“Not ideal location, but interesting hotel ”

Marriott Plaza San Antonio
Ranked #74 of 356 Hotels in San Antonio
Ramsey, New Jersey
“Not ideal location, but interesting hotel ”
Reviewed 21 June 2014 via mobile

I stayed at this hotel for a conference. It does not look like a traditional Marriott in that much of it is reminiscent of a Holiday Inn or Hampton Inn or maybe even a Days Inn. I would say it is not particularly luxurious but it has a neat feel to it. There is a courtyard with peacocks roaming free and there is an interesting open air layout in the hotel entry area.

My big disappointment with this hotel was that it was a walk to attractions. Please don't get me wrong - it wasn't a long walk to the Alamo or the Riverwalk or restaurants or shopping; however, I would have preferred to step out of my hotel and be right in the middle of things and not have to walk 5-10 blocks.

Overall, this was a fine hotel but if you want to feel pampered and be closer to what's going on in SA, you may want to consider other options.

Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
Nikki G, Front Office Manager at Marriott Plaza San Antonio, responded to this review, 23 June 2014
Dear MsEBandMrVB,

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience with us. One of the things that sets us apart from the other hotels in the area is our location, being we are not right in the heart of downtown but still close enough to walk to. We sit on 6.5 acres of beautiful lush gardens and courtyards. With original houses from La Villita and a beautiful pool area; it really feels like an oasis.

While we are not as close as you would like to be in the downtown area I hope that you will give us another opportunity to serve you.

Thank you so much for sharing your experience and I hope to see you during your next trip to San Antonio.

Always At Your Service

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (210)
New York
Reviewed 19 June 2014 via mobile

I stayed here primarily to attend a conference and brought my wife as well. From the moment we checked in every member of the staff we encountered were not only courteous but extremely delightful. This made us feel very welcome and it stands out for me as well as my wife.

The pool is very nice and it feels more like an oasis. The staff had towels set on the lounge chairs and it was a nice touch when you arrive. Food in the main restaurant and in the concierge lounge meet my expectations.

The walk to the Riverwalk was not far at all.

We had a room on a top floor that had a vaulted ceiling and plenty of space so you do not feel claustrophobic. Even though our stay was for less than a week we could imaging staying here for a lengthy stay.

Would I return here - YES. If I ever return to stay this will be my first and only choice.

Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank K_d_Social_One
Maria M, General Manager at Marriott Plaza San Antonio, responded to this review, 20 June 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience with us. I am delighted that you and your wife had a wonderful time during your conference. Thank you so much for your accolades for our team. I will be sure to share your review with our entire team. We genuinely want to exceed our guest’s expectations and make sure they have a memorable experience.

I was so happy to read you enjoyed the pool and the grounds of the hotel. I agree that it feed like an oasis. It is beautiful and it is hard to believe we are right downtown, still close to everything.

Thank you so much for sharing your review and I look forward to having the pleasure to serve you again in the future.

Reviewed 28 May 2014

What a pleasant surprise to find this resort like hotel in the heart of the city. One feels as if you are miles away, yet the location is ideal for tourism and business. It is a warm and inviting retreat. The courtyard and lobby are inviting......and staff very helpful including the concierge lounge. The halls are showing a bit of wear and rooms are typical Marriott...............but again it is a very inviting and relaxing hotel. I would stay there again.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Maria M, General Manager at Marriott Plaza San Antonio, responded to this review, 4 June 2014
Dear DMMGTM,

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your review of your recent stay with us. I sincerely appreciate the feedback.

I am delighted to read that you enjoyed the grounds at the hotel. It is truly a unique setting, being on 6.5 acres of land, right in the middle of downtown. I am always happy to ready that our guests find it very relaxing and enjoyable. I am also thrilled that the service you received was wonderful, especially the concierge. I will share this feedback with our entire team.

Thank you for your comments regarding the hallways and I will share this as well.

I hope to see you the next time you visit San Antonio and please do not hesitate to let me know should you have any other suggestions on how we can better improve.

