“Hotel cheated military family out of money, and caused us a lot of grief.”

Marriott Plaza San Antonio
Ranked #73 of 357 Hotels in San Antonio
Reviewed 12 April 2010

I recently stayed at this hotel with my boyfriend, his brother and parents. Our experience here was HORRIBLE. Problem 1: I arrived at 11:30 a.m. and did the "pre check-in" with an associate that wasn't an assistant manager (the manager took the whole weekend off and was unavailable) and she informed me that because their check-in wasn't until 4 pm that this was the best way to get into our rooms as quickly as possible. (Keep in mind check-OUT was noon). After eating lunch and enjoying the Riverwalk, we arrived back at the hotel at 5:30 and were told our rooms were not ready. So we waited another hour and finally were given rooms by 6:45/7:00. They did end up comping our parking for the inconvinience only after we strongly suggested it. Problem 2: the next morning we go to check out and are told that our bill per room was 60$ more than we were quoted by reservations. The hotel claimed that they did not have a military discount for the night we stayed even though the booking was over the phone and we were quoted the military rate. To make matters worse, the associate helping us was completely rude and disrespectful about the situation. Then we are still out of the money because neither the hotel nor reservations for Mariott is being held accountable, and apparantly the recording of the conversation between my boyfriend and the reservations booker was "lost". So now all the evidence they have is paper saying we owe 186$ per room, and no taped conversation to back us up. This hotel screwed us over.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank pilotsgrl

Reviewed 8 April 2010

I found a source for kosher food. They delivered the box to the hotel so it was there when I arrived. The hotel kept the box in their walk-in refrigerator. When I wanted a meal, someone in the hotel restaurant would bring out the box. I'd make my selection and they would heat it in their microwave and bring it out to me. There was no charge for this service and it made my stay in the hotel more pleasant.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 5 April 2010

Conveniently located to Alamo and Riverwalk, hotel staff attentive and fast to respond on any request. Rooms are well appointed (even flat tv), eventhough the hotel is not something very new. Now... here comes the big NO NO... $21 self parking is just unacceptable to me in a what is supposed to be a 4 star hotel, it doesn't matter where the hell it is, not for hotel guests. Simply because of that (which I believe is a big factor) my rating dropped from 4 to 3. Recommended only if you are willing to pay $21 a day for self-parking.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 1 April 2010

Looking for a value, I booked my stay on Priceline. I got a fairly good deal for under $100 a night. I arrived at the hotel tonight and the first surprise was the $21 nightly parking fee. There is a public garage a few blocks away for $8. I recommend it... It is a nice walk to the hotel! Later, I tried to check my email from the room...WAIT another gouge...$13 daily for internet access! Most hotels at LEAST offer free access in the lobby... NOPE. I am writing this review from the crappy computer in the business center. I do like the balcony... I am surprised that they do not put a swipe card on the door and charge you to access it. I have stayed elsewhere in SA before... Unless you like being NICKEL AND DIMED to death... AVOID THIS MARRIOTT!!!

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 26 March 2010

we got to the hotel around 3 pm and we were told to come back at 4 pm when the room will be ready, so we returned to the hotel at 5 pm room was not ready because they were still cleaning it, and we have to wait until 6:24 pm that somebody called my cell to let me know that room was ready, kids got really tired waiting and weather outside was really cold and windy, besides this I need some warm milk for my kids and they took about 20 minutes to warm up a cup of milk. Furthermore parking is very expensive. Although is was a clean hotel and close to riverwalk We are not going back to this hotel.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 12 March 2010

First, I could check in 4 hours early - Bonus 1!

When I checked in early, the woman at the front desk upgraded me to a concierge room - Bonus 2! The people working in the concierge lounge, Scott and Luis, were both excellent and very upbeat. The maintenance person I met fixing the door to the lounge was positive and very helpful.They helped make my day.

The only mediocre service I think was from the housekeeper. S/he made the bed poorly, not smoothing out the sheets and it was not crisply done. While this may seem very minor, it was not up to Marriott standards.

Unfortunately, there is a charge for internet and telephone. Why, in today's world, do the higher end hotels charge for this? (I know, because they can.)

Manager responded right away to my comment card. He appears to want to be a top hotel in San Antonio.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 3 March 2010

This hotel is very clean and has easy access to the Riverwalk even though it is not right on it. I would have rated it higher, but I was extremely upset when I discovered a self parking fee of $21/day! Over a few days, that adds up! For self parking no less. I understand that space is limited, but when other parking lots mere feet away charge $6/day, that amount was outrageous!

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled as a couple