“Always a pleasure”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Southern Pines, United States
“Always a pleasure”
Reviewed 11 June 2013

This hotel is distinctively beautiful in design and the staff are really great. It is in a very good location off the loop, near shopping restaurants and the airport and very well suited for conferences or vacation both. I have been sent here by the Army for many years but stay past the meetings because the hotel is so nice and cozy and the staff are very accomodating.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (123)
Leander, United States
Reviewed 6 June 2013

Myself and two friends were in San Antonio to attend the George Strait Concert at the Alamodome. We were treated very well upon arrival and up until we departed the next day. We look forward to staying again at the Doubletree in San Antonio or any other Doubletree in other cities. Thanks for great service

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends

Columbia, MD
Reviewed 6 June 2013

I’m not sure what it is with Hilton brand hotels in San Antonio. (See the entry below about the woman at the service desk). I am a Hilton Honors member and my girlfriend and I have stayed at plenty of Hiltons across the country, mostly Hampton Inns, but San Antonio ones have been nothing but trouble for us. This particular Doubletree Hotel was a letdown. We had stayed at an Extended Stay in Austin the night previous and it was ok. I was looking forward to staying in a Hilton brand hotel, like the Doubletree where I knew the beds and rooms would be nice. We were checking in for a concert and the hotel had been booked by a third party website. Upon waiting in line to check in we were informed that a print out was needed of the reservation for their accounting department. My girlfriend went to their business center to print it off and none of the machines were working. We were handed a card by the lady working behind the counter and told to email it to a woman who was a manager. When my girlfriend did we were told we had to wait until the manager had received it and confirmed it. Meanwhile the couple next to us were helped and given access to their room by another worker, who their manager came out as he was completing the transaction. The woman helping us meanwhile went off shift and left. When my girlfriend mentioned what was going on to the other guy, he handled it promptly and got us checked in. It took us almost an hour to check in.

The bed was nice in the room, comfortable but the bathroom had hair in it. Overall I know we did not pay full price, as it was booked on a discount website, but I can’t imagine paying full price for service and cleanliness like that. Also the only option for food in the morning was their paid restaurant, nothing was included. Personally I’d prefer to stay at a Hampton Inn, where I get more for my dollar and consistency across the board.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Julie R, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel San Antonio Airport, responded to this review, 7 June 2013
I'm sorry you had such a hard time checking-in to the hotel. Unfortunantely the 3rd party websites, require us to attach a paper confirmation in order for us to be paid. I'm surprised none of the computers in the Business Center were working, they seemed to functioning on Sunday. On that Saturday we had the longest check-in line we have experienced. It seems we don't do a very good job letting customers know about our check-in time. I reviewed your comments with the manager working at afternoon and our Front Office Manager. The feedback was also reviewed with our housekeeping staff. I appreciate your comments and understand that there are many choices. Hopefully you enjoyed the remainder of your weekend.
Fuquay-Varina, North Carolina
Reviewed 5 June 2013 via mobile

We have stayed at this venerable DoubleTree often in the 16 years we've lived in Texas. It's showing its age around the edges-worn carpet here and there and smaller rooms, especially bathrooms, than newer places but the staff is always helpfull, the prices are reasonable, and the location is great for the night before a flight out of the SA airport.

• Stayed June 2013
Moreno Valley, California
Reviewed 4 June 2013

I booked one night at this hotel for my boyfriend and I through Hotwire.com. I've booked several hotels through this third party, and when I arrive at the hotel I've booked at, the concierge already has a reservation waiting. I did have a confirmation e-mail in my phone handy. I'll start by saying that the night we checked in was the night of a busy concert in downtown San Antonio, so the hotel was quite crowded.

After waiting in line for 15 - 20 minutes, I stepped up to check-in, and the concierge asked if I had a paper print-out of my Hotwire confirmation. I said I hadn't, and she directed me to their business area to print one for her. After fidgeting with two different computers and printers, I was still unable to print the confirmation. (There seemed to be a miscommunication between the computers and printers in their "business center.") After explaining this to the female concierge, she suggested I e-mail my confirmation to her manager, and gave me a business card with a woman's name on it. I forwarded the e-mail on the spot, and the female concierge said that I would have to wait until her manager received the e-mail before I could check in.

Meanwhile; a man next to me who was being helped by a young male concierge was having the same problem. The young male concierge gave him a different e-mail address and immediately after the customer sent the e-mail from his phone (as I had just done) the young male concierge was able to check him in to the hotel. Furthermore, the man he had send the e-mail to was a manager present at the desk! The female manager my concierge was having me e-mail wasn't even present to receive the e-mail she was supposed to print out for my check in.

FURTHERMORE, while I was tinkering in their "business center" the female concierge hadn't been able to suspend my order or help any other customers. (I'm sure that was simply an impossibility...) As a result, a long line had formed behind me that stretched far across the lobby.

After bringing my situation to the attention of the young male concierge, he was able to remedy my issue almost immediately. My experience with the first woman left an awful taste that reverberated for the rest of our stay. The room was clean enough, but not worth the four-star rating Hotwire.com gave it. Also, we found hair in the sink and bathtub as soon as we walked in the room. Given the choice, I would take an Extended Stay America over this facility!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
My apologies for the trouble you had checking-in to the hotel. Sad but true, we need a paper confirmation in order for us to receive payment from Hotwire for your room. On Saturday before the concert, ALL of the rooms came to check-in, way before our established time of 4:00pm. As you saw we were not prepared for that volume of guests at the same time. We reviewed it after the fact, but doesn't help you. I heard the concert was fanastic and hopefully we didn't ruin your weekend, the staff did the best they could under the circumstance. Thank you for your feedback, without we would be unable to improve our services.
Waxahachie, United States
Reviewed 4 June 2013

We were very satisfied with our visit, alittle disappointed with our TV. When we visit San Antonio we love to stay at this hotel, this is our granddaughters hotel as well, she loves staying here. So every time were in San Antonio we try to stay at this hotel and we have family we could stay with but this hotel feels very homey, by the way our granddaughter is only 8 years old. Loves it it here.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family

Orlando, Florida
Reviewed 1 June 2013

From our first contact with our shuttle bus driver, to the last contact at the airport on the way back, the customer service was spot on. Our room was clean and organized, as expected, and of the quality we expect from DoubleTree. The bed was comfortable and allowed us to sleep - maybe oversleep a tiny bit. Of course the cookie was a great way to end the night (and the second half a great way to start the morning!) This would be an obvious choice for a return trip.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends