“Excellent hotel choice”

Ranked #75 of 356 Hotels in San Antonio
Edinburg, Texas
“Excellent hotel choice”
Reviewed 18 July 2012

I really enjoyed the location and the shuttle service that was provided by the hotel. We saved time and money thanks to the shuttle service. The room was clean and the service was great. Thank you to Sonia Soto and Cindy for making mine and my girlfriend's stay a memorable one.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
San Diego, California
Reviewed 6 July 2012

The Hotel was clean and the room accommodations were nice. Customer service was awesome in the breakfast area. My family and I were treated with the utmost respect and were catered to with joy. The breakfast staff was excellent and Sonia was absolutely refreshing! She made sure that we had everything we needed during breakfast and asked us about our room. She walked around talking to every table; she was sincere and funny.

My husband is in the U.S. Navy and he likes staying with the Doubletree because they are military friendly.

Overall, we had a great family vacation and our boys had a fun time at the pool! 2 thumbs up for the San Antonio, Texas Doubletree. :O)

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
DFW
Reviewed 3 July 2012

Loved this place. Nice atmosphere. Nice pool, bartender and lady that checked us in were very nice. They have a shuttle that leaves on the hour each hour that will take you to riverwalk. Only a 5 minute drive. I would certainly return here if I went back to SA. The rooms are nice, bathroom excellent, bed comfortable.

Room Tip: Booked on website, AAA discount....fabulous rate!!!
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
Morganton, North Carolina, United States
Reviewed 3 July 2012

The Staff & MRS. SONYA Are Awesome!!!!! VERY COMFORTABLE STAY!!! My Daughter was battling cancer last year & we couldn't take vacation because she was in the middle of treatments. The hotel management knew this was a very special trip for us, the went above and beyond to make it even more special!! We didn't encounter one problem, everything was so clean, people were so friendly.... we look so much forward to coming back!!! The DoubleTree will be the only place we stay =] Just wonderful!!!

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 29 June 2012

I stayed 2 nights with my family, everything was pretty nice, front desk personal was very friendly,room was nice & super clean, A/C worked great, nice TV & free HBO.. my teen daughters & my self enjoyed the small but nice pool, great housekeeping, room service was pretty nice too...hotel has a shuttle bus that runs to main downtown attractions every hour until 11 pm. so all we had to do was ride relax & have fun! My only complaint will be the 10 dollars a day for parking. I will definitely stay here again!

Room Tip: we stayed on 3rd floor had a view to the pool & no complaints at all our room was perfect!
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
Bristol, Tennessee
Reviewed 22 June 2012

I stayed here in order to attend a two-day seminar that was held in this hotel. The people who worked in the facility were nice; however, I did not care for this place for the following reasons:

1. The sleep number bed gave me a backache. I had no idea how uncomfortable they can be until I had to sleep on one for a few nights. This place needs rooms with regular beds!

2. The air conditioning system sucks! My room's air conditioner sounded like a small airplane taking off, and it did not cool the room very well. Sometimes the damn thing wouldn't even come on, even when the room was very warm.

3. The toilet paper was very rough - kind of like the toilet paper one might find in a McDonald's. I had to go to Wal-Mart just to get decent toilet paper.

4. The water pressure for my shower was laughable! In fact, it was so incredibly low that the lever that lifts on the bath tub would not even stay up, so the water would come out of the bathtub part instead of the shower nozzle. That was VERY annoying. How in the hell can anybody get clean with such low water pressure! It would have taken half the day for the water to fill up the bathtub.

5. Why is this facility charging people ten dollars per day for internet? It should be free. This is NOT a JW Marriott for Christ's sake!

6. The quality of food served in the restaurant was not good at all. I found a large black human hair in some chicken that I had ordered. The server was kind about this matter, but I'd prefer clean food!

7. The elevators are very slow. There were times when I had to wait over two minutes just for the elevator to pick me up on the first floor.

These issues are legitimate and need to be addressed - especially the lack of water pressure and the lousy AC units.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
, Guest Relations Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton San Antonio Downtown, responded to this review, 25 June 2012
We’re sorry we didn’t provide you with the quality of services and amenities you deserve at our hotel. Thank you for your feedback regarding our sleep number beds, water pressure and air conditioning units. We will improve our system during an upcoming renovation in the near future. We hope you’ll give us another chance if you return to the area.

Travellers are raving about these San Antonio hotels

DFW
Reviewed 21 June 2012

I was hesitant at first to book this hotel since we normally stay directly on the River Walk. One of my friends booked the hotel prior so we decided to give it a chance. I am really glad we did. The hotel is not within walking distance of the River Walk, but the San Antonio buses come by very frequently and are very nice, too. The parking is covered and easily accessed. I was attending an event at the Gonzales Convention Center. The staff was very helpful and friendly and the room was also very comfortable. We used the money we saved by not staying directly on the River Walk to eat out at more restaurants. Mi Tierra Restaurant near the hotel (short bus ride) in the market area was wonderful. It also has a bakery. The hotel has a pool that my wife enjoyed swimming in. My wife also had the breakfast, and she enjoyed it. I will definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: The staff will get you a fridge/microwave if they still have them. They did not charge us for our i...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled on business