“Business trip”

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel San Antonio Airport
Ranked #70 of 358 Hotels in San Antonio
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 2 July 2014

Stayed here for a total of 7 nights over a 2 week period. Both weeks I had a room overlooking the pool in the courtyard. There was access to the balcony but there weren't any chairs to sit outside. The rooms were in decent shape and could use some updating. During the second week of my stay there was an issue with the bedding which smelled funny. The hotel did send housekeeping up to my room at 10pm to change the sheets. That helped a little but I went down to the front desk in the morning and explained what happened the front desk manager made sure that they changed out everything on my bed. I actually had a note left to me by housekeeping letting me know that everything was changed on the bed. Needless to say the smell was gone and everything was good. I've only eaten breakfast in the hotel which has been ok but there is a major mall just across the interstate so there are plenty of options to eat besides the hotel

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Kym M, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel San Antonio Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 4 July 2014

Hello Jeff B,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on TripAdvisor after your recent stay with us. Your feedback assists us with improving and we greatly appreciate it.

I am happy to read of our team's effort and communication with you to make it right with your bedding. I am sorry you had this issue with your stay. I would welcome an opportunity to speak more about your stay at your convenience and ask that you either email or call me at my contact information below. Your opinions are always valued and I always want to hear feedback.

Thank you once again for your review on our hotel. We do hope to see you again the next time you need accommodations in San Antonio.

210.321.4801 (direct)

Write a ReviewReviews (1,218)

Reviewed 30 June 2014

We stayed at this hotel over the last weekend and booked through a third party;Hotels.com which we thought it would be as planned. We requested early book in since we were traveling 4hrs away- the special requests are NOT guaranteed so keep an open mind and have no expectations. We arrived around noon and we were told by the desk clerk that check ins were not until 3:00/3:30; the couples around us had the same luck. Stayed for a few minutes to take photos of the lobby and cool off,then we went across the street for lunch to Jason's Deli.; in this hotel there is a bus station right in front of it which is very convenient. Had gone back around 4pm and checked in,to our courtyard, king sized bed room. Were given warm cookies and water bottles and off we went. The inside is nice because it is an open courtyard with a skylight to let natural light come in. The decoration looks Spanish with the wrought iron. Walking through the hallways it doesn't smell pleasant; I am very sensitive to smells and this one was probably the smell of old building?? I don't think it was mold...got to our room and we are definitely not in the courtyard and our view is the other side of the parking lot which was kind of dissapointing; we inquired about it and we were told that it is what you get for booking through third parties and they were overbooked; we made the best of it and walked the courtyard and noticed a lovely old-style Spanish elevator so we went to the pool and noticed that the roof had a net almost invisible to prevent birds and their accidents fall into the guests and premises. The kids were playing so it wasn't quiet but it was fine since we were just resting a bit until someone decided to light a cigar nearby; that is worse than the rowdy children; as we were leaving the staff was setting up for Friday movie night. Our room had the King Sized bed it promised, flat screen tv with no tv guide, the info button on the remote didn't work so you had to guess what you were watching. The AC worked great,the room had no fridge so we had to request one and was promptly obliged.The radio next to the bed was pretty neat ; it had pre-programmed stations to set the mood for whatever you felt like. Spacious desk and loveseat. There is a small coffee pot in the room keurig style and a pantry underneath it. The bathroom looked small but it was fine, the towels were nice and crisp and the tub was pretty big; the shower head had different options of settings. We were gone for most of the day and came back to rest;it was past 11pm- there was a major ruckus coming in from the pool area so we avoided that elevator; get to our room and there was noise coming out of every corner in the next room; the kids were been very loud; it sounded like they were jumping on the bed; slamming doors, screaming, laughing. I understand they are children but also the time of the day wasn't the best to make all that noise. We took it for a while hoping they would settle down and they didn't so we called downstairs and they were going to send 'security' up. We never heard anyone walking around or knocking on their door and the noise kept going; it was to the point that wearing earbuds with music you could still hear it. I could take airplane noise better any day rather than rowdy children; which btw barely heard any planes and the airport is right around the corner. Next day, we we sightseeing for most of the day and came back to a clean room, new towels and the bed freshly made at night time had a crying baby next door which it can't be controlled as well but still; the walls are kinda thin.I might stay at this hotel again but wasn't truly impressed.

Room Tip: Do not book through third parties, Courtyard rooms have glass doors, not solid doors. Could see peop...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank alexkahayna
Kym M, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel San Antonio Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 1 July 2014

Hello alexkahayna,

Thank you for taking the time to write a detailed review on TripAdvisor after your recent stay with us. Your feedback will assist us with improving and we appreciate it.

After reading your comments, it looks like you had a mixed review from your stay. I am sorry for our lack of attention in some areas and those will be followed up on with our team. Regardless of who you booked your room through, all guests are treated fairly and the same and from what I read it didn't seem that way with our response back to you. I would welcome an opportunity to speak to you about your stay at your convenience and ask that you please either email or call me at my contact information below. I always want to hear feedback when it comes to improvements.

