DoubleTree by Hilton San Antonio Downtown
Ranked #87 of 357 Hotels in San Antonio
Reviewed 1 August 2014

Very nice facility. Pool water a little cloudy, but with probably hundreds of people in and out of it all day long, I am sure it is hard to keep it chlorinated enough. Would have liked a complementary breakfast instead of $12.00 breakfast buffet. Otherwise, top rate hotel.

Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton
Write a ReviewReviews (1,138)

Reviewed 30 July 2014

A very good stay, comfortable bed and pillows, very clean and plenty of towels. The check in and out process was fast and the people were very friendly and patient with all my questions, as well as provided all the needed information.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 28 July 2014

We stayed at the Double Tree last weekend while participating in a basketball tournament and it was one of the worst hotel experiences we've had. The water stopped working about 8:30 in the morning and we were not able to take a shower before the tournament, talk about uncomfortable. We called the front desk and they said maintenance would be up because no one else is having a problem with their water after waiting 45 minutes and having to leave we stopped by the front desk where we were then informed a water pump had went out. We didn't even get a courtesy call letting us know that was the case, when we were clearly the first to call and report the issue. Talk about Customer Service, lack thereof. Then when we get to the room in between games hoping to take a nap, only one of the beds were made the other was stripped to the mattress with the sheets and the comforter on the floor and the pillows on the other bed. There was only one towel so the towels had not been restocked and when we spoke with the front desk they were very nonchalant and insincere. I must say the shuttle drivers were the epitome GREAT! Very friendly and all about the customer. When we checked out the front desk didn't even bother to ask about our stay and once the survey was done and the GM contacted us he was very unbothered by our experience and the picture proof we sent. Needless to say we will not be staying at another Double Tree. $159 a night for the unprofessionalism and carelessness we had to endure, is unacceptable. I would not recommend this hotel to anyone! Stay at your own risk!

Room Tip: Not at this place. The rooms were small, musty, dingy and unappealing.
1  Thank LaurenAnon
Ruben C, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton San Antonio Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 29 July 2014

Dear Lauren N.

Thank you for your recent stay and the kind comments about our shuttle drivers. I was hopeful that I properly apologized and compensated you for the discomfort and inconvenience you described-clearly I failed. Please know that every gesture was indeed sincere.
Most Sincerely,

Reviewed 27 July 2014 via mobile

I had two rooms and both had problems. In one room the water went out and the shower wouldn't stay on forcing my dad to tie a washcloth around the spout to keep the shower going. His room was also hot and the super loud A/C wall unit offered no relief. I had a junior suit and the A/C wall unit was so loud I couldn't hear the television. I set it at 67 and it was probably 73 at most. The hotel is a 30 minute walk to the river walk and located across the street from the municipal court house, detention center, and several bail bonds.

• Stayed: July 2014

Dear Richard N:
Thank you for your recent visit and the kind ratings on our serve ice. The water pressure did indeed go down and we later learned it was caused by a broken main line in downtown San Antonio. Although the repairs were relatively quick -it simply is never quick enough when one is ready to shower. Regarding your comment "not as advertised" please do reach out to me as I want to fix any site or publication that misrepresents our hotel. No we are not on the Riverdale but are indeed downtown and very near the Market Square. We are directly across from UTSA's downtown campus that happens to be next to a police department, a courthouse and a bail bonds place. Our complimentary shuttle runs daily every hour from 8am to 10pm and it is a service we gladly provide as it keeps our guest from having to pay the high parking fees and allows them to enjoy all of what the Riverwalk has to offer without the traffic concerns or having to drive after spirited celebrations. I do sincerely apologize for the discomfort you experienced -it was a unique and unfortunate set of circumstances that are unlikely to happen again.

Reviewed 24 July 2014

The hotel should offer free breaskfast. Also there were severals stolen incidents over this weekend. Please do a background check on your employees, note, no one else has the keys but your housekeeping department.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Norrie M
Reviewed 22 July 2014

Arrived late to the hotel and room was dirty, found trash of napkins behind the desk area. I did not report because it was very late and did not notice the trash until the following morning. We were offered breakfast however the waiter was very rude and only came to the table once.

1  Thank Rachel M
Ruben C, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton San Antonio Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 23 July 2014

Dear RM:

Clean and friendly is fundamental in this business and based on your comments we failed on both. What you described is unacceptable and I am hopeful you will reach out to me so that we can discuss the details of what you experienced. Rest assured I will discuss these comments with our staff and will look into every detail of your stay so that I can more directly address what you described. I am hopeful you will give us another chance and let us restore your trust. I am at your service and will make it a great stay.

Reviewed 22 July 2014

Pros - Very clean place to stay on a budget. Rooms were comfortable although a little small but again on a budget not bad. Staff was very friendly from housekeeping to the front desk everyone was a class act. Restaurant was very good and actually was a lot better than most places in the city. The pool was kept up very well and clean also. Parking was very convenient and secure.

Cons - the only complaint was some scam artist got in the lobby and left flyers on people doors for pizza delivery. I was an unfortunate victim and did not receive pizza and they stop answering the phone. Fortunately i used a credit card and was able to dispute the charges. It would help them to add some security to keep out the scam artists.

Room Tip: higher rooms have less foot traffic
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Marv W

Dear M:

Thank you for your kind comments. Please reach out to me so that I can resolve any outstanding issue you may still have with the pizza folks. I will make it right immediately.
Kindest Regards-