“Beautiful Hotel but wedding stay problems here”

Hilton Palacio del Rio
Ranked #13 of 358 Hotels in San Antonio
Dallas
“Beautiful Hotel but wedding stay problems here”
Reviewed 17 January 2012

I stayed in this hotel when I was a little girl and in December 2011, my daughter got married in La Vallita on the Riverwalk and this was our wedding hotel. We were very excited. The hotel has been renovated and is very lovely but ( note here: I had decided not to write the following but when I read here that they had tried to over charge people I had to) ...I sadly could not recommend using this as your wedding hotel. We had such a hard time with our reservations. We had a block of rooms and every one had to get their reservations by a certain time. When I started trying to book our family block, ti was just a mess. I would wait and wait, they would say they would get back to me, then my daughter tried, then my husband. I can go online myself and book a room any where in two minutes. I would be waiting weeks( yes, I said weeks) to hear back) For our family, we were only trying to book 4 rooms. ( others were getting their own) Finally, we got it all settled. Then came the wedding. I'll agree with a reviewer who said the check in was slow...and it was odd because there was staff. The renovations were not finished ( but they had inferred they might still be going on. so I'll just say, that part was not great) The wedding went beautifully and we will have good memories at the Hilton in that way for sure. But more problems came after. We had returned form the wedding and got our total billing....they had charged us for two rooms for the same guest. We said "but he was here and he stayed in his room...what is this other room in his name? He can't stay in two rooms" They said they had two rooms in his name. We said that was impossible and we did not have two confirmation numbers. They pretty much said prove it. Then we heard the parents of the groom were having trouble with their billing as well. We were never able to get our problem resolved. They just claimed we had booked two rooms for him. They would not give the money back. It was crazy. So I can't recommend the hotel for your wedding, if you are planning. Other: The staff was so so... the food at the restaurant high but I expected as much.
The hotel is beautiful, the rooms on the smaller side because it is an old hotel but they were beautifully renovated and the location fabulous. It was Christmas so just beautiful as always with the Christmas Lights . I hope this review helps those of you having a wedding. Our wedding went very smoothly aside from the booking and billing problems with this Hilton. But that is such a critical piece of every destination wedding.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (664)
Cancun, Mexico
Reviewed 15 January 2012

This is the worst Hilton I have ever been and one of the most unpleasant hotel experiences in general (if I take out of the equation "motel 6" and similar.
It started with the check in
I was the only one checking in at that time. There were 3 clerks at the reception, 2 women and one man. One of the women was busy with a very big folder, the man looked at me as I was invisible so i went to the remaining woman. When she saw me approaching she said:"he will be with you soon". I went to "him", and "he" left without a word. Very reluctantly, the lady checked me in after a while. the keys did not open the door. The elevators took for ever to arrive. Sometimes one has to wait 10-15 minutes until you get one to stop. The food in the Ibiza (the hotel's restaurant) is edible, but not more than edible. They also tried to charge me 3 days of internet for 2 days stay.
In short: STAY AWAY FROM IT

Room Tip: Choose a good room=choose a different hotel
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank oaxaca2
San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed 14 January 2012

I stayed at the Hilton Palacio del Rio overnight during my oral boards for board certification in psychiatry. The rooms were blocked out specifically for this purpose several months before. Unfortunately, they scheduled the entire block of rooms full of doctors facing a major once in a lifetime (hopefully) professional exam directly below a ballroom with full band set-up and a wedding party scheduled to be rocking the house until midnight. When made aware of the difficulty, they offered earplugs. The hotel and amenities are quite nice, but I would strongly recommend that no major professional organization schedule their national exam or training accommodations here ever.

Room Tip: Do not come here for business
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank K C
Tucson, Arizona
Reviewed 14 January 2012

I am a hilton rewards member and stay at a lot of hotel but wow, the service here is unreal in a great way. Don't know if it's because they are doing some remodeling, but our first room was loud and so we asked to be moved, seamless move instantly. Comped us dinner, drink and dessert...and drink included my beer! Comped breakfast too. Faxed a document for free. Wait staff so attentive and caring. I tipped the heck out of these people because of the kindness and excellent service...although it says gratuity included I am always worried as service staff tend to be under tipped. Anyway, rooms have motion detecting lights in bath and closet, really good coffee and machines that work, great bath products. It feels like a boutique hotel only bigger. Have a room looking at the river walk and it's got a balcony and the warm sun was nice to sit and enjoy this mid january day. I have stayed here before and it sure seems like a different place. They certainly have gained by allegiance!

• Stayed January 2012
1 Thank AzCarolTucson
Las Cruces
Reviewed 6 January 2012

The Hilton has recently gone through renovations. The result – a very comfortable, well designed home away from home! We stayed in December of 2011. We were presently surprised when we walked into our room. We had been told that there were renovations, but they were far more extensive than we ever dreamed they would be. Each room now has a large 37” plasma screen and modern up-to-date work stations with thoughtful access to plugs and network access if you desire. I like the small refrigerator because you could see through it to know what you had stored. The beds were comfortable, the bathroom clean with a wonderful showerhead for a terrific shower. This hotel also has a patio overlooking either the riverwalk or the city. Along with these things I must say that I highly recommend this hotel not just because of the the nice comfortable beds or a clock radio with MP3 connection – it is the friendly staff that makes the difference. One more plus - a great location in the center of the riverwalk. Stay at the Palacio – you will be very glad you did!

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Nyeta
Reviewed 30 December 2011

Right on river. Walk out the back door and you are on the riverwalk. Cross over on the walking bridge and hop a boat for a historic tour of the river area. Takes about 35 minutes and costs $8.00. You also get a chance to scope out the riverside restaurants and pick one to come back to later. The hotel iteself is part of the tour due to its unique construction. Currently undergoing renovations which will be completed in January of 2012, the hotel is fully operational. Beautiful room with king bed overlooking the river. Will be returning here in the future.

Room Tip: Pay a little extra to be on the river side of the hotel. 10th floor and above and the late night re...
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Courthouserancher
New Haven, CT
Reviewed 29 December 2011

I stayed over Christmas visiting family in San Antonio and got a great rate here. I wanted a place with a little more character than the cookie-cutter hotels. My room was on the 19th floor and was renovated very nicely with a glassed-in shower. Everything was clean, working and beautiful -- except for an overly-stylish sink fixture that wasn't very functional. The staff was very friendly. As a Hilton club member, I was surprised to get coupons for the breakfast buffet at the restaurant downstairs, which was great -- even on Christmas day. The only problem I had was parking -- the self-park was a block away, on the 7th floor of a parking garage, and the elevator was broken one day - and it cost over $20. But, I was lazy and paid for it. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled solo