Reviewed 27 May 2014

Stayed here for a girlfriend's 40th birthday party. Overall a clean hotel. I am a Marriott member but lost all my status about five years ago when I stopped traveling for work. It was a nice treat to have fruit/cheese plate in my room. That was extremely nice of them. The rooms are large and comfortable. I love their pillows. I may ask for one for my birthday, as they are the best pillows. Room had a little refrigerator. Bathroom is all in one. Sink, toilet and shower all in the bathroom. I had a nice room looking the courtyard. The have a beautiful peacock in the courtyard. Parking is a bit high. $25 a night for self. The front desk staff is matter a fact. Not that friendly but not rude. Breakfast buffet is located at the hotel. One of the other girls still is platinum with Marriott so that was included in her room. A short three block walk to the riverwalk. Never felt in danger come and going from the hotel. Pool area is nice. Overall a typical Marriott. Staff could be a tad friendlier but they get the job done. The guys out front are nice as is the breakfast crew. If back in town will look them up again.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Maria M, General Manager at Marriott Plaza San Antonio, responded to this review, 30 May 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your review on Trip Advisor. I am pleased that you had a nice stay and you enjoyed the welcome amenity for being our Guest of the Day! We randomly choose guests to honor and show our appreciation for choosing to stay with us.

Thank you for your feedback regarding the parking. Being downtown, the majority of hotels charge and we always make sure we are competitive for our guests. Thank you for your understanding.

Thank you again for sharing your experience and I hope you all had a wonderful time with your friend for her birthday.

Idalou, Texas
Reviewed 19 May 2014 via mobile

A brief walk to the Alamo and Riverwalk, this hotel feels closer to a remote resort than a downtown hotel. The grounds are lovely and welcoming. It's location was the primary reason of choice along with the excellent pool since we traveled with children. My only disappointment was that our room was located next to elevator. I quickly realised we would hear the rumble of the elevator all night. I requested a different room and was promptly brought keys to a quiet room. Our quiet room never got cold at night, which I usual enjoy about hotels. However, it was still a pleasant though brief stay.

• Stayed May 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you so much for sharing your review and thank you for staying with us during your visit to San Antonio. I am pleased to read we were able to relocate you to a prefered location. We always do our best to be able to accomodate every request. Thank you for letting us know, so that we could move you somewhere more comfortable.

I am so pleased you had a great visist and I love reading that you enjoyed our beautiful grounds. I agree, it is like an oasis. We sit on 6.5 acres of beautiful lush gardens and courtyards. With original houses from La Villita and a beautiful pool area; it really feels like an oasis.

Reviewed 16 May 2014 via mobile

We booked a night stay at the marriott plaza san antonio last minute for our daughters UTSA graduation ceremony. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay. It was very convenient for us and we absolutely love the location. The hotel in itself was very nice. Definitely its own oasis and we enjoyed watching those beautiful peacocks. Bridget and the staff at the Marriott were very accommodating and made sure we enjoyed our stay. We cannot wait for our next extended visit this summer at this hotel!

Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you so much for sharing your experience and thank you for choosing to stay with us during such an exiciting time for you. Congratulations on your daughters graduation. That is awesome! Thank you for your accolades of Bridget and our team. Bridget is one of our amazing leaders at the hotel and genuinely wants eachs guests stay to me one to remember. Our whole team strives to not only meet but exceed our guests expectations and I am delighted you had a wonderful stay.

Thank you again for your review and I hope to see you the next time you visit San Antonio!

Reviewed 13 May 2014

My husband and I went to San Antonio for our anniversary. I like staying at Marriott hotels because there are no surprises. The rooms and hotel have always been great. The Marriott Plaza was awesome. We had a very spacious room with a king bed and a balcony. I've never stayed at a hotel with a balcony so this was a great treat. After a day of walking along the Riverwalk it was nice to set on the balcony and relax. The view was amazing with all the trees and a view of some of the taller buildings in the downtown area. Our room was on the 5th floor and near the pool area and there wasn't very many people at the pool that late at night. The pool area was lit up with soft lights and it made everything feel so peaceful. We loved the hotel and wished we had time to stay another day.

When you walk out the door to the hotel and turn left, you can walk about 1-1/2 blocks and see a sign for the Riverwalk. You take the stairs down and you are directly on the Riverwalk. It was very convenient and nice to not have to find a place to park the car.

Speaking of parking, there is a $25 charge to park your car at the hotel. If you want valet to park it the cost is $35. You use your room key to get access to the parking lot and to leave the lot.

The only reason I didn't give the hotel a rating of five is due to what we saw in the elevator. There was dried blood on one wall inside of the elevator and on the frame around the door when it opened for the lobby. We saw the blood the night we stayed there and it was still there the next morning when we checked out. Other than that incident, the hotel was perfect.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a balcony. You won't regret it!!