“Pretty good hotel, maybe not for the price though”

Marriott Plaza San Antonio
Ranked #71 of 358 Hotels in San Antonio
Omaha, Nebraska
“Pretty good hotel, maybe not for the price though”
Reviewed 17 October 2006

The hotel is a pretty good location if you don't want to stay right on the riverwalk. It's probably a few minutes walk to the Riverwalk and Alamo, not bad at all.

I got this hotel on Priceline for $120 a night and that's probably a fair price. The $170 on their website seems a little high. Upon arrival, we requested a king size bed, and they did upgrade us to a king. The bed was pretty comfortable and the bathroom was clean.

We were able to park on their lot for $16 a day (plus another $1.30 in taxes!), which seemed a little high, but there's not really much other parking in the area, and it seemed silly to put it in a garage just to save $5.

No complaints about the noise through the walls. It was a Thursday night and we didn't come across any noise from around us.

• Liked — Upgrade to King bed - no problem
  • Disliked — Parking
2 Thank SimonRufus

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (212)
Austin, TX
Reviewed 9 October 2006

My husband and I stayed here for the Columbus Day weekend. They have an excellent military rate. We booked two nights, but only stayed one. Upon our arrival the staff was very friendly. Check in was smooth but when we arrived at our non-smoking room, it reaked of cigarette smoke. We were quickly given another room on the first floor with much apology. Our second room met our expectations, only the staff had not replaced the soaps in the bathroom and one of the lights was not working. These problems were quickly remedied with a call to the front desk. All was well until later in the evening when we noticed we could hear everything in the hallway, even conversations between people. At 1am when guests began coming home from the bars we were awoken to the sounds of our neighbors talking and their shower running. Early in the morning we were again woken because of noise from the hallway. I would not recommend a stay here if you plan to get any sleep. The walls are far to thin.

• Liked — the room was very spacious
  • Disliked — the thin walls
  • Tips/Secrets — don't stay here if you want to sleep
4 Thank jlv225
Fort Worth, TX
Reviewed 4 September 2006

My wife and I did a 2 day get away to this hotel right in the heart of the Riverwalk area. It was a very nice facility overall. Pool area was really nice with plush surroundings and peacocks walking around the courtyard. I was bothered when told it would cost an additional $16 to stay in their parking area. At the end of our stay it never showed up as a charge so I don't know what happened. It could have been for valet parking which we did not use. Service during the evening hours wasn't the best. Just trying to get desert and a coffee at about 9:30 pm took some time, but it finally came. I would highly reccommend the chocolate cake with the raspberry sauce dripped over it. Breakfast was also nice, but about $23 for two of us. The Blueberry Pancakes were enough for two people and they were excellent as well. Overall not a bad deal at $132 per night.

• Liked — Location relevant to destination of RIver Walk
  • Disliked — Possibility of hotel charging $16 per day for parking.
  • Tips/Secrets — Check various avenues for best rates.
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank GodWillMakeAWay
Mount Airy, Maryland
Reviewed 31 August 2006

Stayed 3 nights at this older, yet clean and comfortable hotel. There is onsite self-parking for a daily fee, which I did not mind, and the in-room movies are great for a lower-key evening after dinner or an outting on the Riverwalk. The recent Marriott bedding upgrade has won me over, since the down comforters & pillows, the cotton sheets, and the luxurious mattress make my stay comfortable and help ensure that I will sleep well. My room was at the back of the hotel, near the green courtyard. Very quiet. The pool area is nice, too. I had no problem with noise from either the guests, staff or exotic birds. And no bad smells, as some have posted. Room service meals (breakfast) are expensive, but that seems to be the norm at most Marriotts. While the Marriott Plaza San Antonio is not on the riverwalk -- it's just a few blocks away -- I would stay here again.

Stayed August 2006
1 Thank SAVisitor
Austin, TX
Reviewed 14 August 2006

Our 11 year old daughter had a 2 day golf tournament so we decided to make a weekend of it, rather than drive back & forth from Austin.

