staff who treat you like a welcome guest. Rooms are clean, comfortable. This property has old world charm and character, including the peacocks in the courtyard that roam freely. The mom just had three chicks that follow her everywhere and the dad follows them with his plume extended to protect the family from guests who get too close. Beware of staying in a room near their cage; they can get quite vocal during the early morning hours. Hotel location is very good, close to the convention center and many good restaurants that are within walking distance, from the several good choices to the south of Cesar Chavez to the choices along the Riverwalk to the North. Rates are reasonable and this property is my favorite marriott downtown amongst the three.

Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Dear Warren B.,

Thank you so much for your review of your recent stay with us. I was so excited to read that we are your favorite San Antonio Marriott. It is truly our pleasure to be of service and we are all thrilled with your comments. Thank you so much for the accolades.

The property is very unique and does have that old San Antonio charm. I know those little Pea-Chicks steal the show too. They are adorable and really are fun to watch.

Thank you so much for your review and I am really delighted you enjoyed the hotel and San Antonio. We can't wait to see you during your next trip.

Warm Wishes,
Austin, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 April 2014

Love the ambiance of the hotel. Ask for an upper floor with a view of the pool and the peacocks. Would have given it a 5 star except for the food. Do not get the tortilla soup - it tastes like it came out of a can of stewed tomatoes with tortilla strips thrown on top.

Room Tip: Upper floor, facing pool and peacocks
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Trish A.,

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your review of your recent stay. I am so happy that overall you had a great stay. Thank you for your feedback regarding the soup at the restaurant. This has been passed along to our Chef to research. I appreciate you letting me know so we can look at this right away.

I do hope you had a lovely time in San Antonio and hope to see you again during your next visit and try our perfected tortilla soup!

Thank you again for your feedback!

Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 April 2014

First time to this hotel, location is close to downtown and riverwalk. Front desk associates were very helpful, facility is clean and quiet. Room was clean and comfortable on 2nd floor. Will stay here again when coming back to town.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Dear John S.,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us at the Marriott Plaza. I am so happy to read you had a wonderful stay and thank you for sharing your experience. I am so pleased our team was helpful and friendly. Navigating around cities can be an experience and they do a great job at making sure we can assist whenever and however we can.

Thank you so much for sharing your experience and we hope to see you during your next stay in San Antonio!

Atlanta
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 April 2014

This Marriott is a typical, reliable Marriott that I stayed at for three nights to attend a seminar. This building and the furnishings look a bit tired and could use some refurbishing, and the heat/air was noisy as it cycled on and off throughout the night. I also heard street noise
I arrived just as the NCAA basketball regional tournament folks and a cheerleader convention were leaving. Despite the packed house, my room was ready as promised and was spotless. Ok, there was one bobby pin on the floor that hadn't been picked up, but that's the only thing I found.
It's very close to the convention center and about two-three blocks from Riverwalk with ballrooms for meetings and a couple of smaller historic outbuildings for receptions. The food served to our group was hearty and delicious, especialy the flan made in-house. I found the customer service to be the biggest benefit of this hotel. Everyone, from the housekeeper to the wait staff to the front desk folks went out of their way to meet my needs. Here's a good example: I prefer Coke products, but Marriott is a Pepsi establishment. One evening, I ordered a diet soft drink with room service, and expressed my disappointment about the Pepsi. When my order was delivered, it included not one, not two, but three cans of Diet Coke, enough for my entire stay. I found out that one of the employees had given me the Diet Cokes from her own personal stash. Very thoughtful!

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the oppostive side from the street and convention center
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Zinfandelover
Dear Zinfandelover,

I wanted to thank you for taking your time to share your experience and feedback during your recent stay at the Marriott Plaza San Antonio. I am delighted that almost everything was wonderful during your stay and that the ambiance of the hotel and service was wonderful. I have shared your feedback with you entire team.

The hotel is amazing and has wonderful history attached to it. It fits right in with all the amazing historical sights San Antonio has to offer. Sitting on 6.5 acres of lush grounds, it is amazing it is right down town.

I am again, so happy you had a wonderful stay. Thank you for all your comments and feedback. It is truly a pleasure to be of service and we always want to continue to be even better.

We hope to see you during your next trip to San Antonio!