Thank you again for your review and we do hope to see you again the next time you come to San Antonio.

Reviewed 29 June 2014

Hotel has good bones and is in a great location for shopping. Facility is a little dated, but not a deal breaker. Ask for a room. It on the pool courtyard if you do bot have pre-teen kids. Very noisy with kids screaming until 10pm, but if you are with kids might be a great option. The outside elevator was constantly wet with kids playing on it. The other elevators were dirty. The general condition of the hotel seems to not be well-kept.

At least three times I had to go and ask for my key card to be changed. No apology. Just changed. Twice I heard other guests asking for the name of the general manager as I am guessing they also had concerns.

What I wanted to comment more on was the service. Not impressed. There seem to be an adequate number of employees, but what surprised me for being a Hilton, was the lack of training and cross-training at this hotel. While the employees were not in anyway rude, they did not seem to be trained to give good customer service, and in fact, did not even seem to know how to speak or address guests.

Someone name Rafael at the front desk did make a situation right for me, so I do recognize they're trying. To me, the hotel was clearly a C; however, I think it could easily be a B.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo

Hello Juandf023,

Thank you for writing a review on TripAdvisor after your recent stay with us. We greatly appreciate your feedback and time.

I am sorry for the poor experience you received with our hotel, especially with having to get your key redone with no apology. Please be assured this is an area we will address as at some point one of our team members should have accompanied you to your room. We appreciate you mentioning Rafael as someone who was trying to assist you and we'll be sure to let him know of his great efforts. I would welcome an opportunity to speak to you regarding your stay and ask that you contact me at your convenience. If you can recall or think of anything additional that would have made your stay more enjoyable, please either email or call me at my contact information below. I always want to hear feedback.

Thank you again for your review and we do hope you'll give us the opportunity to have you stay with us again the next time you come to San Antonio.

Reviewed 29 June 2014

We're here now and the rooms are average in size but having stayed in other Doubletrees, this one seems lacking overall. Our room has "french" doors with glass inserts so when you leave, it's hard to close the curtain all the way to keep other guests from seeing inside and looking at all your stuff. The restaurant here is dead, the bar is worse and the gift shop is poorly stock and closed anyway.

However, the beds are comfy enough with nice pillows (and plenty of them) and the towels in the bathroom are much nicer than and average hotel. There is a 42" plasma TV but no other extras in the room....not even a magazine touting all that San Antonio has to offer.

Hello Mike92057,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on TripAdvisor after your recent stay with us. Your feedback is very much appreciated.

I am disappointed to read of your average stay with us and I am sorry for the services, or lack there of, we provided were not up to what you have come to expect from a Hilton branded hotel. As a seasoned traveler, I am sure this seemed much more lackluster. We do appreciate, however, your comments on the room. If you can think of anything additional that would have made your stay more enjoyable, please either email or call me at my contact information below. I am open to learning more and I always want to hear feedback.

Thank you again for your review and we hope you will give us another opportunity to have you as our guest the next time you need accommodations in San Antonio.

Reviewed 29 June 2014

A select few of your staff members were very rude and unpleasant to approach. They were suppose to supply transportation for our group for two weeks to Fort Sam but when we got there we were told they were not going to in a very rude way.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton
Kym M, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel San Antonio Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 2 July 2014

Hello Lisa B,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on TripAdvisor after your recent stay with us. We greatly appreciate your feedback.

I am very disappointed to read about the issues with transportation for your military group to Fort Sam. I am sorry we were unaccommodating to you and your group as that was not our intention but somehow that is what happened. I would like to learn more about the issues you encountered and ask that you contact me at your convenience at my contact information below. I want to hear all feedback as it is the foundation to improving our service and quality.

Thank you again for your review and I do look forward to speaking to you soon. We do hope that you will give us another opportunity to have you as our guest the next time you come back to San Antonio so that we may show you how well we can truly treat you.

Reviewed 27 June 2014

The Doubletree by Hilton had spacious rooms and a great courtyard and pool area where we shared a great supper and relaxed. Warm greetings by staff and tasty warm cookies. They made you feel home on the road for sure.

Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton
Kym M, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel San Antonio Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 30 June 2014

Hello Andrew N,

We are thrilled to read how much you enjoyed your stay! Thank you for your kind words. If you can think of anything additional that would have made your stay even more enjoyable, please either email or call me at my contact information below. I always want to hear feedback.

Thank you again for your review and we look forward to seeing you again the next time you come to San Antonio.

Reviewed 26 June 2014

Great place Very Clean Great pool/hot tub Nice fitness room Friendly staff Great location Good cookies!!!! Family oriented I would def recommend this hotel to my friends and family. This will b a place i stay when in San antonio

Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton
Kym M, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel San Antonio Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 28 June 2014

Hello U9738PEmartinr,

We are so happy to read how much you enjoyed your stay and thank you for recommending us to your family and friends! We also lover our cookies and our great location near so many things. If you can think of anything additional that would have made your stay even more enjoyable, please either email or call me at my contact information below. I always want to hear feedback.