We were greeted by the most cheerful & personable valet. Throughout our stay, whenever we returned from the golf course he always inquired as to how she did for the day and always had a positive comment for her. You could tell he really cared about the guests.

We only have positive things to say about the entire staff. All requests were acted on in a timely manner.

The pool was an essential after being on the golf course in 102 degrees. The pool side bar was great and the bartender was sweet to add 4 cherries to our daughters Shirley Temple (she was thrilled!!). The pool is surrounded by taller trees which helped shade it later in the day. We did wish that the hot tub had more jets to soothe the aching muscles & joints, but the hot water did help. The surroundings were very enjoyable with a stepped down waterfall next to the hot tub and comfortable chaise lounges. If the sun had been an issues we could have used one of the many cabanas to shield the sun.

The rooms were very Marriot. I love the bedding. The linens & pillows were fabulous, although our bed could have used a new mattress since it was indented in the middle. It wasn't too bad, but I'm not used to that at a Marriott.

The tennis courts looked very inviting, but a sore knee from walking the golf course stopped us from playing and we opted for more time at the pool instead.

The location is excellent. A short walk to the Riverwalk and closer to the La Villita and across the street from Hemishere Park, but best yet, you don't have the noise. Also, the location is easy access in and out to I-37. That way you don't have to mess with all the traffic.

The fee for internet access is a disappointment, some day Marriott will include this as many city go to free wifi like Austin has in the downtown area. Oh well. I guess they feel most company's will pick up the fee. I would be nice if they went to free internet access on weekends.

The conceige was a big help with dining options and making reservations.

All in all I'm sure we'll be back at a time when it isn't so hot.

• Liked — Staff & location
  • Disliked — Mattress was indented although not terribly, just not up to Marriott standards
  • Stayed August 2006, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank Thegolfingfamily
SE Michigan
Reviewed 21 June 2006

My wife and I stayed at the Marriott Plaza San Antonio over a long weekend in mid-June. We had considered the two Marriotts right on the Riverwalk, but were concerned about their "big box" feel and wanted something quieter and more relaxing. By staying at the Plaza, we were rewarded with a quiet hotel with beautiful grounds, (which includes historic buildings) a friendly staff, and a large room by most standards. The hotel is only a block from the outdoor Arneson Theatre and the artisans' enclave La Villita (both right on the Riverwalk). It is also directly across the street from HemisFair Park and the Tower of the Americas.
If you suffer from Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder, having peacocks and other birds freely roaming the hotel grounds will send you into overdrive. They can be noisy, particularly in the morning. However, it is still quieter than listening to throngs of people on the Riverwalk until 2:00 AM.
The only real negative about the hotel was the lack of a functioning Concierge Lounge. The lounge exists, but was undergoing "repair" according to hotel management. The staff tried to compensate by offering continental breakfast coupons, which doesn't quite measure up.
All in all, this was one of the more pleasant hotel stays my wife and I have enjoyed. We'll definitely be back!

• Stayed June 2006
3 Thank MI_TravelFreq
Portland
Reviewed 25 May 2006

The three fountains that that feed a water feature by the pool (that people lounge in) is full of mounds of bird crap at the bottom of the fountains from all of the pigeons that come to drink, bathe, and then eat the food that is meant for the peacocks and phesants that run around and take dumps everywhere. The peacocks make deafening honks and meeoww sounds at the crack of dawn and continue doing this all day. There are also doves cooing at 5:00 a.m. on your balcony. So don't expect to sleep in. There is one pop machine (they say there is another one on the 7th floor but there isn't.). The one they do have ran out of Diet Pepsi last Sunday. I told the front desk clerk about it that day but it's still empty today (Thursday).

The pool water is cloudy and there's always a bunch of leaves and junk in the water. The room smells weird when you walk in like some icky rose air freshener.

In a nushell, this place is dirty, tired, dumpy and I was very surprised this meets the Marriott's standards.

• Stayed May 2006