“Nice hotel- POOLSIDE MOVIES SATURDAY NIGHT”

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel San Antonio Airport
Ranked #77 of 358 Hotels in San Antonio
GreenLeadersBronze level
Lajitas, Texas
“Nice hotel- POOLSIDE MOVIES SATURDAY NIGHT”
Reviewed 8 July 2013

Stayed here over the long 4th of July weekend, check in was expedient and very nice. Cookies for me and the grandkids. The hotel is built in the Southwestern Spanish style with a courtyard in the middle for the pool area. You can have a room facing this area but I would think this would be very noisy. First night there, went to pool and it was super crowded with every size shape age and nationality of person. I was hesitant at first, but the kids quickly made friends and started playing and were having so much fun. Reminded me of my vacations with my Mom and Dad and our overnight stop at roadside hotels. Swam Saturday afternoon, not as crowded but still lots of fun and Saturday night they had a film poolside, something they are doing all summer and that was FABULOUS. Kids swam, and the restaurant and bar were serving poolside. My only complaint is that we didn't get maid service, they did change my bed sheets and my request because we spilled something, but no fresh towels or hair products and I never bring that kind of stuff when I stay at a hotel because they are already provided. But other than that little glitch, great location, great price (although I didn't get my Hilton Honors cause I booked with Hotels.com) and very happy. Would stay again.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank sterri1955
Julie R, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel San Antonio Airport, responded to this review, 11 July 2013
Thank you so nice for the review and letting folks know about our Saturday night movie. I'm so glad you enjoyed it, it is the first time offering and it is nice to hear that guest like it. Hope to see you again soon!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (125)
Corry, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 30 June 2013

This is a very nice, clean hotel very conveniently located near the airport. Rooms are good size, strong wi-fi and overall it was a very nice place to stay while on business. The morning breakfast has eggs cooked to order and is one of the best buffets I have seen at a mid range hotel in quite a while. Lobby area is clean and inviting. The staff were all friendly and helpful.

Room Tip: Can't go wrong staying at this hotel.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank pmgeiss
Galveston, United States
Reviewed 29 June 2013

This hotel has the friendliest staff I have experienced. I travel constantly and am not impressed easily. Everyone of the staff I encountered were friendly and helpful. The hotel has a great Spanish mission style architecture. It is a little older but you can tell that they take a lot of pride keeping it clean. I felt like I was at a resort especially the courtyard pool area.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled on business

Scottsdale, Arizona
Reviewed 25 June 2013

I'm a Hilton Honors diamond member and I've stayed at several Doubletree hotels. I often prefer them over regular Hilton hotels for their charm and good service. This particular one in San Antonio fell short on both fronts.

The check-in experience was dreadful: The guy was supposedly assistant manager (according to his name tag), yet he was cold, careless and downright arrogant. I gave him my HHonors #, but it still didn't prompt him to even say welcome. I asked for a nice room and was interrupted with "all our rooms are nice" before I could continue to request one away from the noisy freeway. Got the keys and breakfast coupons, and I think he might have mumbled "have a nice day" before he yelled "can I help who's next" to the next person in line.

Hmm, okay. Went up to the room and found it to be right smack facing the freeway. The balcony doors couldn't close properly and the road noise was significant. Back down to the front desk where fortunately the "charismatic" assistant manager was busy doing something else. Another clerk switched my room to one at least facing an ugly - but quiet parking lot. Still, the balcony doors were in sad shape but since it was on the third floor security wasn't an issue.

My family and I enjoyed the hotel's unique architecture and its older charm. The breakfast was great, especially due to the hostess and waitress. Good food, too.

Upon checkout the next morning, I took time to fill out a survey card and dropped it in the box at the front desk - essentially recapping the poor check-in experience. Never heard back, so the arrogance probably extends above the fellow I dealt with. What a shame.

Room Tip: Stay away from freeway side. Consider getting a room facing the interior (pool area).
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
Julie R, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel San Antonio Airport, responded to this review, 27 June 2013
Please accept my apologies for the problems you had while checking in. I go through all of our guest comment cards and respond. I just went back through the cards from April and didn't locate one mentioning an Asst. mgr. I'm sorry you were treated so rudely. I review all comments from guest at our Daily Stand-up and will certainly cover your experience to insure it doesn't happen again. I have also had our Chief Engineer checking our balcony doors.
Broussard, United States
Reviewed 25 June 2013

Loved my stay, cant wait to visit another Double Tree. Rooms were clean, Pool was clean, pool area was amazing. Staff were very friendly and very informative. Great Location. Parking was a little tight at night. And EXCELLENT COOKIES !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family

bfleb433
Reviewed 21 June 2013 via mobile

The hotel is quite nice and well maintained. The staff friendly and well trained. This is a good hotel. I am taking points off for road noise. Yes it is off 410 and some noise is to be expected. That said the roomwas far noisier than it should have been. Ask for a room in the back and away from 410.

• Stayed June 2013
Thank you for your comments regarding the staff. It wasn't clear as to why you told the the room was noisy than normal. But I will be following up with my Front Office staff. You would expect a little airport noise, of which we are fortunate to have none!

We hope to see you again when you visit San Antonio!
Las Vegas, United States
Reviewed 21 June 2013

Unfortunatly we were not received with cheerful greetings. However, we did get other clerks that were outstanding. The room was so dusty, I had to dust myself because my husband have a condition that he cant tolorate much dust. The facuet in the bathroom was leaking the toilet was dirty and the bathroom floor was dirty. If the room was cleaned correctly I would have given it a very good rating. The decor of the room was wonderful and the cooling system worked very well!!! our view was beautiful so it was not a total wash out!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

I reviewed your comments about the condition of your guest rooms at our morning Housekeeping meeting. The fact that our windows open can cause dust, that is is no excuse for the condition of the bathroom.

Hopefully the remainder of your stay was more pleasant.